IGNORED

Ball Test and Ball Suggestions

Note: This thread is 3890 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by kingofgreens

I used to play ProV1, then switched to Srixon Z Star, because the performance was the same and I like the brand Srixon better.

Picked up a dozen Srixon Z Stars a few weeks ago and have been playing/practicing with them. It's a good ball, but I'm fairly sure I will be returning to the ProV after I'm done with them. I was hoping I'd fall in love with it because the price difference would definitely be welcome. But they just haven't impressed me. I guess I was just hoping for more.

I will also mention there may be a bit of brand loyalty factoring into the decision.

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

Try the normal Chrome - it will get trajectory back up and you should regain all of your driver distance; it should have more length than the e5, with nice greenside spin. You might also try the TP3 or RBZ Urethane.

That's next on my list, a sleeve of Chrome.  So far though, the Chrome + will  be an excellent ball for me on windier days.

Acer XF Ti 10.5 / GDI G60
Mizuno JPX 825 Hybrids 16* and 19* / Steel Fiber HLS75
Mizuno MP H4 (4-PW) / Steel Fiber i95 cw
Titleist Vokey 50,54,58
Odyssey ProType Tour #7

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted by reedf

Here is a chart from Golf Digest for 2013. I am putting the Callaway Hex Chrome into play tonight, changing from the e6 for exactly the reasons you mention. I tried a sleeve of ProV1s last week but had too much spin on my driver. The e5 has an even higher spin rate off the driver. So I decided I liked the driver spin of the e6 but wanted more half wedge spin around the greens. Following this chart made selecting a new ball easy, now to see if it actually works.

For Titleist Pro V1 & V1x, the chart is a contradiction.   Titleist's own ad claims V1 has a lot more spin than V1x.  The chart shows not much difference.   This chart result also goes against my experience with the two balls as I see the same thing the ad claims.  That is, V1 spins a lot more than V1x.   I can't trust this chart.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by rkim291968

For Titleist Pro V1 & V1x, the chart is a contradiction.   Titleist's own ad claims V1 has a lot more spin than V1x.  The chart shows not much difference.   This chart result also goes against my experience with the two balls as I see the same thing the ad claims.  That is, V1 spins a lot more than V1x.   I can't trust this chart.

First, ads exagerate.

Two, both golf balls have a Urethane cover, they both have the same first two layers of the golf ball. They will have very similar wedge spin.

The chart is 50% wedge shots. Meaning that the ball wont compress enough to interact with the core as much as a driver.

basically wedge spin is all about cover on the ball. The Pro-V1 might have more spin on full iron shots, but that is not this chart.

But looking at the chart, Callaway Hex Diablo looks like a good deal for a cheap ball

Callaway Hex Chrome looks like a good substitute away from a premium golf ball.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Anyone try the new 6 layer ball from MaxFli?  I guess they are trying to get into the premium ball market now.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by saevel25

First, ads exagerate.

Two, both golf balls have a Urethane cover, they both have the same first two layers of the golf ball. They will have very similar wedge spin.

The chart is 50% wedge shots. Meaning that the ball wont compress enough to interact with the core as much as a driver.

basically wedge spin is all about cover on the ball. The Pro-V1 might have more spin on full iron shots, but that is not this chart.

But looking at the chart, Callaway Hex Diablo looks like a good deal for a cheap ball

Callaway Hex Chrome looks like a good substitute away from a premium golf ball.

You may be right.  Thanks for enlightening me.  I was going by my experience on drives alone.  Pro V1 seems to spin a lot more than Pro V1x (one of my favorite balls BTW).

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Hey rkim291968 thanks for posting that spin chart PDF, that was very helpful to me.

You got it...The Hex Chromes were the ball of the year for the courses I played last year, every body played them and no one could keep them in stock, but there were plenty of Hex blacks in stock for $12-15 more. Good marketing ploy by Callaway...The HEX black is a great ball as well, penetrating drives, hard around the greens(the 2011-12 version) I just shot some of the new Hex Chromes and blacks into woods, I am still crying. Callaway is also marketing these guys as X-outs(save $10), I think this is an attempt to gain some new buyers. It is a premium ball however. It's the old Spalding/Top-flite X-out spin from the 80's and 90's. However the Callaway HEX X-outs have a cool  X-out Tattoo on them & come in 3-ball sleeves...instead of the old Top-Flite X-outs with the embossed series of X's across the logo, loosely shoved in a box like marbles in a bag...welcome to the 2010's.... Best X-outs i ever bought...

