IGNORED

Should there be a Saturday Cut especially in the US Open?

Onin2
Note: This thread is 3961 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Should there be a Saturday cut in the U.S. Open?

• Yes
    • No

Should there be a Saturday cut? My girlfriend who is planning to get into the game, asked while we were watching a golf tournament: "Why are the guys who are at the bottom of the leaderboard still playing when they can't win?" I said they are playing to improve their position on the money list and for FedEx Points. I know the PGA experimented with Saturday cuts a few years back and were rebuffed by the players. I did some Google research and found that only once since 1956 has someone comeback from 10 strokes down. AND that tournament was GIVEN to him by Jean van de Velde.

Does it make sense to carry 70+ players into Sunday with no real chance to win? Especially in a tournament like the US Open.

10 strokes

• Paul Lawrie, 1999 British Open

9 strokes

• Stewart Cink, 2004 MCI Heritage

8 strokes

• Jack Burke Jr., 1956 Masters Tournament
  • Ken Venturi, 1959 Los Angeles Open
  • Mark Lye, 1983 Bank of Boston Classic
  • Hal Sutton, 1985 St. Jude Memphis Classic
  • Chip Beck, 1990 Buick Open
  • Scott Simpson, 1998 Buick Invitational
  • Craig Stadler, 2003 B.C. Open
  • Kyle Stanley, 2012 Waste Management Phoenix Open

Sometimes, there is a Saturday cut.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yes I realize that a few players get the dreaded DNF...but what I am talking about is cutting the field in half from 70 to 35. 35 players on Sunday would make for a faster ending, be more TV friendly and more interesting for the fans. I would basically be like watching  the Tour Championship on Sunday.

As your stats have shown, not very many winners.  What it doesn't say is how many guys have gone from 60th to 20th or lower or vice versa.  Were talking a lot of money gained or lost if you go up a lot or fall a lot.  It might not mean a lot for the top tier guys but for the other guys that extra money they can earn or lose means a lot.  Plus it doesn't bother us at all, TV coverage doesn't show any of those guys on Sunday unless they hit a great shot or do something crazy.

I don't have a problem with the US Open, and other tournaments deciding to not employ a Saturday cut.  While many of these tour players who fall outside the top 20 of the lead board on Friday, never have a legit shot to win over the weekend... There is still a lot to play for with regard to World Ranking Points, Tour Earnings and FedEx points.  Enough so that even the guy who gets a T62 at the US Open, that money could end up helping him retain his card at the end of the season.

So while it may not make sense to the casual fan or observer... These guys are trying to continue their dream, and or put food on the table for their families.

• Administrator

No, if for no other reason than it gives fans more to watch on Sunday.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by Onin2

Yes I realize that a few players get the dreaded DNF...but what I am talking about is cutting the field in half from 70 to 35. 35 players on Sunday would make for a faster ending, be more TV friendly and more interesting for the fans. I would basically be like watching  the Tour Championship on Sunday.

Just don't watch the morning coverage - tune in at 2pm and you'll get the exact same coverage as if the field was cut to 35.

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

What do you gain by adding a cut?

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

For the people who actually attend the tournament it makes a big difference. You have a larger time window for attendance, people are likely to stay longer (more refreshment sales etc). The jam up of people following Tiger and the leaders is reduced with more personal favorites on the course etc. In short except for TV there is little advantage. TV money for non majors is much less, sponsors, pro ams, ticket sales, refreshments and trinkets are just as or more important than TV. Often the sponsor pays for TV rights and production costs for smaller tournaments or they wouldn't be televised at all.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Originally Posted by Onin2

I think the US Open is already low 60 and ties and should not be cut further.  Turn it on later or fast forward if you don't like watching guys who are out of it.

Note: This thread is 3961 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!