IGNORED

Ok, so who carries the FEWEST number of clubs in the bag?

dave s
Note: This thread is 3893 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I see threads about players making agonizing choices on what has to go from the bag so they can add a gap wedge, another hybrid or whatever.

Who carries the FEWEST number of clubs in the bag?  It's probably not me, but I'll nominate the wife's bag to get things rolling.

1.  Driver

2.  #5-hybrid

3.  6 - 9i, PW SW

4.  Putter

Total clubs = 9

I realize there are good reasons to take advantage of the 14-club rule and my bag is one club short of 14 which includes 2 clubs that rarely see the turf during a round.  For example, I hit my 54* wedge for the first time this season last Saturday.  I hit my 3-wood on a short par 4 once this season.

Is it time to take stock of what we carry and consider 'lightening the load?' OTOH, it's probably worse to need that club and NOT have it!

Anyone carrying fewer than 14 in the bag these days?  How many?

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See my signature-10 clubs in my most used bag. If I am walking however, I may drop one of the hybrids and sometimes 1 of the 5 irons depending on which side of the course I am playing for a total of 8. I started this bag out with 7, but added the hybrids and got addicted. This is my most used bag, but lately I have been playing my old school bag for fun and it has the normal 14.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

When I first started I use to play with 5 clubs.  3 wood, 3 iron, 6 iron, 9 iron, putter.  I was able to shoot in the 90s.  I got very good with distance control with the 3 wood.  I would hit it 165+ out.  My holes would usually consist of 3 wood, half 3 wood, chip with the 9 iron, 2 putt.  I am now up to 13 clubs.

Not me. This game is hard.....I need every advantage I can get.
  • Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I have a sunday bag I like to use when I play my with my parents at their executive course.

• 3H (for par4's and the par5 (515yd))
  • 6i
  • 8i
  • PW
  • SW
  • P

I use this once a week so I'm not sure if it counts as my semi-normal setup.  My normal setup is 14 clubs.

Brad

I carry 14 because I can, there is no reason to carry less.

I may only use 9 or 10 per round, but I have no way of knowing those will be the only clubs I need before I start.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

I've never played a round in my life, so I don't qualify, however I am a minimalist in life, and see myself taking the minimal approach to golf. I read this article the other day ( http://www.thewalkinggolfer.com/minimalist_golfer.html ) and really liked the idea.

For example, I'm a pretty good bowler (235 average) and most guys in my average range own 10-12 bowling balls and carry at least 6 to league, and all 12 to tournaments. I own two and do quite well for myself.

Walking, carrying a bag, maybe 6 or up.   Hate to use a pull cart almost as much as I hate to ride.

Don't know why there aren't more competitions that have players choose a certain number of clubs and stay within that limit.  It's another way to have fun.

Talk about minimalist, try Speedgolf:   http://speedgolfinternational.com/   Saw on TV where a competitor took one club, a 6-iron and no bag.   He didn't win.

Carry Bag, experimental mix-- 9* Integra 320, TT X100 Gold shaft
MacGregor Tourney 2-iron circa 1979

High grass club: #5 Ginty
Irons: 3,4,8,9 Cleveland 588P RTG Proforce 95 Gold shafts
Hogan fifty-three Hogan 5612

Ping Kushin

In the late fall last year, I played a few rounds with 7 clubs (D, 4, 6, 8, 54, 58, Putter).  It was fun.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I carry 12.

I could probably carry only 9 and play pretty much the same game.

I could get to 8 if I dropped the driver.  I'd probably do just about as well with a 4 wood off the tee.

...but I carry 12.

My bag currently holds the following:

Driver

3-wood

4-9i

SW

Putter

Pretty basic I know, but it's what my kit came with. I think that means that I use 10 clubs.

Originally Posted by David in FL

Not me. This game is hard.....I need every advantage I can get.

Agreed. I can't hit my 3i to save my life, but I use it to hit half swing shots that I have to keep under the trees. I wouldn't need it if I didn't have to escape from the woods, but then I'd just end up carrying an extra wedge I could use for another occasion.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I carry 14 and enjoy this subject, because I played today and realized, after reading this, I never pulled a 3, 4, or 5 hybrid, 8 iron as well as not using a 52° wedge.

Guess I could lighten the load quite a bit.

My bag consists of Driver, 3 and 7 wood 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, pitching, 52°, sand and 60° wedge.

What for? I still shoot like S.....&*%

Driver, 17* super hybrid, 4 and 5 hybrid, 6I - AW, SW, Putter = 11.  In most cases I will use each club at least once a round.  I use my 6I and SW a lot.

In my bag:

Driver: Covert Performance
Super Hybrid : :nike: 2H - 17* Covert Performance

Irons: :nike:Covert 4I - PW

Wedges: :nike:X3X Wedges (52*, 56*, 60*)

Putter: Method Core 1i

Ball: :nike:One RZN

Upgrading Always.

I carry 14, but have far, far more. lol. I can choose between 3 sets of irons, multiple 3 and 4 hybrids, 3, 4, 5 woods, all my wedges, 3 putters, 4 drivers.

My bag is pretty steady though, except for which wedges I take with me, depending on which course i'm playing.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Originally Posted by boogielicious

In the late fall last year, I played a few rounds with 7 clubs (D, 4, 6, 8, 54, 58, Putter).  It was fun.

For some strange reason, your club selection strategy makes sense to me.  I may even try my wife's setup (from my original post on the subject) to lighten the load.  I'm usually inside 150 for scoring shots and need a 7-9i and could probably do away with 2 of my 4 wedges that rarely see a shot.  On the long end, maybe just a driver and a 4 or 5 hybrid.

Scale back and learn to hit those better.  I like that idea!  Thanks.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

I had a very effective (relatively speaking- see handiap) "3-club method" that I was trying to trademark but it fell through.  Driver, putter, 7 iron.  Hit the 7-iron soft on wedge shots or open the club face if need be.  Eventually I wised up and just added a gap wedge.

I now carry a driver, 6 iron, 3 iron, gap wedge, a long distance putter, and a short range putter.  My distances vary greatly with the irons so a 6 will hit 20-30 yards further or less depending on the day so it's kind of a 9 iron sometimes..

Note: This thread is 3893 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!