IGNORED

And the Sub 80 eludes me

trackster
Note: This thread is 3920 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm entering my 6 year of golf.  With the weather in ND i get to golf for about 3 months of the year.  I broke 100 in my first year and 90 the next.  I have been stuck in the 80s for quite some time with a best of 85.  I have had many nines in the high 30's but I have never quite put together a great 18.  Here is how my round went today.

Par 72  72.1/121

1. Birdie

2. Bogey

3. Par

4. Bogey

5. Birdie

6. Par

7. Par

8. Bogey

9. Par

Shot a career best 36 (+1) on the front with 14 puts

10. Bogey

11. Par

12. Double (found one of the nice rock hard concrete bunkers on my second shot and had no chance to get it close)

13. Birdie

14. Bogey

15. Par

16. Bogey (3 putted after my birdie chance lipped out)

17. Par

I came the the par 5 18th needing a double or better to shoot 79.  I pulled my drive to the left about 7 yards behind a tree.  I decided to aim right and punch out  to the fairway.  I obviously did not aim far enough right as my ball hits off the tree and flies right out of bounds.  I aimed much farther right on my fourth and got the ball back to the fairway played my fifth to about 30 yards from the green and chipped up to about 10 feet.  I needed this putt to shoot 79.  Of course the ball lips out and I have to settle for an 80.  On the bright side I have something to look forward too next time.  I might just skip the sub 80s goal and go straight to par.

• Upvote 1

Well my friend, I would be in 7th heaven with a round like that. Congratulations!

I've been playing off and on for about 35 years, nothing serious, little practice, but getting old. I play once a week on average from the 6200 yard markers. Me and my buddies are old farts 66-73 years, but still party like it's 1965. My best round ever was 90, so I assume you're young and I'm sure the 70's are in the future.

Good luck.

Only playing six years and regularly shooting in the 80's...  Keep up the good work.  I remember shooting my first sub 80 round 42 years ago. When it finally comes make a note in your journal.  You will look back at it someday with fond memories.

I have been playing 50+ years, and when I hit 60 I lost about 30-40 yards off of the tee.  To compensate, I have worked very hard on my short game and putter. That has made a big difference in keeping my handicap in single digits (9.2).  Last Monday I shot 79 by birding #18.  Today I shot 79 and bogied 17 and 18.  As I get older, I know that shooting in the 70's might not last many more years, but I am enjoying the journey as long as I can.

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

I always had a hard time mentally avoiding those kind of blowups when I've been close to shooting in the 70s, and still do at times, but it gets easier to keep it together as you do it more.

Most of the golf I play is in a 4 man choose up against other teams with the lowest two scores counting on every hole.

My best scores are usually in that format because I'm really not thinking about my score at all, and it's so far in the back of my mind that it doesn't even register until I add it up at the end. I'm just going along trying to help the team double birdie as many holes as we can, and much more worried about trying to get the team score to at least 6 or 7 under for each side so I can go home with some money in my pocket.

At the end of the round I'm often surprised that I played very well (and usually my best) on those days when the team score wasn't as good as I was shooting for.

The flip side is that sometimes if I have a couple of teammates that are lighting it up and a win is almost guaranteed (rare but it happens) it's easy for me to become a spectator and let my own game go to crap.

I guess that all means that I care a lot more about winning money than my golf score...???

Originally Posted by MS256

Most of the golf I play is in a 4 man choose up against other teams with the lowest two scores counting on every hole.

My best scores are usually in that format because I'm really not thinking about my score at all, and it's so far in the back of my mind that it doesn't even register until I add it up at the end. I'm just going along trying to help the team double birdie as many holes as we can, and much more worried about trying to get the team score to at least 6 or 7 under for each side so I can go home with some money in my pocket.

At the end of the round I'm often surprised that I played very well (and usually my best) on those days when the team score wasn't as good as I was shooting for.

The flip side is that sometimes if I have a couple of teammates that are lighting it up and a win is almost guaranteed (rare but it happens) it's easy for me to become a spectator and let my own game go to crap.

I guess that all means that I care a lot more about winning money than my golf score...???

Exactly the point I was about to make.  Breaking 80 for the first time is tough because when you're getting close you want to shoot in the 70's so freakin bad, but after you've done it you start doing it without noticing.  Some of my best rounds have been with buddies where the golf seems secondary to hanging out and I only realize how low I shot when we get finished.

