IGNORED

Want to go to college for golf? Need help/advice

Clevelandgolf1
Note: This thread is 3961 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Im currently 21 years old and I've got approximately 60 general credits from my local community college. Over the past few years I could not decide on what career or field I wanted to get into. After working at a golf course for 6 years, I think this is where I want to stay. I work maintenance and I wouldn't mind being a superintendent or work inside, or even a golf pro. I never played golf competitively, but I do play A LOT. I would say 4-5 times a week and while I'm not ready to become a pro, I feel that if I dedicated myself to golf and took it seriously, I could perhaps get my handicap low enough for the PGM program. My question is about which route is better. Should I transfer to a 4 year university? ( I live in michigan, so I'm very close to Ferris State ). Or should i go into a 2 year program. A friend i used to golf with went to Keiser in florida and he says he loves it, the problem is i'm not sure which route is the better one. Any help would be much appreciated. Also, I know in order to get accepted into the PGM program, you have to have a USGA handicap of 8 i believe. Is this also the case even if I wanted to be a superintendent or run the golf course operations? I would understand why you have to have a good handicap if you want to be an instructor obviously.

IF you want to work on a greens crew and eventually be a head superintendent, PGM is not what you want.

You need to find a university College of Agriculture program in turf management or golf course management.

Take a look at these sites as examples of such programs:

http://plantscience.psu.edu/majors/golf

http://students.caes.uga.edu/undergraduate/majors/turfgrass-management.cfm

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My college roommate's brother went the agriculture route and has been interning/working at Oakmont for the past two summers. I'm not sure what program he went through though.

In The Bag

Driver: Taylormade Supertri 9.5

3 Wood: Titleist 909 F2 

Hybrid: Adams 

Irons: 3-PW Mizuno MP64

Wedges: Vokey SM2 56* and 60*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback #1

Note: This thread is 3961 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!