I am however going to try the Wilson FG tour models

I believe Callaway is selling the HEX Chrome Family for $28.10 in honor of Phil's win for a limited time.

Considering Phil won the Open with the HEX Chrome+, I'd consider this family a premium ball...

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

after seeing the chart I bought a sleeve of Chrome +.  I love them.  Didn't see much difference in the drives vs V1x but greenside they are way better IMO.  And for the price it's a no brainer.  I bought 3 dozen for less than 2 dozen pro v's would cost.   I will say they are not very durable though.  The more hard wedges I hit the more they get trashed.  Start to come apart after 9 but still playable.  But for $2.50 a ball who cares.

I just picked up two dozen of the HEX CHROME + and have played them for two rounds. Love the distance and control, and super good spin with irons and wedges.Might be my new ball for long term.Had been playing NXT TOUR S but this ball performs better and holds up better in my opinion. Thanks to Phil's win in the open they are only $28.10 in honor of his winning score there of 281. Great deal

i'm searching also, till now i like the Wilson FG Tour balls best.

Right now i'm testing Taylormade Penta TP5.

don't have a great feeling with them.

What is nice also wilson balls also is that they are rather cheap.

In heavy wind i like wilson dx3 soft

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

I've been  playing Srixon TriSpeed Tours and find them to be the longest off the tee and match up well with a high kick,stiff tip shaft.Thing about the TST's though,too low off the irons and not great on the greens.Played with a sleeve of Hex Chromes last night though and I really really liked them. Not as long but not noticably short, off the irons they had a better trajectory, felt more like a two piece ala Srixon Soft Feels or Nike PD Softs. On the greens the Hex Chromes are the real deal,never had a ball just absolutely stick like these do.

Superfast 12 LS Driver set at 10*w/ProLaunch red shaft

:callaway:RazrFitXtreme w/MatrixBlackTie 15*:adams:Idea ProBlack hybrid 16*:adams: Idea ProBlack Hybrid 20*  :callaway: RazrX Forged 4-PW  CG14  54* S Wedge

Idea A3 60*  L wedge

:rife: IBF Aussie Tour Blade putter

well today in my 3-ball pocket today I had a Hex chrome(2012) an e7 and a wilson smartcore. the chrome lasted as long as it took to hit the house on the left side of the fairway off the first tee. The e7 got me through 10 holes and the wilson & friends got me home. I did reload with two Hex Blacks which I think are great driving balls, but they are bricks on uphill chips, they perform great I just get a weird feedback from my wedges when i hit them. it sounds exactly like bouncing a golfball on a concrete floor..."dunk"  I am still out on the Wilson's, It is a denial thing that a .63 cent ball hits that well for me on all shots. Unless i ramp up the driver full throttle it shoots straight and true. I hit e7's all day long no comments on them. I found a snake eyes "Fuzz" on the course and played it for three holes...not a bad ball, kinda hard..it did get furry after some wedge shots.

I'll do a Hex chrome vs Hex black on Sunday...

Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop

So weird, I just play cheap wilson golf balls you buy in a red mesh bag at walmart rofl... I think maybe my game could be slightly suffering by using such a cheap ball.

If your handicap is 22 as your profile says, not necessarily so.   What little your game may have suffered, you made up with more money in your pocket.  You can buy a lesson with the money you saved and seriously improve your game.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Just a follow up on this thread. I bought a box of the Callway Hex Chrome + when it was on sale. I've tried it twice on 9 hole rounds and the returns were pretty good. I've also fooled around with the balls a bunch on the chipping greens. I love the stopping power, and my full wedges were actually spinning backward. The ball might be slightly wilder off the tee, but not by much. I do love the feel of the ball around the greens. I'm going to keep playing my e6s for a bit until I run out, but I'm definitely switching full time to the Hex Chrome + once I run out.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

i tried the Z star, i really like it alot.  I can't afford to buy pro v 1 every weekend....

taylormade.gifR11 Driver
taylormade.gif3wood
taylormade.gif5wood
ping.gif20 degree hybrid
titleist.gif 5-Wscratch.gif SWodyssey.gif putter Srixon balls

Z-Star is coming out with upgraded version soon. Should have spin-skin.

Good news is current Z-Stars are on starting to show up on sale. My $19.99/dz balls just arrived from Academy Sports. Free shipping for orders over $39 so, two dozen were delivered for under $40.

Will the deal last? Will two dozen balls last me through the season? Will the new version be worth paying double?

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Note: This thread is 3890 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!