IGNORED

Proposal: "The People's Open"

TTH83
Note: This thread is 3942 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm pretty excited for the U.S. Open. It's my favorite tournament, as it is for a lot of people. I think one of the reasons so many people especially like the Open is because it's one of those tournaments where pros get beat up the way weekend golfers do every time they go out (of course, a pro getting beat up by a course might mean +5 whereas a duffer getting beat up means a much higher score).

I was talking about this with some friends at the office, and we started wondering how pros would do when faced with the conditions that many weekend golfers play in on a regular basis. To that end, we started spitballing rules for a special tournament, the People's Open. I thought I'd toss out what we came up with and see if you guys had any ideas.

The People's Open: Tournament Rules

1. The Tournament must take place at a public golf course that fulfills all of the following conditions:

-- The course must have never hosted a professional event at any level or an NCAA event;

-- The course must not have won any awards for course design or player experience;

-- The greens fee for the general public to play 18 holes cannot be any more than $50.

2. The organization responsible for the course may not take any extraordinary steps to prepare the course for the Tournament. The course should in the same condition as it would be for a normal day of play. Course personnel may not deviate from previously established schedules for aerating greens, remediating crab grass, etc.

3. Players must use carts. No caddies are permitted.

4. If the course provides players with a yardage book in its usual course of business, it may provide players with a copy of the same book. If not, players may bring their own yardage books, provided that no other person aided in the preparation of the book.

5. Each day of the tournament, the first groups to start each morning and afternoon will consist of four amateurs. All of the amateurs in each group must have handicaps of at least 17, and at least two of the amateurs must have handicaps of at least 27. The amateurs may not allow any other groups to play through.

6. All other players will play in foursomes consisting of three professionals and one randomly selected amateur. The amateur may, at his or her discretion, carry a cell phone and use it as necessary. The spouses, children, and co-workers of these amateurs will not be informed of the amateur's participation in the tournament.

7. Beer cart girls will circulate the course and may interrupt play as needed. All amateurs will be given a forty dollar allowance for refreshments during the round, all of which must be spent by the round's conclusion.

8. Side-betting is encouraged. Successful side-bets, won skins, won Nassaus, and any other forms of wagering will be factored into the player's tournament score.

9. Official observers are forbidden. All rules remain in force; however, policing the rules will be the sole responsibility of the players.

10. Players must drink no fewer than eight, 12-ounce domestic beers during the course of the round.

11. Players must eat at least one hot dog and snack sized bag of chips at the turn.

12. Galleries will not be permitted; however, no other special measures will be taken to quiet down other groups, course personnel, etc. during a player's shot.

13. The "amateur foursome" groups will be provided portable stereos in their carts, which they may use to play music at any volume they deem appropriate.

14. No special penalties will be enforced for shouting at the ball, loudly celebrating a well-struck shot, loudly bemoaning a poorly-struck shot (which may or may not include profanity), or driving one's club into the turf after a poorly-struck shot.

• Administrator

And… pros would want to play in this tournament for what reason?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by TTH83

... The People's Open: Tournament Rules ...

... 10. Players must drink no fewer than eight, 12-ounce domestic beers during the course of the round. ...

This may explain why you have a 41.4 HDCP.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

And..... amateurs who actually care about the game of golf would want to play in this tournament for what reason?

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Meh. This people will pass.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

I assume he was being facetious??? If so, he did alright in my opinion. I thought it was fairly funny. :)

I hope so...

Originally Posted by jamo

Meh. This people will pass.

This one as well.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Wow. Tough crowd tonight.

I was being tongue-in-cheek, which I hoped would have come through better.

The idea behind the joke is interesting, though. Basically, pros play very tough courses under very unique pressures and circumstances (I, for one, never appreciated how intense their focus must be until I went to the Memorial a couple weeks ago and saw just how many people are standing there watching a player make his shot). That said, they also play in some of the most ideal conditions for golf that a player could ask for.

I've often wondered how a pro tournament would look if players were dealing with the conditions and inconveniences that amateurs routinely face. How would dealing with slow playing-partners or groups ahead affect their rhythm? How much do they rely on their caddies' study of the course? How would the sloppiness of some public courses affect their play?

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

I assume he was being facetious??? If so, he did alright in my opinion. I thought it was fairly funny. :)

Maybe the People's Open would work as a backdrop for Caddieshack 3 ...

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Rule 10 is why I am no longer welcome at the Glenview Golf Course in Cincinnati, Ohio.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Originally Posted by TTH83

I'm pretty excited for the U.S. Open. It's my favorite tournament, as it is for a lot of people. I think one of the reasons so many people especially like the Open is because it's one of those tournaments where pros get beat up the way weekend golfers do every time they go out (of course, a pro getting beat up by a course might mean +5 whereas a duffer getting beat up means a much higher score).

I was talking about this with some friends at the office, and we started wondering how pros would do when faced with the conditions that many weekend golfers play in on a regular basis. To that end, we started spitballing rules for a special tournament, the People's Open. I thought I'd toss out what we came up with and see if you guys had any ideas.

Do I know you?

This sounds eerily similar to a drunken outing a few buddies & I held for a couple of years after college.

Our was a handicapped event - 1st year, 1 stroke off for every beer you drank, year 2 & 3 it was upped to 1.5 strokes for every beer after your first 6.

People were encouraged to wear loud clothing and to bring music to play.

There was a celebration/awards ceremony held a nearby bar afterwards.

This only lasted for 3 years because:

a) - we couldn't find another course to let us play there (it was held a different course every year, and it could not be at one that was in our regular play rotation - for obvious reasons).

b) - one guy invited a buddy of his who had played on some mini-tour and was also a country music performer....rumor has it he shot a 71 and consumed around 16+ beers, no validation was ever provided but he was declared champion that year.

John Daly was awarded HOF status for this tournament, after he started wearing Loudmouth gear.

Players play, tough players win!

Sounds like the monday night doubles league I play in, minus the pro's.

Some people are actually upset and wanted me kicked out because I "have an unfair advantage" because I don't drink. Not shitting you.

Me being a scratch golfer doesn't help them like me either. Its their own fault for not entering a HC limit. Last years groups were fine with it, but the new teams who joined this year are a bunch of cry-babies.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Note: This thread is 3942 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!