IGNORED

Ben Hogan Iron Set - Which One for a Skilled Golfer?

Hi all.
I have played golf for a couple of years now (hcp 13) and now I really want to buy Ben Hogan clubs. But what are the best choice for a skilled (I assume that I will use the clubs when my hcp is below 10 or more) guy like me?? There are many to choose from on ebay, but I do not know what I should choose. Is it also the best place to shop? Do you know anywhere else I can buy the clubs??

Thank you

all depends on what you want. and what you are.

I never liked buying off eBay. I prefer to get fitted

in a shop or range.

The shaft is so important in an iron. be sure to buy the right ones

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

The one I have now is fitted. It only needs to be stiff, anything else doesn't matter right now. I just want the perfect Ben Hogan set to a hcp 0-10 player :-)

Handicap doesn't necessarily correlate to the clubs that you should be using. There are plenty of single digit handicappers that have no business playing a players club. On the other hand, there are plenty of mid-handicappers that are solid ball-strikers that can benefit from a more advanced club.

If you feel that your ball striking is both solid and consistent, then it's a matter of hitting as many Hogan irons as you can (if that's what you're set on). That way you can find which one suits you best. If you're going to invest significant money in a set, pay the little bit extra and get fitted.

Just out of curiosity, what makes you gravitate to Hogans?

Tyler Martin

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thank you for the answers. I know about what you say about the handicap, but the lower handicap the more advanced clubs (often), right?

I don't think I use the Hogans as my favorite. Basically I just want the clubs because I think they are special. But it does not irrelevant what I buy. I want the best of the best from Hogan, whether I can use the irons or not. It stems from the fact that I think they are really cool, and really just want a set. Do you have any experience with the Hogans, and can you prefer some Clubs? :-)

Originally Posted by tobish

Thank you for the answers. I know about what you say about the handicap, but the lower handicap the more advanced clubs (often), right?

I don't think I use the Hogans as my favorite. Basically I just want the clubs because I think they are special. But it does not irrelevant what I buy. I want the best of the best from Hogan, whether I can use the irons or not. It stems from the fact that I think they are really cool, and really just want a set. Do you have any experience with the Hogans, and can you prefer some Clubs? :-)

There are actually several tour players that don't play the most advanced clubs. Plenty of low handicappers that I play with use more of a "game improvement" club.

As far as Hogans, I had a set of Apex irons many years ago, and I liked them. They are pretty solid and a good looking club. The problem with Hogans is that I don't believe they are still in production, meaning you will have to buy a set, then take them to someone to get them fitted to you.

I would recommend going to demo days or shops that have a wide array of irons for fitting. Keep an open mind when selecting irons and don't get too caught up on a brand. If you want to get a set of Hogans because they're cool, you should be able to get a set pretty cheap since they will be at least a few years old by now.

Tyler Martin

You are right. They are not in production anymore and it is possible to buy cheap clubs on the internet. But . Therefore I maybe have to buy some used clubs. But I would like advice on what clubs I should buy. I have the opportunity to buy Apex Edge, but have been told that they are the best for beginners (The game improvement is high). Somewhere it does not matter that they are for beginners, but I would like some clubs, that are a bit more advanced - like the one most tour players use.. The question is whether there is some clubs that are cooler than Apex Edge? Of course there are such clubs (a lot actually), but if anyone has experience with anyone I would like to know (Maybe I will play with them sometimes)..

Thanks again

You are right. They are not in production anymore and it is possible to buy cheap clubs on the internet. But . Therefore I maybe have to buy some used clubs. But I would like advice on what clubs I should buy. I have the opportunity to buy Apex Edge, but have been told that they are the best for beginners (The game improvement is high). Somewhere it does not matter that they are for beginners, but I would like some clubs, that are a bit more advanced - like the one most tour players use.. The question is whether there is some clubs that are cooler than Apex Edge? Of course there are such clubs (a lot actually), but if anyone has experience with anyone I would like to know (Maybe I will play with them sometimes)..

