IGNORED

Lipping out Putts

pipergsm
Note: This thread is 3929 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by MS256

No. I didn't miss that at all, which is why I mentioned that the plastic ring actually provides a buffer to the full width of the top of the cup, which without the ring is a much wider shelf for the ball to bounce off of.

If the cup is 1 1/2 inches below ground level the ball is going in the hole on a normal speed putt.

I set all of the pins where I work twice a week so I'm aware of what they look like.

OK, so what you're saying is that, if my ball bounces back out on that edge, it means I played the ball too fast, right?

I really want to believe that, it's just that I see many golfers putting those same kind of shots at the same speed or even faster than I do (real life and watching the PGA tournaments on tv), and those balls don't jump back out.

I'm talking about straight shots here, where the ball hits the hole in the center or as good as.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, so what you're saying is that, if my ball bounces back out on that edge, it means I played the ball too fast, right? I really want to believe that, it's just that I see many golfers putting those same kind of shots at the same speed or even faster than I do (real life and watching the PGA tournaments on tv), and those balls don't jump back out. I'm talking about straight shots here, where the ball hits the hole in the center or as good as.

Please refer to my post again, thanks.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

Originally Posted by saturday

I wanted to say this from the day this thread started. You lip out because you missed the hole. There's no better answer, Yeesh.

Got it, I missed the hole

Originally Posted by pipergsm

OK, so what you're saying is that, if my ball bounces back out on that edge, it means I played the ball too fast, right?

I really want to believe that, it's just that I see many golfers putting those same kind of shots at the same speed or even faster than I do (real life and watching the PGA tournaments on tv), and those balls don't jump back out.

I'm talking about straight shots here, where the ball hits the hole in the center or as good as.

I have no more guesses why the cups at your course reject your ball.

Maybe they use these.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MS256

No. I didn't miss that at all, which is why I mentioned that the plastic ring actually provides a buffer to the full width of the top of the cup, which without the ring is a much wider shelf for the ball to bounce off of.

If the cup is 1 1/2 inches below ground level the ball is going in the hole on a normal speed putt.

I set all of the pins where I work twice a week so I'm aware of what they look like.

No, if the ball hits the center of the hole and bounces out from hitting the top edge of the insert, then the insert has been set wrong.  I've hit that ledge many, many times, and never had the ball bounce back out.  If the ball is doing a loop around the hole and comes back out, that's not caused by the insert, it's caused by a combination of too much speed and not catching enough of the hole.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Fourputt

No, if the ball hits the center of the hole and bounces out from hitting the top edge of the insert, then the insert has been set wrong.  I've hit that ledge many, many times, and never had the ball bounce back out.  If the ball is doing a loop around the hole and comes back out, that's not caused by the insert, it's caused by a combination of too much speed and not catching enough of the hole.

OK, I understand.

Since the ball is really bouncing out and does not loop around the hole to come out, it might be that the insert has not been set correctly (or that I really hit it too fast).

I will try to check it out and post a picture of the hole, maybe even a video of me playing the putt and the ball bouncing out (if it happens again off course).

I know it happened at holes number 5 and 6, so it shouldn't be too difficult to reproduce those putts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

OK, I understand.

Since the ball is really bouncing out and does not loop around the hole to come out, it might be that the insert has not been set correctly (or that I really hit it too fast).

I will try to check it out and post a picture of the hole, maybe even a video of me playing the putt and the ball bouncing out (if it happens again off course).

I know it happened at holes number 5 and 6, so it shouldn't be too difficult to reproduce those putts.

If it's set correctly, you cannot hit it too fast.  If the ball is going too fast it won't drop far enough to hit the insert before it hits the back of the hole, and if it does hit the insert, the ball should just rattle around and drop into the hole.The only way the ball can bounce out is if the insert isn't set deep enough.  That can happen because the person cutting the holes doesn't know how to do it, or because as mentioned earlier, the flagstick got stuck and raised the insert when a player tried to remove it.