I recently shot a 79 on Thursday of last week.. First time breaking 80 on a 6379 yard course 68.7/111.. Got me so stoked that I ended up shooting a 104 yesterday and a 98 today on different courses! Lol.. I'm taking a break the next few days no hitting balls or playing.. When I play I usually shoot for bogey each hole.. Bogey golf for me is a good score.. But ever since I shot a 79 all I've wanted to do is to shoot in the 70s again. So i was putting a lot of pressure on myself to hit par each hole when before I would be ok with getting on the green on 3 then 2 putt.. Gotta get back into that bogey golf mentality!

I think others have been right on the money in saying that they didn't know where they stood score-wise. I used to keep track of my score during the round. I didn't realize it then, but it wasn't good for my game. If I had a terrible start, I would just get into the mindset that it was a throwaway round... If I was in great position after 15 holes, I put more pressure on myself. Now, I just write a score on the card for a hole and move on. I don't even add them up after nine. This past Thusday in league, we finished and my partner asked if I shot 1 or 2 over par. I knew I played well, but had to add up my score to see what I shot. On the flip side, if I play poorly, it's usually not as bad as I thought once I add it up. Unless your in a tournament and are close to the lead, your running score is irrelevant. Just focus on playing your game and managing the course, and I'll bet you'll actually learn that you broke 80 only AFTER you've holed your last putt.

I don't carry around a score card so I have to make a mental note as to how my score is in relation to par.  I wouldn't really call my not shooting 80 a mental break down, It was just rotten luck.  I have carded 6 birdies in my last two rounds so I think it is just a matter of time before I start challenging the low 70s.

Making birdies is definitely important, it gives you room to feel like you can make bogeys and keeps your confidence up.  Looking at your scorecard you'll definitely pull it off soon, but I will say that shooting even par is a lot harder than breaking 80.

Making birdies is definitely important, it gives you room to feel like you can make bogeys and keeps your confidence up.  Looking at your scorecard you'll definitely pull it off soon, but I will say that shooting even par is a lot harder than breaking 80.

Shooting par isn't that hard... All you have to do is hit most of your GIR then 2 putt.. If you don't hit GIR you just gotta get it up and down! It's that simple! You people make it seem like golf is difficult! ;)

I remember the first time I broke 90 and will never forget it.  I have done it more than once since (although it is the exception, not the rule) and can't remember any of those rounds, but the 87 that I carded last fall, won't forget that any time soon.

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

I'm in the same boat as you. My lowest round to date is an 82 and have shot even par and +1 on 9 holes so far this year. Last Sunday I shot an 84 with 47 on the front and 37 on the back. No worse than bogey (aside from one or two at the most), a bunch of pars and a birdie or two is the way I see myself getting under 80. Getting into a groove as early as possible is key. How that happens exactly, I don't know . When I do get in the groove, it's like I know what I'm doing out there.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by clearwaterms

I remember the first time I broke 90 and will never forget it.  I have done it more than once since (although it is the exception, not the rule) and can't remember any of those rounds, but the 87 that I carded last fall, won't forget that any time soon.

I've only broken 90 one time, and I used a mulligan, so I don't count it. :(

The sub 90 eludes me.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Pete and Repeat. Mark scores but forget about total. 1 hole at a time. It should be "Oh S@!t I just shot 78!"

Do this a few times and then you won't care as much. And once you do shoot 70's frequently enough that you don't care then you are done because the chances of ever breaking 70 are remote for most of us.

Originally Posted by jaysquared

Shooting par isn't that hard... All you have to do is hit most of your GIR then 2 putt.. If you don't hit GIR you just gotta get it up and down! It's that simple! You people make it seem like golf is difficult! ;)

Haha, golf is as easy or hard as you think it is I guess

I'm a beginner to say the least. I'd do anything to shoot 80 some day. My best score right now is a 112. I started playing last summer and am trying to start playing more. I have only been playing about once a month but I'd like to start playing 3-4 times a week. Just lacking consistency but I know that comes with just playing. Hope you break 80 soon. My next milestone is 100. Lets do it!

Originally Posted by skinnydriver2

I'm a beginner to say the least. I'd do anything to shoot 80 some day. My best score right now is a 112. I started playing last summer and am trying to start playing more. I have only been playing about once a month but I'd like to start playing 3-4 times a week. Just lacking consistency but I know that comes with just playing. Hope you break 80 soon. My next milestone is 100. Lets do it!

Just remember, “Focus on the journey not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it.”

-Greg Anderson

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

Note: This thread is 3920 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!