IGNORED

Ballooning ProLaunch Blue, will tipping bring it down?

Note: This thread is 3954 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Friday night on the seventh hole my beloved Grafalloy Blue Axis 60R broke off right at the adapter on my Adams Fast12 LS .The shaft was old,from an original gen Speedline that I loved so I suspect that was a big part of it's demise, age and abuse.So saturday I run to pick up a new shaft at Golfsmith and the specs to the Prolaunch blue looked close enough so I put a 65R in the adapter after I drilled out the remaining shaft pieces, I trimmed the butt end to make it the same length that it was before, about 43-ish. I played with it last night and while I still feel it load up about the same and control feels pretty good, it's shooting the ball like a rainbow, straight, but about 20 yards shorter since it's going about 30 yards higher in the air and just falling,no rollout at all. Anybody think that tip trimming about a half inch or so might bring the flight down a bit without affecting the flex too much? My SS is in the low 90's and I find myself pushing stiff flex shafts so I don't want to sacrifice control.

Superfast 12 LS Driver set at 10*w/ProLaunch red shaft

:callaway:RazrFitXtreme w/MatrixBlackTie 15*:adams:Idea ProBlack hybrid 16*:adams: Idea ProBlack Hybrid 20*  :callaway: RazrX Forged 4-PW  CG14  54* S Wedge

Idea A3 60*  L wedge

:rife: IBF Aussie Tour Blade putter

43" seems like a really short driver. That would cut SOME distance. But no shafts are made equal. I would say this is a case of not being properly fitted, and buying the wrong shaft.

And the shaft you bought is listed as a high launch shaft if you look at their website..

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Blue Axis is also considered high launch but the flight was just about perfect, regardless, if I tipped the regular ProLaunch Blue by about a half inch or so, do you think that would bring the flight down?The amount I removed was from the butt end, I misspoke earlier, it measures out at 44.5, the exact same length the shaft that was previously in it was.

:callaway:RazrFitXtreme w/MatrixBlackTie 15*:adams:Idea ProBlack hybrid 16*:adams: Idea ProBlack Hybrid 20*  :callaway: RazrX Forged 4-PW  CG14  54* S Wedge

Idea A3 60*  L wedge

No, cutting it isn't going to do anything but give you less distance, imo. You just bought the wrong shaft for you, a common problem, as most people don't want to spend the extra few dollars for a fitting, or just don't know they need to be fitted.

The only thing that will give you the ballflight you need is to be fitted for a proper shaft for you.

You can't expect one shaft to perform like a totally different one. Just because your old shaft was high launch means nothing, it is a totally different shaft with different flex and kick points. If you want the right shaft for you, get fitted. Guessing never works.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Sorry to have bothered you.

Idea A3 60*  L wedge

You did not bother me. You are upset I gave you an answer you dont want to hear. You bought the wrong shaft. Nothing more to it.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Tipping will make the shaft more stiff and lower the kick point, thereby reducing the launch angle.

I used to use Titleist 909D (regular-flex) that I had it tipped 1/2 inch.  Its flex was somewhere between regular and stiff (more towards stiff than regular), and had a lower launch angle, which was perfect.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yea, won't hurt to start experimenting a little with tipping it more.  I mean, like that other poster said, you could've purchased the wrong shaft although the specs of the Axis vs ProL Blue are very similar.  Do you know if your old shaft was standard tipped?

1/2" tip should stiffen up the bottom a bit but since you've already butt trimmed, its gonna shorten your club.

The PL Blue isn't a bad shaft but usually not the best choice for drivers because they tend to go too high for most players.  Maybe pull the shaft out, get a new one for your driver and start fresh.  Save the this one and maybe use it for a future 3 wood.  They actually play out pretty nice for 3w because it really helps kick the ball up off the deck.

• Upvote 1

Acer XF Ti 10.5 / GDI G60
Mizuno JPX 825 Hybrids 16* and 19* / Steel Fiber HLS75
Mizuno MP H4 (4-PW) / Steel Fiber i95 cw
Titleist Vokey 50,54,58
Odyssey ProType Tour #7

Originally Posted by Yukari

Tipping will make the shaft more stiff and lower the kick point, thereby reducing the launch angle.

I used to use Titleist 909D (regular-flex) that I had it tipped 1/2 inch.  Its flex was somewhere between regular and stiff (more towards stiff than regular), and had a lower launch angle, which was perfect.

That's exactly what I was thinking,thank you for verifying that based on your own experience. I looked at  the specs a little deeper than what I had initially and it turns out the PTL on the Axis was only 3" versus the 4.5" of the PL Blue, lending to the softness and higher ball flight.

Idea A3 60*  L wedge

Note: This thread is 3954 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!