IGNORED

blisters on my hands

dadu991
Note: This thread is 3842 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Some urban myth here, IMO.  If you always wear gloves your hands will never toughen up. If you want tougher hands do half  the practice with gloves on, half with gloves off.  Many pros, esp the older guys, talked about bleeding hands so you know they had serious time on the range and eventually really tough hands. Absolutely no need to remove glove during a round of golf. Nicklaus never did. Just practice putting with gloves on. I wear right and left gloves only because of the damage the tropical sun does to my skin. I must totally cover up, hands too. But i practice without gloves coz during the winter i play without gloves and also, do not want to always be buying gloves.

Originally Posted by dadu991

so today i went to the range, happily i was stuck there for 2 hours, i hit 3 baskets (60 balls each), when i was in my third bucket, i am a left handed player, i felt a huge blister on the palm of my right hand like right where the club is supposed to sit on the outside, it is huge. also, i got a slight blister on my left thumb (bottom hand along the grip) and i use the interlocking grip and sorta peeled off the skin on the side of my left 4th finger.

any way to avoid this next time? or is hitting 3 baskets just too much in one day

i am also going to golf tomorrow is this a bad idea, should i let my hands rest or should i play through it

thanks

I'm a lefty who's played a ton of golf and never once had a callous on my right hand under the glove.  Do you tend to tear gloves in the palm?  This sounds like an improper grip issue to me.  I don't get callouses on my thumb, but my ring finger has taken a beating over the years.  After a 20+ year beating, the knuckles are oversized and calcified.  They still work fine...they're just bigger now..LOL

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I never had a blister from golf or worn a glove, but then I had a batting cage and pitching machine in my yard where I usually hit a few hundred balls a day for over 20 years before I started playing golf, and used a sledge hammer daily at work.

I would say to limit the number of swings a little bit until your hands get used to it. Beating that many balls one after another probably doesn't acomplish much anyway, except for the fun of hitting balls.

I recently took a golf class. 16 hours on the range in one weekend left some spots where blisters were starting to form. The next weekend's 16 hours left some pretty good blisters.

Never had them before that, though. A couple hours at the range or on the course, no problem.

I coulda sworn I left the cart right here......

Something I haven't seen mentioned, ( just skimmed the previous posts but I didn't see it) is the type of grip you have on your clubs.  Some of the harder, rougher ones like cord grips will give blisters where a chamois or velvet may not.  Grip and grip pressure can have a lot to do with it too.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 months later...

i agree. I bought a new set of nike irons and i used them for 3 rounds and I had a blister on every finger where the club rests (my grip pressure is usually about 3 of 10).  They were really tough grips and when I regripped them, the blisters went away.  Very painful stuff.

When I first started playing I had a couple blisters but it was from an improper grip, once I got the grip down I never had another one.  Also, I didn't want to stop playing while my hands were healing so I went to a store and found some stuff called liquid bandage.  It worked really slick actually, probably really similar to super glue... minus all the toxic crap in super glue that you shouldn't be putting on your skin.

Too much grip pressure (sounds counterintuitive), poorly fitted glove(s), and just plain hitting too many shots in a row have all been covered.  While you are considering if your grips are worn and may need replacement, you may want to take a good look at your grip sizes.  I don't have huge meat-hooks, but find mid-size grips are much easier to get a firm hold on without having to use that much pressure.  I know Golf Pride has a size selection guide on their web site, and expect the other big grip makers do as well.  The mid size grips also helped with aching finger joints, and I really think they help control the club better.  I'm using Golf Pride New Decade grips which aren't plush or anything, but never have blisters and haven't developed any serious callouses.

For the record, I play in Florida, and by the second hole my glove is always so sweated through that getting it on and off is a PITA, so I just leave it on all the time.  (Yeah, I really am that lazy.)  Doesn't seem to cause me any problems except dirtying the edge of my pocket if I need to reach into it very often with light colored shorts.

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

i am a left handed player, i felt a huge blister on the palm of my right hand like right where the club is supposed to sit on the outside, it is huge. also, i got a slight blister on my left thumb (bottom hand along the grip) and i use the interlocking grip and sorta peeled off the skin on the side of my left 4th finger.

any way to avoid this next time? or is hitting 3 baskets just too much in one day

i am also going to golf tomorrow is this a bad idea, should i let my hands rest or should i play through it

thanks

I'm a lefty too....you have a blister on your right palm?   This should never happen......it's caused by an improper grip.  Do you wear a glove?  If so, to you rip them to shreds?  My left thumb barely touches the grip....I can't relate to how you get a blister there either....

My 2 cents...play through it....you'll develop calluses!!  I'd be concerned about your grip....you are doing something very wrong.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Note: This thread is 3842 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!