It's important when removing the flagstick to watch what you are doing - you don't just grab and yank.  Sometimes it's necessary to turn it a bit to loosen any grit that has become wedged in the socket.  This is especially true after aeration and top dressing on the greens.

Rick

the ball makes a bad bounce to the left and bounces back on the tree.(snip) I save par but would probably have made birdie without that tree.

This gets more and more ridiculous. You hit a TREE and you've been robbed? Dear oh dear!!

You know you'd probably play 9 holes in 9 under if you hit the best shot you're capable of each time.

Your biggest problem is that you can't accept that the score you have is what you have, not what you would like to have had.

As for the original topic - do you seriously think that you are seeing the laws of gravity and physics don't apply to you?

It's just getting beyond absurd.

Watching you play golf would be like watching a child playing the violin, stopping and starting and saying "I don't normally muck this bit up" every 5 seconds.

Believe me, the people who play with you will not be focusing on what you tell them you do on the practice fairway. Practice is practice. Golf is golf.

The wasteland of golf is littered with people who on the practice fairway hit it great but can't transfer it to the course.

You need to take a serious treality check, or people who are actually trying to help you will give up.

In a lesson, I can just imaging you slicing ball after ball but then saying you "normally hit it 240 and straight - or that you hit 90% within 10 feet form 70 yards.You don't. It would be an instructor's worst nightmare. You are having yourself on and are clearly your own worst enemy.

Let's see a swing video.

I'll pretend to ignore the bit where you say modestly you "usually don't carry the ball 260 yards".

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

If I never hit a tree I'd hit every fairway.

If I hit every fairway I'd hit every green.

If I hit every green I'd one putt at least half of the time.

If it wasn't for the edge of the cup I'd never miss anything.

If, if, if....

Just hit the damn ball, count every stroke, and quit whining.  They call it "the rub of the green".

Wait what, its not my golf balls fault, the tree moved infront of my golf ball.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I thought I'd sleep on it and think about this thread. I'd like to pick C, you missed the hole. Final answer.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

"As for the original topic - do you seriously think that you are seeing the laws of gravity and physics don't apply to you?

It's just getting beyond absurd."

What happens happens, and I'm not delusional.

Even the people I play with and saw it happen don't understand it.

" As for the original topic - do you seriously think that you are seeing the laws of gravity and physics don't apply to you?

It's just getting beyond absurd."

Read the post of "FOURPUTT" on this page.

Once can be stupid bad luck, but when it happens 4-5 times in a short period of times, something else is going on.

" I'll pretend to ignore the bit where you say modestly you "usually don't carry the ball 260 yards". f4_glare.gif "

For your information, I have carried the ball 260 yards and more at several occasions, but as I said, it's rare, so quit the sarcasm.

You've never seen me play, so you have nothing substantial to base it on, just your own "opinion on how my game probably looks".

Do you really think you're so fantastic you can know all that without ever having seen the person play or practice?

WOW, you must be a real guru!

IMO, any opinion about someones personality and/or abilities, based only on assumptions without having witnessed any supporting facts, should better be kept to yourself.
Failing to do so systematically, shows your believe in your personal supremacy over (the majority of) other people, which IMO is a very negative and dangerous characteristic.
Stick to the facts and data provided and don't make it personal.
If you think certain data is incomplete or incorrect, just say so, but don't start a personal attack (making sarcastic and insulting remarks is!) because the data doesn't correspond with your personal experience and knowledge.

If you think certain data is incomplete or incorrect, just say so, but don't start a personal attack (making sarcastic and insulting remarks is!) because the data doesn't correspond with your personal experience and knowledge.

The facts and data show that you have a high handicap, seem to think you're better than you are, and refuse to take advice. Seems like you started this thread so people would say "Oh man, you just keep getting robbed...you'd be on the tour if your putts didn't magically lip out!"

Every time I've hit the center of the cup with a good speed, it's gone in the hole. Every time. Same with you. Stop blaming luck or physics for poor putts.