Thanks again

I would worry more about getting a set that you can improve with instead of getting what's cool. There's nothing wrong with Hogans, but I wouldn't recommend buying a set of clubs purely because of their looks or the name stamped on them.

If you can find a set of Apex Plus or Apex blades, then go for it if the price is right. Shouldn't set you back too much. Otherwise, head to the local golf shop to start looking around. There are a lot of companies making good irons: Mizuno, Titleist, TaylorMade, Callaway, Ping, etc.

Tyler Martin

Thank you. What about Apex ftx? and the Apex Edge. Is it true what I said about Apex Edge before.
I bought now clubs last year, Cleveland CG 16 tour, which fits me perfect. Basically I don't need other clubs, I just want to buy a Ben Hogan for fun..

Thank you. What about Apex ftx? and the Apex Edge.

No experience with the Apex FTX. The Edge is an offset club, which doesn't suit my game.

Tyler Martin

I currently have a set of Hogan Red Line Edge with the Apex steel shaft and love them. I also used to have a set of Edge's with a stiff graphite shaft which I gave to my son and later acquired what I have now. The Edge is a forged cavity back rather than a true muscle back blade. I think they are forgiving enough for a high handicapper, but will let you know if you mishit them. They have a little offset which I prefer.  The only other set of irons I have owned that come close to the feel of the Hogans were the Titleist DCI Blacks I had when I worked for Titleist.  The good thing is, you can pick up a pretty good set of Hogan's on ebay pretty cheaply.  I am told, the Hogan Apex Medallions are one of the best. I forget when Calloway bought them out, but I also read that you should be looking for a set prior to 1988.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

+1 on the Hogan FTX.  Too bad you need a stiff, I know of an available set but it's regular flex.

In my bag:

Driver Cleveland Classic 310 Tour 10.5°  Miyazaki Kusala 61 Black Reg
Fairway Wood Cleveland Launcher FL 3/15° Miyazaki C.Kua 43 Reg
Hybrids Cleveland Mashie 3/20.5° & 4/23° Miyazaki C.Kua 43 Reg

Irons Wilson Ci9 5-6-7-8-9-PW-GW FST ss105 Reg 

Wedges Vokey SM 56.14

Putter GEL Ruby 34"

Balls Callaway HX Bite, Wilson Staff FG Tour

Thank you Hacker James. I will use your words to find a set.. Right now I have the opportunity to buy this one : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ben-Hogan-Apex-Plus-Iron-set-Golf-Club-Stiff-4-/281120285473?ViewItem=&ssPageName;=ADME%3AB%3AEOIBSA%3AUS%3A3160&item;=281120285473&nma;=true&si;=yMHuI2OlcRvfAOXtEkiChFhSxAg%253D&orig;_cvip=true&rt;=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557 (wow what a long one) Don't you think that is fine?

Cubfanbob, maybe I don't need stiff, I don't think I will play with the irons that much. What iron set do you have available??

Cubfanbob, maybe I don't need stiff, I don't think I will play with the irons that much. What iron set do you have available??

I have a couple new and used sets, all in Regular Flex Apex Shafts (#3):

New

Apex Edge CFT 3-E [PW]

Apex Edge 2006 3-E [PW]

Used

Apex Edge CFT 3-F [GW]

Apex Edge Pro 3-E [PW]

Apex FTX 3-E [PW]

In my bag:

Wedges Vokey SM 56.14

Putter GEL Ruby 34"

I would be interested in your prices as well.  I am "watching" a set of Apex Plus on Ebay currently. If I get some clubs, I would probably either trade or sell my Edges, but that would not be a condition  of buying.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

I will check the PGA Value Guide and get back to you on prices.  Everything I own was purchased on eBay or from online golf vendors like TGW.com or Golftown.

In my bag:

Wedges Vokey SM 56.14

Putter GEL Ruby 34"