IGNORED

My Swing (geauxforbroke)

geauxforbroke
Note: This thread is 3707 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 20 years

My current handicap index or average score is: mid/low 70's

My typical ball flight is: high

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: push-fade

These videos are from my most recent golf outing (Black Bear in Delhi, LA). From the video, it looks like I have a lot more lateral movement than I would have thought. Any analysis would be much appreciated. Always trying to improve.

Videos:

Tyler Martin

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Check out the Key #2 videos here .

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

Check out the Key #2 videos here.

Some great videos. I would be curious to see what my pressure percentages are throughout the swing.

Tyler Martin

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a video from last night. I've been working on taking the club back more "down the line". I noticed in other videos that I was taking it back way inside. I also noted that I'm coming over the top a hair. Not the best video, or angle for that matter. Any specific drills to work on to improve the club path?

Tyler Martin

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted by TJBam

GFB that's a great looking swing bud.  The whip you're getting on that 9 iron is nuts.  Is it stiff or xstiff?

TJ, pretty sure that is just the camera.

EDIT:  Geaux, you have a really nice swing.  Love the tempo and balance.  (I have none of that!)

GFB that's a great looking swing bud.

Thanks. I need to post a new video. Been working a lot lately with getting my hips more forward on the downswing through impact. I think I was rotating more than shifting or sliding, and that was making me come over the top on a lot of iron shots, even drives.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

TJ, pretty sure that is just the camera.

EDIT:  Geaux, you have a really nice swing.  Love the tempo and balance.  (I have none of that!)

Nope, I'm just THAT STRONG.

Kidding, it's an optical allusion. Thanks for the kind words.

Tyler Martin

Originally Posted by geauxforbroke

Thanks. I need to post a new video. Been working a lot lately with getting my hips more forward on the downswing through impact. I think I was rotating more than shifting or sliding, and that was making me come over the top on a lot of iron shots, even drives.

Nope, I'm just THAT STRONG.

Kidding, it's an optical allusion. Thanks for the kind words.

Oh.  That's disappointing. Well anyways, I got to take you out to my home course some time.  Buy you half a six pack in exchange for some swing advice (I've never shot 70's)

Oh.  That's disappointing. Well anyways, I got to take you out to my home course some time.  Buy you half a six pack in exchange for some swing advice (I've never shot 70's)

In the words of Doc Holliday, "Say when".

Tyler Martin

• 6 months later...

Been a while since I've posted here, but I spent some time at the range this morning and I wanted to post an update.

When I first posted a video here, @iacas suggested I work on Key #2. So today I spent some time working on two specific drills: the squish drill and Erik's preset hips drill.

The squish drill really gave me the feeling of getting on my left side. The preset hips drill was also really great, although I don't know if I was getting my hips or my hands far enough forward.

Here are two videos of full swings at the end of the session, one face on, the other down the line.

All in all, it was a good practice session, especially since it was the first time I've touched a club since October. I'm hoping to get back out next weekend to work on Key #2 some more. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

PS: I apologize for the poor camera work. I had to rig it up using a magnetic coozie, a wedge, and a binder clip (I felt a bit like MacGyver). If only I had a better way to mount my phone. ;-)

Tyler Martin

Been a while since I've posted here, but I spent some time at the range this morning and I wanted to post an update.

When I first posted a video here, @iacas suggested I work on Key #2. So today I spent some time working on two specific drills: the squish drill and Erik's preset hips drill.

The squish drill really gave me the feeling of getting on my left side. The preset hips drill was also really great, although I don't know if I was getting my hips or my hands far enough forward.

Here are two videos of full swings at the end of the session, one face on, the other down the line.

All in all, it was a good practice session, especially since it was the first time I've touched a club since October. I'm hoping to get back out next weekend to work on Key #2 some more. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

PS: I apologize for the poor camera work. I had to rig it up using a magnetic coozie, a wedge, and a binder clip (I felt a bit like MacGyver). If only I had a better way to mount my phone.

As a 3 cap you're obviously miles ahead of me but there is one thing I want to ask about, and maybe it's just the camera angle, but you seem to play the ball pretty far back in your stance. Could that be contributing to the pushes if your face is too open at that point in the arc?

