IGNORED

My Swing (Slice of Life)

Slice of Life
Note: This thread is 1324 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

Wow, your swing is looking pretty good! You're gonna love evolvr.

Thanks EJ! I'm working on a home ball striking setup like you have, just need to get a mat and a net of sorts. Thinking about picking up the OptiShot golf sim too, don't care how realistic it is, it would still be fun.

And yeah, I'm looking forward to Evolvr. As soon as I hammer down these new swing tips to muscle memory, I'll sign up and start uploading. I'm excited and nervous haha.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Slice of Life

Alright, instead of hitting balls at the range (like I should), I just went and played 9 with a friend. Completely disregarded score, and just played to work on my swing and rhythm.

I struck the ball better than I ever have in my life. I hit one bad Iron shot, and I just pushed it off the toe a little, lack of concentration. Other than that, every iron and hybrid shot was pretty damn good. The only thing I had an issue with, is the distance has increased, and I kept hitting draws. With everything...Driver, 3 wood, hybrid, irons...never before have I been able to consistently hit a draw. Neither of these are really "issues", I just need to figure out my new distances and compensate for a slight draw instead of a slice.

Here's a new video of a couple swings. Starts with a 9 iron to a 135 yard par 3, followed by a 7 iron from 150, which I blasted over the green into the water...first time I've ever been happy about hitting into water. Hit my 7 iron about 175 like it was nothing with a nice draw, heading right at the pin.

Looks like I've gone back to over-swinging a hair (which I expected...this is a lot to remember and isn't all muscle memory yet), but the arch in the back looks gone...I may be relaxing the upper back a little much though. Also, I think I may be rotating my hips too early when comparing this to the Fowler vid that Mike posted.

Either way, so far, so great...and I definitely wasn't expecting immediate results (Nor do I expect the immediate results to continue at this pace). The guy I normally played with was blown away and I may have convinced him to join Evolvr too haha.

Hey, great to hear things are going well.  Would agree there was some "regression" in those recent swings with regards to the left knee.  That's normal, takes a good amount of time to make the changes stick.  The positive thing is you can play better as you keep improving, it doesn't "have to" be in a certain position to see improvement.  Keep up the good work

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Originally Posted by mvmac

Hey, great to hear things are going well.  Would agree there was some "regression" in those recent swings with regards to the left knee.  That's normal, takes a good amount of time to make the changes stick.  The positive thing is you can play better as you keep improving, it doesn't "have to" be in a certain position to see improvement.  Keep up the good work

Definitely. Looks like I've gotten used to keeping off my toes, but the left knee is coming way in. Gonna head to the range and work on that and stopping my backswing before my elbow bends all out of whack. Then once that's stuck, I'll work on the keeping the club from going so far outside of my hands...although in the new vid it looks like it isn't as bad on the downswing.

Iron ball-striking is definitely the weakest part of my game. I think if I can consistently hit my irons better, I'll drop my scores from mid 90's to low 80's in no time. Chipping, short pitches, putting, and long (>200) yard shots are pretty decent...but you can't score well when your first putt is for bogey or even double.

Ryan M

Horrible. Absolutely horrible.

I saw some video of myself from today...just an all time golf low for me. Played like trash this weekend and the tape shows why. Looks like I've never swung a club in my life.

Need to hit 1000 balls this week. At least...

Ryan M

• Administrator

Need to hit 1000 balls this week. At least...

No you don't.

You need to hit some golf balls while actively doing something.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

No you don't.

You need to hit some golf balls while actively doing something.

Yeah, I don't mean mindlessly smacking balls, so the 1000 number was an exaggeration. I definitely need to get to work though...

Read through that thread a couple weeks ago...good stuff.

