• Announcements

    • iacas

      Create a Signature!   02/05/2016

      Everyone, go here and edit your signature this week: http://thesandtrap.com/settings/signature/.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kevin18

Did Tiger earn back any of your respect?

84 posts in this topic

Hello,

So as of yesterday, Tiger and Sergio were reportedly shaking hands and talking to one another on the range at Merion. This being said, it gives some hint of Tiger forgiving Sergio for his comments. Do you believe that is a new side of Tiger, and therefore do you respect him any more after the whole scandal?

I, personally, have MOSTLY always still respected Tiger because I tried to keep thinking of just how successful he was to golf and not let his personal woes get in the way. He has done things  that were supernatural, un-humane. The fact that he forgives Sergio shows that Tiger might still has a heart.

However, that's just my personal opinion. How do you feel about it?
Thanks so much and may god bless you all!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Originally Posted by Kevin18

I, personally, have MOSTLY always still respected Tiger because I tried to keep thinking of just how successful he was to golf and not let his personal woes get in the way. He has done things  that were supernatural, un-humane. The fact that he forgives Sergio shows that Tiger might still has a heart.

Now that is funny!

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Haha yes, I meant the supernatural as the golf and the un-humane as the personal life.
I guess both things may be considered supernatural as well though haha :P

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Kevin18

Haha yes, I meant the supernatural as the golf and the un-humane as the personal life.

No you didn't.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yes I did? Calling someone's golf game "un-humane" doesn't even make grammatical sense

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have great respect for Tiger's ability as a golfer.

As a person... not so much.  I'm afraid his "personal woes" reflect a flawed personality that is very much "all about me, and to hell with everyone else."  This isn't some guy that fell for his secretary or something, he was banging everything money could buy while his beautiful wife stayed home tending his children.

Before all that, I was thinking he was the next Nicklaus.  Now I don't care how many tournaments he wins, he'll never make it to that class.  I do not think the guy reflects well on the game or the PGA, and a handshake and chit-chat on the driving range isn't going to change it.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw the exchange, I'd say Tiger did the bear minimum to let Sergio off the hook.  Let's face it, these guys are never going to be best buds.  Tiger did the right thing and shook his hand but I'm sure Tiger still feels the whole incident (club pull whining) was completely overblown by Sergio and unnecessary.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thank you PirateJim for actually answering the question and getting the forum back on topic. This is a good start. I see where you are coming from and you're right. He'll never be in the same class personality wise as, let's say a Bobby Jones or like you said, a Nicklaus, but as for ability wise, we as amateurs can only amaze at his brilliant feats.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golftalkcentral/samsung-newsdesk-woods-garcia-shake-hands/?hj=xfs

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I saw the exchange, I'd say Tiger did the bear minimum to let Sergio off the hook.  Let's face it, these guys are never going to be best buds.  Tiger did the right thing and shook his hand but I'm sure Tiger still feels the whole incident (club pull whining) was completely overblown by Sergio and unnecessary.

Now we have some inside information as I did not personally see the exchange myself. Would you say he was cold and shut down, or did he seem interested and considerate?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Always maintained the utmost respect for him as a golfer, and as one who is always searching for a better way for his game.

As a person, I hope he grows. Consider his background and upbringing ... and relative shelter as a golf prodigy. Don't know if he can observe himself, see the flaws, and wake up.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

...he never lost my respect.

if an athlete is a cheat in his sport (i.e. steroids in baseball), he loses my respect.

if an athlete is a cheat in his personal life, it's none of my business.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

Always maintained the utmost respect for him as a golfer, and as one who is always searching for a better way for his game.

As a person, I hope he grows. Consider his background and upbringing ... and relative shelter as a golf prodigy. Don't know if he can observe himself, see the flaws, and wake up

I don't think it could be put into any better words. Great point.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by RoyJeeBiv

...he never lost my respect.

if an athlete is a cheat in his sport (i.e. steroids in baseball), he loses my respect.

if an athlete is a cheat in his personal life, it's none of my business.

This. 100%. I'm never gonna be Tiger Woods' friend, so why should I care if he's a douchebag? His game speaks for itself. He's the best there is, and quite possibly the greatest of all time.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Kevin18

Now we have some inside information as I did not personally see the exchange myself. Would you say he was cold and shut down, or did he seem interested and considerate?

Tiger was on the range practicing, he stopped hitting balls when Sergio approached him.  They shook hands, exchanged a couple of words and Tiger appeared to indicate they were good and then turned around and went back to hitting balls.

I'd say Tiger was indifferent, possibly because he doesn't like Sergio or because his head was in practicing and getting ready for the US Open.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Tiger was on the range practicing, he stopped hitting balls when Sergio approached him.  They shook hands, exchanged a couple of words and Tiger appeared to indicate they were good and then turned around and went back to hitting balls.

I'd say Tiger was indifferent, possibly because he doesn't like Sergio or because his head was in practicing and getting ready for the US Open.

Hmm, that's what I should have thought. The usual "indifferent" Tiger. It's quite strange because when I watch old footage of Tiger, he seemed so full of life and enthusiastic. He seemed like he was enjoying the game and actually having fun.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Kevin18

Hello,

So as of yesterday, Tiger and Sergio were reportedly shaking hands and talking to one another on the range at Merion. This being said, it gives some hint of Tiger forgiving Sergio for his comments. Do you believe that is a new side of Tiger, and therefore do you respect him any more after the whole scandal?

I, personally, have MOSTLY always still respected Tiger because I tried to keep thinking of just how successful he was to golf and not let his personal woes get in the way. He has done things  that were supernatural, un-humane. The fact that he forgives Sergio shows that Tiger might still has a heart.

However, that's just my personal opinion. How do you feel about it?

Thanks so much and may god bless you all!

Shorty, go easy on him, he's just a kid.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Kevin18

Hello,

So as of yesterday, Tiger and Sergio were reportedly shaking hands and talking to one another on the range at Merion. This being said, it gives some hint of Tiger forgiving Sergio for his comments. Do you believe that is a new side of Tiger, and therefore do you respect him any more after the whole scandal?

No more or no less. Tiger gave up the obligatory handshake. It was almost a non-event. I never saw it as a scandal, just more as an event of insensitive stupidity and diarrhea of the mouth. I don't really think Tiger lost any sleep over it. Tiger has faced bigger adversity than Sergio's whining.

I, personally, have MOSTLY always still respected Tiger because I tried to keep thinking of just how successful he was to golf and not let his personal woes get in the way. He has done things  that were supernatural, un-humane. The fact that he forgives Sergio shows that Tiger might still has a heart.

However, that's just my personal opinion. How do you feel about it?

Thanks so much and may god bless you all!

It was so not a Kumbaya, hug it out moment. I see it as this:

Sergio: "My bad"

Tiger: "K"

*shake hands*

Does Tiger have a heart? Sure he does. Does this show it? Not exactly.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0