Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
scrilla

Handicap

45 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I'm new to golf but have become absolutley addicted. I unerstand what a handicap is, but I want to know how to calculate my own. Also is it possible to calculate it by playing a bunch of 9 hole rounds and doubling? Also I have heard that things such as slope rating go into it, but I don't really know what that is.

Thanks

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Don't know how it is in the rest off the world but in the Netherlands it's as follows:

We first off all start with a GVB ( golf skills certificate )

In this your tested on course if you have somewhat decent skills

and some fair knowhow about golf rules, so you should know how to calculate stableford scores and what to do when ball is in a hazard or ob what so ever. just some basics.

some clubs are offering a week program.

Ones you have that certificate you are allowed on the course before that only with the club pro's.

Than it's up to you how to go on. You can become a member off a golfclub, you automatically pay an amount to the NGF ( dutch golf federation ) if you play a qualifying round at the club your handicap will automatically be registered. If your handicap is over 9 your able to register a 9 hole card, you should add 18 stb points for the next 9 holes.

Than there is an other way, you don't have to be a member off a golfclub, we call that a white hdc player. You still pay about $100 a year to the NGF and they will register your handicap. If you go out and play you should mark a scorecard as if it's a qualifying round with a stamp, this is also registered at the golfclub your at. After you finish you send the scorecard to the NGF, after a couple off days your handicap will be up to date, and can be followed online.

In very short terms ( this is not totally accurate ) because there are course difficulty issues.

But the number off shots you play over par on average will be your handicap.

so i play a handicap off 6,8 at the moment basically this means i on average play my rounds 7 over par. However if i get a good round like my last 2. i drop 0,2 points off my handicap for every shot i play better than my actual handicap. So if i shoot a 75 at my local par 70 course, my new handicap will be 6,4. however if i play worse than my handicap we first get a 2 shot cushion. if it's worse than that my handicap will increase with 0,1.

To start up a handicap i suggest you play 5 rounds and take the average number off shot's over par as your handicap and move on from there.

Hope this clears it out for you.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, thanks for the responses. However, I am more trying to calculate my handicap for my own personal interest, rather than for tournament or league play, seeing I'm not nearly good enough for that yet. Is there a way I can do this with paying money to register and what not? I don't need an official card from the PGA, I just want to be able to play competivley with friends who have played for much longer than myself, and be able to tell them I'm a 15 handicap for instance.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by chriskzoo

http://www.csgnetwork.com/golfhcapcalc.html

Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by scrilla

Ok, thanks for the responses. However, I am more trying to calculate my handicap for my own personal interest, rather than for tournament or league play, seeing I'm not nearly good enough for that yet. Is there a way I can do this with paying money to register and what not? I don't need an official card from the PGA, I just want to be able to play competivley with friends who have played for much longer than myself, and be able to tell them I'm a 15 handicap for instance.

Most people at my club will not allow golfers who don't have a verifiable handicap to join them in their money games.  Don't know if this is just an issue at my club or all clubs?  I can understand their issues with this, especially when someone brings an unknown.  I still calculate my own even though I have a GHIN, I like to see it moving before the revisions.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, I use an app on my phone which is rather handy (don't know if I can name it or not, I'll PM you with the one I use though if you would like).  It keeps up with scores, weather, round duration, handicap and even stats like your overall best and worst holes.  Its just fun to go back and review my progress from the past as well... Plus its free for the lite version!  I actually read this post because I'm still curious about handicaps.

So back on topic:


If I were eventually wanting to play in a local tournament at a public course I would need to pay to have my handicap kept up with before I decide to play in it?  Just curious about that.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by dtambo

Hi, I use an app on my phone which is rather handy (don't know if I can name it or not, I'll PM you with the one I use though if you would like).  It keeps up with scores, weather, round duration, handicap and even stats like your overall best and worst holes.  Its just fun to go back and review my progress from the past as well... Plus its free for the lite version!  I actually read this post because I'm still curious about handicaps.

So back on topic:

If I were eventually wanting to play in a local tournament at a public course I would need to pay to have my handicap kept up with before I decide to play in it?  Just curious about that.

