IGNORED

2013 NCAA College Football

LucasBP
Note: This thread is 3696 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

To me, the simplest solution is set up a tournament with the conference champions of the 10 current conferences plus the top 6 ranked teams that are not champions (which would give the independents an opportunity to get in if they are good enough).   That would be 4 games to win it.

Since most teams are going to finish their regular season this weekend and the conference championship games will be played next weekend, if they moved directly into the playoffs the following week, they would still finish about the same time as the NC game is played now.

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would agree that 8 team playoff is ideal. I would change the format, however. To emphasize actual on-the-field performance rather than polls, I would automatically include the conference champions from the ACC, Pac-12, Big 10, SEC and Big 12, regardless of their records. The conference champions would have proven themselves on the field.  The remaining 3 teams could come from anywhere, based on that "unbiased" evaluation. That way, you could possibly have 2 or even 3 teams from one conference, or you could have an independent like Notre Dame or a team from a non-automatic conference like a Fresno State or Northern Illinois.

Seeding could be done by the blue-ribbon 13 person panel, or by the final rankings in an accepted poll. But I would try to avoid teams from the same conference playing in the first round, if possible.

You guys are all talking about what would be the best way to crown a champion, but you can't forget the importance of the conferences.  The conferences more-or-less own the schools' schedules, they own the bowls, and they own the network deals.  They also provide the bulk of the money to the schools' athletic programs.

I don't think any system which ignores the tie-ins for the power conferences will be worthwhile.  Nor do I think football schools will abandon the conferences unless it's in their interest to do so, and money is a lot more important to individual schools than whether the "system" picks the right champion.

How about a six-team playoff?  Each of the four/five major conferences can have a tie-in to a major bowl.  Either we realign conferences to get four super-conferences (bye bye Big-12 or ACC), or each year one "weak" conference champion is required to forfeit their seat (but the conferences still get to split the $$$).  Two teams chosen at large, which could be the "weak" conference champion, a 2nd team from a really strong conference, or a non-AQ conference champion.  The two top-ranked teams get a bye, and 3-6 play each other in two of the major bowls.  The winner of those two games play 1 and 2 in the other two major bowls.  And then a third game crowns the champion.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

I haven't read through the several dozens of pages of posts here, but has anyone speculated what Wisconsin's ranking should be but for the officiating snafu in the ASU game that snatched a near certain victory (as certain as what, a 30 yard field goal can be) away from them, leading to a 9-2 record instead of a 10-1 record? Actually, the Badgers probably should be undefeated. In the Ohio State game, a freshman defensive back had an easy opportunity to pick the ball on third-and-long but instead swatted it way, probably figuring that the Badgers might get better field position from a punt than if he intercepted it and got tackled deep downfield. The only problem was that OSU didn't punt, they went for it on 4th down, made it and went on to score a TD. Ohio State won that game by 7, so at the very worst, it would have gone into OT, but for the rookie mistake. Currently Wisconsin is 15th in the BCS rankings. This weekend we've got Alabama vs. Auburn and Clemson vs. South Carolina, the week after we have Ohio State playing MSU, meaning that a minimum of three of the teams ranked ahead of them have to lose. Plus there will be at least one more top-ten matchup in the SEC championship, so four teams ahead of them will have additional losses and one may end up with a three-loss season. Looks like all the Badgers need to do is win at home Saturday against Penn State and they're BCS bound at 10-2. I guess we didn't need you after all Bret Bielma.

In my bag: - Ping G20 driver, 10.5 deg. S flex - Ping G20 3W, 15 deg., S flex - Nickent 4dx 3H, 4H - Nike Slingshot 4-PW - Adams Tom Watson 52 deg. GW - Vokey 58 deg. SW -Ping Half Wack-E putter

I haven't read through the several dozens of pages of posts here, but has anyone speculated what Wisconsin's ranking should be but for the officiating snafu in the ASU game that snatched a near certain victory (as certain as what, a 30 yard field goal can be) away from them, leading to a 9-2 record instead of a 10-1 record?