Sorry if that's harsh, but you're coming off as just plain ridiculous.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Originally Posted by Slice of Life

The facts and data show that you have a high handicap, seem to think you're better than you are, and refuse to take advice. Seems like you started this thread so people would say "Oh man, you just keep getting robbed...you'd be on the tour if your putts didn't magically lip out!"

Every time I've hit the center of the cup with a good speed, it's gone in the hole. Every time. Same with you. Stop blaming luck or physics for poor putts.

have to agree, i have never had this issue on a golf course, ever. I was trying to understand what the starter of this thread was talking about with the cup. Never once have i heard about the actual plastic cup causing a problem. Even if the cup is 1" bellow the hole, it shouldn't be an issue, its either got to be a crazy coincidence that the ball is popping back out, or what's being seen isn't what is happening.

If you hit the ball hard enough, it will either, hit the back of the cup and bounce up and over, or up and in. Anything else, it goes down. I never seen a ball interact with the actual plastic cup. I think he's still hitting it way to hard, and catching the lip and its lipping out. That's the only thing that makes sense to me after reading all this stuff.

My suggestion, lay a club 6-12" behind the hole, hit putts so if you miss they barely tap the club or end up between the club and the hole.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Originally Posted by saevel25

Quote:

have to agree, i have never had this issue on a golf course, ever. I was trying to understand what the starter of this thread was talking about with the cup. Never once have i heard about the actual plastic cup causing a problem. Even if the cup is 1" bellow the hole, it shouldn't be an issue, its either got to be a crazy coincidence that the ball is popping back out, or what's being seen isn't what is happening.

If you hit the ball hard enough, it will either, hit the back of the cup and bounce up and over, or up and in. Anything else, it goes down. I never seen a ball interact with the actual plastic cup. I think he's still hitting it way to hard, and catching the lip and its lipping out. That's the only thing that makes sense to me after reading all this stuff.

My suggestion, lay a club 6-12" behind the hole, hit putts so if you miss they barely tap the club or end up between the club and the hole.

Actually, most of the hole inserts I've seen are metal, but otherwise you are correct in the physics involved.  I have seen it happen, twice in 40 years, so it's not impossible, but it's exceedingly rare, and it's caused by improper hole set up, not by anything unusual that the ball does.

Rick

1   yes, I have a high handicap, I never said anything else.

2   "not agreeing with something" and "not taking advice" or 2 completely different things.

I've taken lots of advice from this site, but I don't always agree with what is said, and I believe to have that right!

3   no, I'm not getting robbed and don't think I could be on tour, just trying to find out why a perfectly straight putt bounces back out (not talking about lipping out here).

Soon I'll post a video so you can judge me by what you see, not by what you "think".

4   at certain holes (not all) at my local club (which is a low quality course), almost every straight putt that hits the back of the hole, bounces back out.

if it would bounce up and over (which has happened as well), it would be purely due too excessive speed (read Fourputt's post), but it's bouncing back, and that's not normal.

Some of you seem to think they've seen everything there is to see, and know everything there is to know.

Learn to accept this is not always the case, at least until you see proof of the contrary.

Originally Posted by saevel25

I'm not sure what's actually happening, that's what I'm trying to find out.

All I know is that, at several occasions, the ball reached the hole in the center (or as good as) and bounced back out.

As mentioned before, I'll try to post a video of it soon, so you can see it for yourself.

After studying the video, maybe you guys will be able to tell me what's really happening here.

Pipergsm write

My "personal experience and knowledge" lead me to maintain the position that I believe that you think that things actually happen don't.

Everyone else's putts fall.

Yours don't.

Trees stop you from making birdies.

You mishit half your shots on the course but raeely on the practice range.

You admit to cheating.

You think you can coach people but have little knowledge of the game.

I think I'll maintain my position when it comes to you. I'm pretty comfortable with it, actually.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Note: This thread is 3929 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!