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Yeah would agree with sticking with Key #2.  Left knee straightens too soon

Notice the player on the right has his left knee flexed over his left ankle.  Gets the weight and hips forward.

Left knee straightening too soon effects how much you can "use the ground", and can cause some path issues.  So that's where the pushes are coming from.

Good drill/visual to exaggerate the Key #2 feel

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Thanks Mike. I had a feeling I wasn't getting far enough forward. I'm hoping to get out to the range next weekend and I'll keep working on it.

Tyler Martin

Alright, two questions for @mvmac :

1) I noticed in the photo and video that you posted that the players appear to have their front foot flared a little more than I do. Do you suggest I open that lead foot a little more to facilitate getting my left knee outside my foot? I also noticed their ball position is much more forward than mine (as @Ernest Jones also pointed out). Any thoughts on that?

2) For most of the practice session, I noticed on several shots that impact was out towards the toe, and I think it may have been because I was standing too far away from the ball. For the DTL swings that I posted, I tried to get the feeling that I was crowding the ball, but looking at the video it doesn't seem like I'm too close. Any thoughts on the posture in that video, and on distance from the ball in general?

Tyler Martin

Obviously not Mike, but with my bad back, I flare my front foot out about 30 degrees, maybe more, helps me a bunch.

Alright, two questions for @mvmac:

1) I noticed in the photo and video that you posted that the players appear to have their front foot flared a little more than I do. Do you suggest I open that lead foot a little more to facilitate getting my left knee outside my foot? I also noticed their ball position is much more forward than mine (as @Ernest Jones also pointed out). Any thoughts on that?

2) For most of the practice session, I noticed on several shots that impact was out towards the toe, and I think it may have been because I was standing too far away from the ball. For the DTL swings that I posted, I tried to get the feeling that I was crowding the ball, but looking at the video it doesn't seem like I'm too close. Any thoughts on the posture in that video, and on distance from the ball in general?

1. I think it's good to flare both feet 20-25 degrees with the left foot out slightly more than the right.  Taking a look at your video again I would say it's fine to experiment with opening the left foot more.

For ball position, standard 6 iron, ball is two balls back of the left ankle.  Tough to tell from the video you posted, might be three or four back of the ankle.

2. Distance to the ball looks good IMO, again the video isn't great but I don't see it being a problem from what I can tell.

Toe hits are usually more of a weight forward thing, club head kind of follows the direction the pressure traces.  So if you don't get forward enough, pressure traces left, club "glances" across the ball.

Mike McLoughlin

1. I think it's good to flare both feet 20-25 degrees with the left foot out slightly more than the right.  Taking a look at your video again I would say it's fine to experiment with opening the left foot more.

For ball position, standard 6 iron, ball is two balls back of the left ankle.  Tough to tell from the video you posted, might be three or four back of the ankle.

2. Distance to the ball looks good IMO, again the video isn't great but I don't see it being a problem from what I can tell.

Toe hits are usually more of a weight forward thing, club head kind of follows the direction the pressure traces.  So if you don't get forward enough, pressure traces left, club "glances" across the ball.

Yeah, I'm going to experiment a bit with flaring the front foot out more, just to see if that helps in maintaining weight forward.  In the videos, I was hitting an 8, so I was playing it a little further back. I think I'll just have to experiment with that as well. Playing the ball forward might encourage a bigger shift to the left side (?).

In the DTL video, I felt like I was crowding the ball, so I'll work on standing closer if that video looks about right to you. I've been told in the past that I stand too far away, so it's something that I'm conscious of, but obviously I need to work on that since what I was doing was "normal", yet it felt like I was way too close.

I'm traveling this week, so I'll work on getting my left knee out front in the mirror in the hotel room, and hopefully I'll have an update to post this coming weekend.

Tyler Martin

Playing the ball forward might encourage a bigger shift to the left side (?).

I would tend to agree with that.  Obviously too far forward and you might start moving your head forward.

Mike McLoughlin

Note: This thread is 3707 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!