IGNORED

TST SoCal Golfers - Fall 2013 Outing - 10/13 @ Oak Quarry (Riverside, CA)

Note: This thread is 3768 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think we need to know when courses are punching the greens. Sucks to play on greens that have just been punched. I guess I don't really know how overseeding will effect the course. Can someone explain please?

Originally Posted by Pakoh

I think we need to know when courses are punching the greens. Sucks to play on greens that have just been punched.

I guess I don't really know how overseeding will effect the course. Can someone explain please?

I just looked it up because I didn't know either.  Sounds like a process of laying down seed on top of grass so that new, fresh grass grows over the top of it.  I'm assuming California is different from other regions that overseed with seasonal grasses so that when one goes dormant, the other one takes it's place.

The affect appears to be that for about 10 days or more, there is additional growth on the greens, fairways and tee boxes as they don't mow the grass while the new seed is taking root and growing in.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

• Administrator
Originally Posted by tristanhilton85

Mike or Erik, is there a possibility of a 5SK or Aimpoint clinic (or both) this time around since Erik might be coming?

Possibly. The wife might be cheaping out. She says for the cost of her and kiddo's plane tickets she can go to Orlando for a week. So I might be free all of those days. :P

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by iacas

So I might be free all of those days. :P

Make sure you act disappointed.

Over seeding isn't as bad as aeration in my opinion.   If Goose Creek simply over seeds on 9/29... I believe by the 13th it would be nearly back to its prime playing conditions?  Especially if the temperatures start to cool off rather than remain high during the days...

Pretty much any course with a halfway decent maintenance team will be doing the same thing during the early part of October... They overseed when the evening temperatures fall below a certain threshold.  For instance, Bermuda grass will start to go dormant when evening temperatures start to fall below 65*F.

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Over seeding isn't as bad as aeration in my opinion.   If Goose Creek simply over seeds on 9/29... I believe by the 13th it would be nearly back to its prime playing conditions?  Especially if the temperatures start to cool off rather than remain high during the days...

Pretty much any course with a halfway decent maintenance team will be doing the same thing during the early part of October... They overseed when the evening temperatures fall below a certain threshold.  For instance, Bermuda grass will start to go dormant when evening temperatures start to fall below 65*F.

Not sure quite how it is in the IE area, but out in the desert when a course over seeds they close for a month... Most of the in the desert do it in October so they are shut down that entire month and then depending on the course it is cart path only for a week or two.

Originally Posted by bmartin461

I called GC and they are planning to overseed on Sept 29th (Sunday), so the course would be 2/3s recovered by Oct 13th.  They said it's both fairways and greens.

I hope this helps.

Brad

According to the guy I talked to at Goose Creek right now, they'll overseed in late September (he didn't have an exact date) and then they'll be shut down for a couple weeks. He said if they are back open by the 13th that they would more than likely be cart path only.

In light of this I think we should either look at a different course or maybe push the date back a bit. The majority of courses in that area are going to be overseeding so we may run into this problem a bunch.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Originally Posted by mvmac

Goose Creek looks good and I think Tristan brought up a good point with the over seeding.  Anyone played Cross Creek or Temeku Hills?

I haven't played either of those, but I spoke with a guy at Cross Creek right now and he said that there would be no issues with overseeding, and in fact that is when the Member-Guest is so the course would be in great shape.

He said that their normal rate is $75 at that time but with 20 players he said he'd be able to do $69 and include range balls. He said we'd be able to go out starting at 8:40.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

• Administrator

In light of this I think we should either look at a different course or maybe push the date back a bit. The majority of courses in that area are going to be overseeding so we may run into this problem a bunch.

For the reasons stated above I'd prefer that the date stay exactly what it is.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

For the reasons stated above I'd prefer that the date stay exactly what it is.

Yeah... you're right... let's keep the 13th as our date.

Any other suggestions on courses? I think that Cross Creek looks really nice but I haven't played there myself. The Crossings would be nice too but I think that maybe on the pricey side.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Yeah... you're right... let's keep the 13th as our date.

Any other suggestions on courses? I think that Cross Creek looks really nice but I haven't played there myself. The Crossings would be nice too but I think that maybe on the pricey side.

Erik and I played it with Mr. Desmond after our Spring outing.  It was ok, some funky holes, target golf, Talega was in much better shape.

So it looks like it's between Cross Creek and Goose Creek.  I'm leaning towards Cross Creek because the course will be in good shape and it's closer to my house ;-)  Going to check in on one other course but I'm guessing it will be too expensive.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Originally Posted by mvmac

Erik and I played it with Mr. Desmond after our Spring outing.  It was ok, some funky holes, target golf, Talega was in much better shape.

So it looks like it's between Cross Creek and Goose Creek.  I'm leaning towards Cross Creek because the course will be in good shape and it's closer to my house ;-)  Going to check in on one other course but I'm guessing it will be too expensive.

Between those two, I'd also lean towards Cross Creek as I don't want to have to deal with cart path only and while they might allow walking, I think that will turn some people off.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Oak Quarry should be considered too.  Solid course.

When I return, I will play Oak Quarry again - fun course, unusual setting. Get an early morning tee time, it gets full...

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Oak Quarry should be considered too.  Solid course.

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

When I return, I will play Oak Quarry again - fun course, unusual setting. Get an early morning tee time, it gets full...

Definitely agree.  It was one of the courses we originally recommended on the first page.  Not sure why it was overlooked??

Big C aka Colin, are you going to be out of town on the weekend of the 13th or just busy on that day?  'Cause if I come down, maybe we could get in a round on Saturday with Beach?  Maybe we could play on his home course so he would actually have a chance at beating us .

Big C aka Colin, are you going to be out of town on the weekend of the 13th or just busy on that day?  'Cause if I come down, maybe we could get in a round on Saturday with Beach?  Maybe we could play on his home course so he would actually have a chance at beating us a2_wink.gif .

If your playing Costa Mesa be sure to wear your football helmet!

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Big C aka Colin, are you going to be out of town on the weekend of the 13th or just busy on that day?  'Cause if I come down, maybe we could get in a round on Saturday with Beach?  Maybe we could play on his home course so he would actually have a chance at beating us .

Hahah!!  Lets do it!  Come on down to Orange County and we will get out and play a round my friend!

Hey Brandon... I have 3 pictures to make one word.  Lets see if you can guess what word I'm thinking of!!

Note: This thread is 3768 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!