Ryan M

Your shoulder turn is way better than before you lifted the heel and over rotated your shoulders going back.  Downswing is very good to just gets a little out and steep around A5 - 6 and causes those cut shots.  Backswing could be cleaned up but, your top position looks good

Driver: Titleist 915 D3
3 wood: 15 Callaway X Hot pro
Hybrids:  18 Callaway X Hot Pro
Irons: 4-GW Callaway Apex
project x 6.0
Wedges: 54 , 58 Callaway
Putter: 2 ball
Ball: Callaway Chrome

Originally Posted by poser

Your shoulder turn is way better than before you lifted the heel and over rotated your shoulders going back.  Downswing is very good to just gets a little out and steep around A5 - 6 and causes those cut shots.  Backswing could be cleaned up but, your top position looks good

Thanks, I'll take your advice to heart, you have one of the best looking swings on here. Haha.

Biggest thing I think I need to work on is quieting my legs and hips I think. They are just all over the place. :/

Maybe I should start exaggerating it during practice and trying not to move my lower body at all...

Ryan M

Any better? Practicing in slow motion today, video is about 80% speed on the downswing. Feels reeeeaaallly awkward. I was really exaggerating the hands coming in and keeping my hands inside or at least even with the club at 90 degrees and it ended up not looking exaggerated...

• Upvote 1
Ryan M

During your backswing, your head and body lean forward and drop towards the ball. So in order to not hit 6 inches behind the ball, your body stands back up on the downswing right before impact. This will result in a lot of shots with an open clubface. I fall victim to this fairly often.

Originally Posted by BostonBrew

During your backswing, your head and body lean forward and drop towards the ball. So in order to not hit 6 inches behind the ball, your body stands back up on the downswing right before impact. This will result in a lot of shots with an open clubface. I fall victim to this fairly often.

I don't actually think it is all that exaggerated and probably not a priority piece for him yet.

Slice if you have started evolvr, just work on whatever they are telling you to.  If not keep working on what Mike did for you in the video.  You can't fix it all at once as you know just take it one thing at a time.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

please put the video camera down the foot line, not the target line. It makes it hard to see were the clubhead is at in the swing :p

You probably can get away with shortening the swing a bit. It looks like you make a good full turn, but then you keep turning the shoulders even more, which i think pulls you off the ball.

I still think you need to stand away from the ball more, its making you swing very upright with the hands, decreasing depth. Get the hands more under the chin, and nose.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Originally Posted by saevel25

please put the video camera down the foot line, not the target line. It makes it hard to see were the clubhead is at in the swing :p

You probably can get away with shortening the swing a bit. It looks like you make a good full turn, but then you keep turning the shoulders even more, which i think pulls you off the ball.

I still think you need to stand away from the ball more, its making you swing very upright with the hands, decreasing depth. Get the hands more under the chin, and nose.

What do you mean? Like...facing my face?

Ok, so don't hang the hands straight down, hang them out a bit...got it. Going to sign up for Evolvr now before I forget.

Ryan M

What do you mean? Like...facing my face?

Ok, so don't hang the hands straight down, hang them out a bit...got it. Going to sign up for Evolvr now before I forget.

What he means is the toes of your feet should be a in a perpendicular straight line from the camera lens. In your recent video, your feet are aligned closed to the camera lens.

Originally Posted by BostonBrew

What he means is the toes of your feet should be a in a perpendicular straight line from the camera lens. In your recent video, your feet are aligned closed to the camera lens.

Gotcha. I'll get a new one up soon.

Ryan M

Alright, Some of this stuff is starting to become natural. Not arching the back, and flexing the left knee. Now I'm focusing more on cutting the backswing down and the swing plane. Every day, no excuses, I'm gonna record myself and play it back to see what I'm doing. It's amazing how much different it looks than it feels.

Here's a video of 3 consecutive swings pretty close to full speed. Still having trouble keeping the backswing shorter, but the swing plane and hand/club position looks like it's improving...

Ryan M

Focus on one thing first, not 3, master it then move on

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Originally Posted by saevel25

Focus on one thing first, not 3, master it then move on

Yeah you're right. I figured shortening the backswing would just be a piece of cake. Just remind myself beforehand and I'll be fine. No such luck, it's proved to be the most difficult thing yet.

Hands forward is a piece of cake. That's done, it was just a matter of knowing to move them. So I guess I'll focus on the swing plane until it's natural for me, then I'll focus on shortening the backswing.

Ryan M

Note: This thread is 1324 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!