Actually, the Badgers probably should be undefeated. In the Ohio State game, a freshman defensive back had an easy opportunity to pick the ball on third-and-long but instead swatted it way, probably figuring that the Badgers might get better field position from a punt than if he intercepted it and got tackled deep downfield. The only problem was that OSU didn't punt, they went for it on 4th down, made it and went on to score a TD. Ohio State won that game by 7, so at the very worst, it would have gone into OT, but for the rookie mistake.

Currently Wisconsin is 15th in the BCS rankings. This weekend we've got Alabama vs. Auburn and Clemson vs. South Carolina, the week after we have Ohio State playing MSU, meaning that a minimum of three of the teams ranked ahead of them have to lose. Plus there will be at least one more top-ten matchup in the SEC championship, so four teams ahead of them will have additional losses and one may end up with a three-loss season. Looks like all the Badgers need to do is win at home Saturday against Penn State and they're BCS bound at 10-2. I guess we didn't need you after all Bret Bielma.

No, but it's a safe bet that they'd be adjacent to Michigan State one way or the other (Probably just above them).  Same "weak" Big 10 schedule and one loss each.  Wisconsin has the benefit of having their one loss against OSU instead of much weaker (but ranked 22 at the time) Notre Dame.

Also, don't automatically assume that 4 teams ahead of them losing means they'll move up.  Assuming Auburn-Alabama is close, they're likely not passing either of those teams.  Same could be true if SC barely beats Clemson.  And if Michigan State beats OSU, again, same story.  You need those higher ranked teams to win convincingly in those matchups to gain a spot.

I haven't read through the several dozens of pages of posts here, but has anyone speculated what Wisconsin's ranking should be but for the officiating snafu in the ASU game that snatched a near certain victory (as certain as what, a 30 yard field goal can be) away from them, leading to a 9-2 record instead of a 10-1 record?

Actually, the Badgers probably should be undefeated. In the Ohio State game, a freshman defensive back had an easy opportunity to pick the ball on third-and-long but instead swatted it way, probably figuring that the Badgers might get better field position from a punt than if he intercepted it and got tackled deep downfield. The only problem was that OSU didn't punt, they went for it on 4th down, made it and went on to score a TD. Ohio State won that game by 7, so at the very worst, it would have gone into OT, but for the rookie mistake.

Currently Wisconsin is 15th in the BCS rankings. This weekend we've got Alabama vs. Auburn and Clemson vs. South Carolina, the week after we have Ohio State playing MSU, meaning that a minimum of three of the teams ranked ahead of them have to lose. Plus there will be at least one more top-ten matchup in the SEC championship, so four teams ahead of them will have additional losses and one may end up with a three-loss season. Looks like all the Badgers need to do is win at home Saturday against Penn State and they're BCS bound at 10-2. I guess we didn't need you after all Bret Bielma.

Yes, the thought through a CB's mind in a split second is to go, 'Oh wait, will get better field position on a punt.'  That is a huge stretch to know what the CB was thinking. Everyone says, "Oh they should have won that game". Well they didn't. There is no take backs in college football. If Wisonsin didn't want to lose that game, how about not letting OSU rush for nearly 200 yards. How about not letting the guy get behind them on that last second score at the end of the first half. The only SHOULD the Badgers get is being screwed over by the Pac-12 refs. Other than that, every other loss is on their own inability to get it done that day. Which means,  there is no SHOULD have in football. It is what it is.

Yep, Wisconsin is projected to go to a BCS game over MSU again.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

@saevel25 ... Here's a Pat Forde article where he opines that it is possible, and perhaps even likely, that a one-loss Auburn or one-loss Missouri could get the nod over an undefeated Ohio State for the title game.  That would be a fitting conclusion to the BCS era ... that it ended in such a controversial debacle.  He also points out that its their own fault (not just OSU, but the entire Big 10) because they were the ones most resistant to a playoff.  He suggests that were it not for their stubbornness, we'd already have a playoff. ;)

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--forde-yard-dash--iron-clad-rivalry-weekend-will-ruin-at-least-one-season-062627687.html

Enjoy. :beer:

@saevel25 ... Here's a Pat Forde article where he opines that it is possible, and perhaps even likely, that a one-loss Auburn or one-loss Missouri could get the nod over an undefeated Ohio State for the title game.  That would be a fitting conclusion to the BCS era ... that it ended in such a controversial debacle.  He also points out that its their own fault (not just OSU, but the entire Big 10) because they were the ones most resistant to a playoff.  He suggests that were it not for their stubbornness, we'd already have a playoff. ;)

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--forde-yard-dash--iron-clad-rivalry-weekend-will-ruin-at-least-one-season-062627687.html

Enjoy.

