IGNORED

14 clubs, not enough

Note: This thread is 3901 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by tomvk77

I can agree with you on the par 5 thing. But at my course you have to play with your mind, put the ball in the right spots, with only a driver off the tee i get problems water or bunkers getting into play. So sometimes it's just better to go with 3 wd off the tee or maybe even hybrid.

And than if the wind is blowing on several par 5's i just might need a hybrid to get there. Just not possible to get a driver into the wind to go 350 yards.

Pretty sure the "play with your mind" strategy doesn't just apply to your golf course...

God knows that on almost every golf course I play, the driver is not used the standard maximum 14 times...

taylormade.gif Burner Superfast 1.0: 10.5* Driver, 15* 3-wood

adams.gif a5OS Hybrid/Irons Set: 3h-5h, 6-PW

adams.gif "Tom Watson Classic" Wedges: 52*, 56*, 60*
taylormade.gif Est 79 TM-770 Putter, "Fontana" Pattern

xFIXx

Originally Posted by WalkTheCourse

Pretty sure the "play with your mind" strategy doesn't just apply to your golf course...

God knows that on almost every golf course I play, the driver is not used the standard maximum 14 times...

I know. Had to give an example tho.

Also they did make it worse on my course. New Bunkers into play.

330 yard par 4 used to be a wide fairway, right now in the middle there is a big bunker at 250 - 265

my carry distance. room next to the bunker is about 10 yards on both sides.

I could get it over if i get after one, but i tend to go left if i do that, and that is a place you just can't hit it. if it's not in the water, your in some very tight bushes with no shot at all.

so i hit 3 iron or 2hybrid of the tee there. depends on the wind.

we get allot holes like this at our course only longer, ( this is the shortest )

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

It seems like they are adjusting course to compensate for longer hitting to keep them from becoming too easy. It's a smart thing to do, though frustrating for the golfer.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah, good example. 330 yards is a quite a short par 4. I'm not a long driver, so that might not come into play for me... But for you, there's no problem with blasting it 220-230 with a shorter club and setting up a relatively short approach shot.

taylormade.gif Burner Superfast 1.0: 10.5* Driver, 15* 3-wood

adams.gif a5OS Hybrid/Irons Set: 3h-5h, 6-PW

adams.gif "Tom Watson Classic" Wedges: 52*, 56*, 60*
taylormade.gif Est 79 TM-770 Putter, "Fontana" Pattern

xFIXx

I think you are wasting bag space having a 5i and 5h. I can swing 'easy' and get my regular 4i distance(195) out of my 4h, or I can swing normally and hit it to 210yards. Absolutely no need to carry both the iron and hybrid. Especially when the hybrid is easier to hit and far more versatile. Then my 3h is my 225 club. 5w at 235, and 3w ~250.

As far as 110 and in, gimme any one of my wedgs from 56* right down 48*, and I can hit any distance from 20 yards, right up to 110, depending on the length of the swing I use.

You should know your distances for full, 3/4, 1/2, and 14 swing for every wedge you have. I certainly have never heard of people having gaps below 110.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop View Post

I've never liked hybrids much, don't know why except maybe the only ones I've ever used had a lot of offset. I agree though, most of scoring is done from shorter distances and those are what I focus on. I have 50* 52* 55* and 60* wedges. The 50 was just added as part of my new iron set so I'll probably take the 52 out for a 64.

I would certainly take out the 52, but I doubt you need a 64. 64* is NOT a 110 club. Its a flop shot, very short club for when you need to get the ball high, short distance, with minimal bounce on the green and the potential for a lot of backspin. Having a 50-52-55 makes little sense. 50, 55, and 60 is a great wedge setup. At a 26hc, you have very little chance of being able to use a 64* wedge effectively. Instead, as I mentioned above, learn your distances with 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 swings with the 50, 55, and 60. You will find you have EVERY distance you need covered.

Take a small notbook to the range (as well as a range finder if you have one, and mark the distances of ever GOOD shot, ignore the bad, you are just trying to find out average good shot distances at the quarter, half, and three quarter swing lengths.

Its also good to log dstances of average good shots of all other clubs as well. When i'm at the cource, I look at my gps, and unless there is something blocking the green, like large trees or something, I know exactly what club I need, all thanks t hours on the range figuring out exact distances with each of my clubs.

Everytime I get a new club, I take it to the range and do this. Of the multiple dozens of clubs I own, I can go back in my little black book and tell you exactly what my average good shot distance with that club is. Knowledge is power, and that includes in playing golf.

Quote:

True. On a Par 5, you usually always hit driver, but shorter par 4's can often be played better with a 3w (or sometimes less) off the tee. Especially if the hole ha a dogleg.

At my main home course i'm a member at, I use driver 12 times on the 18 hole course, and 5 on the 9 hole. On the other 9 hole course the wife and I are members at to bring out little brother and sister (Big Brother/Big Sister program, but they let us get a family membership because the owner is a supporter of the program) to twice a week, I use driver twice, on the two par 5's. Of course, we are playing the most forward tees because we have two children under 10yo playing with us.

