IGNORED

Which Sand Wedge?

Note: This thread is 3945 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm looking for some advice regarding purchasing a sand wedge.  I'm playing with a set of RAZR X irons 5 through a 44 degree PW.  I'm in the process of looking at wedges to complete the set and have decided to start with a 54 degree sand wedge.  All my irons have graphite shafts.

Options are a Callaway Jaws CC that's a 54-12 Dynamic Gold steel shaft or a Jaws CC that's a 54-16 Fuji 85 graphite shaft.  Regarding my bounce needs, my golfing takes place mid-Atlantic so courses aren't too hard-baked nor at they real soft. Somewhere in the middle.

Should I go with the lower bounce 54-12 even though it's got a steel shaft and I'm playing graphite on my irons.  Or should I be consistent in the shafts and go with the 54-16 with the Fuji graphite?  Is 16 too much bounce? I'd be using the club in sand traps as well as fairways.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Welcome to the Sandtrap! If used correctly, more bounce is actually better. Btw, are you going to be getting anything in between the pitching wedge and the sand wedge? That is ten degrees of loft in between the two.

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, I plan to eventually add a GW to bridge the distance between the PW and SW.  Guess I probably should acquire both the SW and GW at the same time, but I'm trying to spread out the cost.

From my perspective sixteen degrees bounce sounds okay for sand, especially if it is fluffy. I, however, would have trouble with that as my "close in" club since I lack the skill to hit short pitches with a club with that much bounce. That is just me, of course.

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

Note: This thread is 3945 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!