It is tough to say though.

BCS Harris Poll USA Today Computer Rankings
RK TEAM AVG PVS RK PTS % RK PTS % AVG A&H; RB CM KM JS PW %
1 Alabama .9881 1 1 2595 .9981 1 1544 .9961 2 2 1 2 1 2 2 .970
2 Florida State .9697 2 2 2494 .9592 2 1488 .9600 1 1 2 1 2 1 1 .990
3 Ohio State .9200 3 3 2389 .9188 3 1428 .9213 3 3 3 3 3 4 3 .920
4 Auburn .8236 6 5 2139 .8227 5 1268 .8181 4 5 7 4 5 8 4 .830
5 Missouri .8077 8 6 2109 .8112 6 1243 .8019 5 4 10 5 7 6 5 .810
6 Clemson .7726 7 4 2148 .8262 4 1289 .8316 10 12 4 9 10 14 7 .660

I was just thinking this in terms of the BCS standings. Primarily looking at the computer rankings. Auburn beats Alabama. That means Alabama probably drops to 4th place. I know a lot of people wouldn't want Alabama above Auburn who beat them. So Auburn gains in the human polls. Maybe gets near OSU or above them. The Computers might think otherwise. That is were it might hurt Auburn. OSU probably wouldn't get a jump because they would probably claim nearly all the 2nd place rankings in the computers. I think Alabama could claim maybe 1 or 2 number 2 rankings. This is were it hurts Auburn. To the computers Alabama is still a very good team. So they might roadblock Missouri and Auburn from getting the required computer rankings. The only way Auburn jumps OSU is if they just trounce Alabama. Like by 3-4 TD's. If it is a close game, Alabama wont drop enough to free up Missouri or Auburn. Its kinda like a 3rd party candidate that is slightly republican, so they take some of the votes even though they are out of the race in the long run.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

It is tough to say though.

BCS

Harris Poll

USA Today

Computer Rankings

RK

TEAM

AVG

PVS

RK

PTS

%

RK

PTS

%

AVG

A&H;

RB

CM

KM

JS

PW

%

Alabama

Florida State

Ohio State

Auburn

Missouri

Clemson

I was just thinking this in terms of the BCS standings. Primarily looking at the computer rankings. Auburn beats Alabama. That means Alabama probably drops to 4th place. I know a lot of people wouldn't want Alabama above Auburn who beat them. So Auburn gains in the human polls. Maybe gets near OSU or above them. The Computers might think otherwise. That is were it might hurt Auburn. OSU probably wouldn't get a jump because they would probably claim nearly all the 2nd place rankings in the computers. I think Alabama could claim maybe 1 or 2 number 2 rankings. This is were it hurts Auburn. To the computers Alabama is still a very good team. So they might roadblock Missouri and Auburn from getting the required computer rankings. The only way Auburn jumps OSU is if they just trounce Alabama. Like by 3-4 TD's. If it is a close game, Alabama wont drop enough to free up Missouri or Auburn. Its kinda like a 3rd party candidate that is slightly republican, so they take some of the votes even though they are out of the race in the long run.

I soooo don't understand the computer rankings and how they come up with the BCS standings that I'll just take your word for it. ;)

Although, I wouldn't be at all surprised - and in fact, I'd expect it - if Auburn wins this weekend to pass you guys into 2nd in the human polls.  I don't agree with it, but I don't get a vote. ;)

Computer rankings are just pure math. I have no clue what it entitles but it has a form of regression for strength of schedule. Meaning all teams have a base stat. Like if you go to Kenpom for College Basketball. They have Base Offense and Defense stats. Then Kenpom adjust them for SOS, by how good their opponents defense and offenses were. Like lets say scoring offense. Well that is all well and good, but what if your comparing a scoring offense was against 5 top 10 defensive teams. While the other had none. So they adjust it. That is how they develop a ranking. They figure out, basically who the most complete team is. Then they adjust it by a SOS factor. Then they rank them.