The kids are both getting better, its nice to see. Caleb, my LB, just got his first birdie last week on a par three frm the forward tee's. I think that moment was happier than any great shot I have evr made on my own. He'll remember it for a lifetime. I had the ball put in a case with a little plate stating its the ball from his first official birdie, the name of the course, the hole #, and his name. He was proud of himself, but not as proud as I was. I've been teaching him to golf for two years, and its the first time I ever had tears in my eyes at the course. All this is totally off topic though, sorry about that.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

The 52 was something I had before the new clubs because I didn't have anything between my PW and SW. I know the 64 wouldn't be a 110 club, that's covered by an easy AW for me. The 64 would be used solely around the green for short side chips or to get up and over a tree/bush. I want to get a range finder to do what you suggested, however I'm more worried about actually getting my full swing working. Or do you suggest I work on partial right away?

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop

The 52 was something I had before the new clubs because I didn't have anything between my PW and SW. I know the 64 wouldn't be a 110 club, that's covered by an easy AW for me. The 64 would be used solely around the green for short side chips or to get up and over a tree/bush. I want to get a range finder to do what you suggested, however I'm more worried about actually getting my full swing working. Or do you suggest I work on partial right away?

Its not a bad thing to work from partial swing up to a full swing, but certainly work on your full swing as well. If you want the cheapest and most effective training aid out there, imo, buy Ben Hogans "Five Fundamentals of Golf", it will truly transform your swing.

And I really, really would not reccomend a 64* at your current handicap.  60* is perfect for around the greens. 64* is a very, very hard club to hit well. As hard as a 3i, imo.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

I'll defer to your judgement and not get the 64. Not sure what to get instead though. I am thinking about a 4w but I don't really want 2 fw woods and I don't really want a hybrid either, so I'll still be at 13 clubs.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop

I'll defer to your judgement and not get the 64. Not sure what to get instead though. I am thinking about a 4w but I don't really want 2 fw woods and I don't really want a hybrid either, so I'll still be at 13 clubs.

Get a hybrid if you don't have one. You will not be sorry. They are a godsend out of the rough, and amazing out of the fairway.

I carry two woods (3 and 5). If I was allowed 15 clubs, I would even carry a 7 wood, if anyone even makes tem anymore.

I play with a very good golfer, who plays with a 3, 5, 7, and 9 wood, with one hybrid, and no irons below a 6. And he's one of the better golfers I play with, not long, but always straight, and always in the fairway. Before I started playing with him, I didnt even know a 9wood existed. Its and older club, so maybe they don't make em anymore, but he loves it. Though he is considerin the switch to more hybrids and getting away from the 7 and 9 wood. He is kind of oldschool in that he used to believe hybrids were for hacks. Now I think he's coming back to reality.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

I've never liked hybrids nor hit them well. Always had trouble with 3w off the deck which is why I was thinking of only going with 4w.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

I've played the new Volkey 52  a couple of times now and my impression is that it is a very workable wedge. indeed right about 110 yards on a full wedge swing and easy for me to choke up and shorten my shot. I'll play it this way for awhile and see what sort of issues I begin to notice..

In my bag....

Bombtech Grenade driver. 10.5* Aldila DVS60 stiff, 45"

Ping i20 irons, ProjectX5.5. 5 thru PW.

Tour Edge 3 Hybrid, Adams A7 4Hybrid

Titelist SM4 52-8. 56-12

Cleveland RTX 60-12 wedge.

Tour Edge xcg5 15* 3 Wood

Cheap crappy Wilson putter that works as well as anything for me.

It's a work in progress, I've only been playing for going on two years or so.

Ok next example than.

Second hole 520 yard par 5

fairway has some big hills on landing spots.

ball almost never bounce straight forward.

new bunkers left and right. Fairway is wide

for landing area, but ball always kicks right or left.

so i'm hitting 3 wood off there now, often need another

3wd to get it near the green, i'm not that sure with my current

3wd off the deck. maybe this will get better with my new order.

Will be playing Mizuno JPX 825 3 wd soon.

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

Originally Posted by tomvk77

Ok next example than.

Second hole 520 yard par 5

fairway has some big hills on landing spots.

ball almost never bounce straight forward.

new bunkers left and right. Fairway is wide

for landing area, but ball always kicks right or left.

so i'm hitting 3 wood off there now, often need another

3wd to get it near the green, i'm not that sure with my current

3wd off the deck. maybe this will get better with my new order.

Will be playing Mizuno JPX 825 3 wd soon.

So why not hit driver off the tee if the fairway is wide. If you drive well, you will be in the fairway.

Too many people focus on the hazards when they play, imo. Don't even consider them. look at the fairway, aim for the fairway, ignore the hazards. If you keep the bunkers in your head, thats where you will put it.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

• 4 weeks later...

So, back to original post for those interested. I have settled on replacing 4 hybrid with 52. Depending on the course a 4 wood or 3 wood for now, ask again in a week it may change. Thanks All.

In my bag....

Bombtech Grenade driver. 10.5* Aldila DVS60 stiff, 45"

Ping i20 irons, ProjectX5.5. 5 thru PW.

Tour Edge 3 Hybrid, Adams A7 4Hybrid

Titelist SM4 52-8. 56-12

Cleveland RTX 60-12 wedge.

Tour Edge xcg5 15* 3 Wood

Cheap crappy Wilson putter that works as well as anything for me.

It's a work in progress, I've only been playing for going on two years or so.

Note: This thread is 3901 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!