Can't speak for anything other than my club because I have never played in a tournament at another course, unless it was a Golf Channel Am Tour event.  At my course you need a verifiable handicap to play in tournaments there.  If you don't have a handicap and are allowed in, they will give you a handicap of 0.  I just found this out at my clubs annual Men's Invitational.  I had a guest who joined us who said he was a 2 or a 3 handicap, come to find out he used to be a few years ago but doesn't play much golf anymore.  Since he didn't have a handicap, they gave him a 0 which pretty much ended all chances of us competing.  He would have probably been a 10 or around there.  3 day tournament...costing my team 10 shots a day...do the math...not good.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by chriskzoo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handicap_(golf)

You can get an official USGA handicap through most local courses (usually around $25/year) and for 9 hole round you don't double them - you just post them and they get combined with your next 9 hole round.

At our golf club, the computer link where you post scores has a click-block for 9 or 18 holes. The software makes all necessary calculations, and gives a HDCP update every two weeks.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I also compute my own just for the heck of it. I no longer have a club membership and do not compete unless its just among friends for a little private wagering. I probably should just average raw scores, but using the formula gives me something to do and supposedly takes into consideration of what you are "likely" to shoot over time. semantics and opinions may vary.

raw score minus course rating  x 113 divided by course slope. x .96 (lowest out of 5 for example) or average of 10 lowest out of 20 x .96

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by dtambo

Hi, I use an app on my phone which is rather handy (don't know if I can name it or not, I'll PM you with the one I use though if you would like).  It keeps up with scores, weather, round duration, handicap and even stats like your overall best and worst holes.  Its just fun to go back and review my progress from the past as well... Plus its free for the lite version!  I actually read this post because I'm still curious about handicaps.

So back on topic:

If I were eventually wanting to play in a local tournament at a public course I would need to pay to have my handicap kept up with before I decide to play in it?  Just curious about that.

Sent you a PM. Tracking progress will be helpful in seeing what type of holes are really dragging down my scores. Right now I'm thinking its par 3's that take me two to get on the green and then a 2 putt if my first putt is a long one.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by tomvk77

Don't know how it is in the rest off the world but in the Netherlands it's as follows:

We first off all start with a GVB ( golf skills certificate )

In this your tested on course if you have somewhat decent skills

and some fair knowhow about golf rules, so you should know how to calculate stableford scores and what to do when ball is in a hazard or ob what so ever. just some basics.

some clubs are offering a week program.

Ones you have that certificate you are allowed on the course before that only with the club pro's.

Than it's up to you how to go on. You can become a member off a golfclub, you automatically pay an amount to the NGF ( dutch golf federation ) if you play a qualifying round at the club your handicap will automatically be registered. If your handicap is over 9 your able to register a 9 hole card, you should add 18 stb points for the next 9 holes.

Than there is an other way, you don't have to be a member off a golfclub, we call that a white hdc player. You still pay about $100 a year to the NGF and they will register your handicap. If you go out and play you should mark a scorecard as if it's a qualifying round with a stamp, this is also registered at the golfclub your at. After you finish you send the scorecard to the NGF, after a couple off days your handicap will be up to date, and can be followed online.

In very short terms ( this is not totally accurate ) because there are course difficulty issues.

But the number off shots you play over par on average will be your handicap.

so i play a handicap off 6,8 at the moment basically this means i on average play my rounds 7 over par. However if i get a good round like my last 2. i drop 0,2 points off my handicap for every shot i play better than my actual handicap. So if i shoot a 75 at my local par 70 course, my new handicap will be 6,4. however if i play worse than my handicap we first get a 2 shot cushion. if it's worse than that my handicap will increase with 0,1.

To start up a handicap i suggest you play 5 rounds and take the average number off shot's over par as your handicap and move on from there.

Hope this clears it out for you.

Conne cticut isn't in the Netherlands.  Just sayin'.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by turtleback

Connecticut isn't in the Netherlands.  Just sayin'.

But they border each other...close enough.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I play only 9, and then play another 9 at a different course, from my (minimal) understanding, I would add the course rating's and scores as if they were one round of 18. Would I average the slope as well then? I don't have an official, but I track my handicap using a spreadsheet and compare to GolfShot GPS to make sure my spreadsheet isn't way off base.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by WUTiger

At our golf club, the computer link where you post scores has a click-block for 9 or 18 holes. The software makes all necessary calculations, and gives a HDCP update every two weeks.