It was a way to make the voting more stable, and take out a lot of the crazy opinions out there. So the Human opinion polls are 2/3rds the vote, and the computer is 1/3rd.

Alabama is such a complete team, and has good wins that they might drop far in the rankings because the computers rankings wont fluctuate them much. Computer rankings tend to change drastically this late in the season because their is a lot of data. Its like ERA for pitchers, they don't fluctuate much in September.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

I soooo don't understand the computer rankings and how they come up with the BCS standings that I'll just take your word for it. ;)

Although, I wouldn't be at all surprised - and in fact, I'd expect it - if Auburn wins this weekend to pass you guys into 2nd in the human polls.  I don't agree with it, but I don't get a vote. ;)

The computer portion of the BCS doesn't take into account margin of victory anymore.  A 1 point win is just as good as a 70 point win.  The human poll component obviously can take that into consideration.

The computer portion of the BCS goes as follows.  Each team is rated by the 6 different computers.  The highest and lowest rankings are then dropped and the teams score is divided by 100.  A first place ranking gets you 25 points, 2nd place = 24 points, 3rd place = 23 points, etc...  So Alabama gets ranked with 2, 1, 2, 1, 2, 2.  If you drop the 1 and 2, they are left with 1, 2, 2, 2.  25, 24, 24, 24 points respectively.  97/100 = .970.

Take the Harris Poll %  add it to the USA Today poll % add it to the computer % and divide it by 3, voila that is your BCS ranking.

• Administrator

I have nothing to contribute as I don't care about college sports, but the above is relevant and funny, right? :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I have nothing to contribute as I don't care about college sports, but the above is relevant and funny, right? :)

I first thought that maybe their helmets got stuck together. That sometimes happens, rarely though. Then I realized they didn't. That is just sad. Luckily the RB didn't need them in that play. :-D

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

I would say that it looks like the blocker was colorblind if I had not done the same thing one time. Leading the running back down the sideline and I turned back looking for somebody to hit. The first guy there was my teammate and I laid him out (to his great surprise).

Funny thing was that my coach absolutely loved it. In the film room he screamed out "Way to go! If ya'll don't see somebody on the other team to hit, hit somebody on our team!"

Bama just has sooo much more talent. Some of their 2nd string athletes are better than most teams starters. Saban always gets his players. AJ Macarron just past most wins by an Bama QB in history, I dont know if he has the numbers for Heisman but definitly mentionable.

Yes, the thought through a CB's mind in a split second is to go, 'Oh wait, will get better field position on a punt.'  That is a huge stretch to know what the CB was thinking. Everyone says, "Oh they should have won that game". Well they didn't. There is no take backs in college football. If Wisonsin didn't want to lose that game, how about not letting OSU rush for nearly 200 yards. How about not letting the guy get behind them on that last second score at the end of the first half. The only SHOULD the Badgers get is being screwed over by the Pac-12 refs. Other than that, every other loss is on their own inability to get it done that day. Which means,  there is no SHOULD have in football. It is what it is.

Yep, Wisconsin is projected to go to a BCS game over MSU again.

When guys talk about sports,  the air is full of "should haves," "what ifs," and "could haves."  Son, is this your first time participating in a non-golf sports discussion?

In my bag: - Ping G20 driver, 10.5 deg. S flex - Ping G20 3W, 15 deg., S flex - Nickent 4dx 3H, 4H - Nike Slingshot 4-PW - Adams Tom Watson 52 deg. GW - Vokey 58 deg. SW -Ping Half Wack-E putter

When guys talk about sports,  the air is full of "should haves," "what ifs," and "could haves."  Son, is this your first time participating in a non-golf sports discussion?

@Wisguy First off, don't call me son.  You're not my dad. It sounds very condescending. Alright OLD MAN!, thanks :-D

Second, sports is never filled with should haves. That is like saying "Could care less". If something should have happened then it would have happened. But it didn't happen, so it can't possibly should have happened. Now, 'What Ifs', are a different story. Yes sports are full of "What Ifs". Hindsight is 20/20 as they say. Why doesn't it matter though, it didn't happen. It's fun to think of what could have happened, but it doesn't change anything. To argue about "What ifs" is just a waste of energy.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Note: This thread is 3696 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!