I wish there were clubs like that around here, nothing like that available to me. Maybe if I drove about 40-50 miles away. On second thought, if they were like this it would cost me more than 20-30 a round to play.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by McMullenCPA

If I play only 9, and then play another 9 at a different course, from my (minimal) understanding, I would add the course rating's and scores as if they were one round of 18. Would I average the slope as well then? I don't have an official, but I track my handicap using a spreadsheet and compare to GolfShot GPS to make sure my spreadsheet isn't way off base.

I re-calculated my handicap using this logic and matched the GolfShot GPS calculated handicap to the tenth, so that's a pretty cool feeling. If only I could golf the way I make spreadsheets *looks out of the window at work*

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by McMullenCPA

If I play only 9, and then play another 9 at a different course, from my (minimal) understanding, I would add the course rating's and scores as if they were one round of 18. Would I average the slope as well then?

Yep, that's correct.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2016 TST Partners

    GAME Golf
    PING Golf
    Lowest Score Wins
  • Posts

    • Hitting behind the ball and making deep divots...
      I took a look at your my swing thread - looks like you've gotten some good advice there and made some solid improvements.  FWIW - I posted this thread here called "What is the Secret of the Golf Swing" . .and I said that, for me, it was realizing how not to aim at the ball.  This "realization" helped me fix a lot of the things I see in your swing.  I'd been told lots and lots of times - don't hit at the ball, swing through to the target . but it didn't make sense to me . .until one day it suddenly did.  Anyway - while I suffered from this misconception - I had a variety of bad shots.  On my good days I could hit it pretty good.  On my bad days anything could happen . .I could slice it, hit it fat, pull hook it, top it, skull it, etc.  Anyway - it's not as easy as just "don't hit at the ball" . .or, as I think of it.  .don't aim "the energy of your swing at the back of the ball".   Speaking just for myself, it took a lot of practice and lessons to get to where I could "suddenly have this realization".  But . .in the meantime - you are hitting it fat (or whatever) because you're making a lot of corrections for some fundamentals that are off.  And, for sure, fatigue would have a lot to do with it.  The more fatigued you are, the less likely you'll be to make this corrections successfully .  If you get lessons or sign up for evolvr or just keep posting in the myswing thread - you can get the (slow) way forward - it's by focusing on one thing and then the next and then the next and yada yada.  I couldn't say what your "next thing" to work on is, though.     
    • "5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge May 2016
      Practicing different speeds of backswing almost making a drill of it.  Super slow checking positions, then slow, then kind of slow and swing  . I think I had one day of my reply to topic not posting bc sometimes my phone is crappy but was able to do the next morning and had two entries that day.  Its up to the powers that be if I completed the challenge. 
    • My Swing (Masher41)
      Better video. Full swing.
    • Presidential Race 2016
      I wouldn't trust a FOX poll more than i would trust an NBC poll.  Most polls have the undecided vote easily in the high teens to over 20%, http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/of-course-trump-can-win/ Here are the questions FOX'd asked. Not really exactly the title they showed in that article. Also, they asked the people, "If you don't know: Well, which way do you lean?". That is a crap question to just to tighten up the uncertainty. That way they can just clump them all under Trump or Hillary when they might actually be truly undecided.  This poll is skewed towards the two minority parties anyways. Here is the national party affiliation, http://www.gallup.com/poll/15370/party-affiliation.aspx The nation is 25% Republican, 44% Independent, and 31% Democrat. The people who answered the poll identified as 40% democrat (+9%), 41% Republican (+17%), 16% Independent ( -28%). No wonder Hillary and Trump got in the mid 40's, that is who they asked the questions from.   
    • What do you HATE the most about golf?
      Weird, I can pretty much show up whenever I want at my local course, even when busy.  The longest I've had to wait for a tee box to open up was probably 20 minutes and that was before I became a member.
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Images

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. obwan
      obwan
      (70 years old)
    2. rkim291968
      rkim291968
      (54 years old)
  • Blog Entries