IGNORED

What shot do you dread?

Slice of Life
Note: This thread is 3900 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by saltman

I'm the same as him, my driver and I have a fickle relationship. Usually I can still pull out a 3-wood, but sometimes I have to club down to 3-iron. I also hit 3-iron 240ish, 250 would be absolutely smoked, 220-230 slight mishit including runout, not all carry. Tiger hits it further than 230 off the tee. He's probably 250-260 depending on how soft the fairways are, 230 is probably all carry.

That biggest 3 iron I've ever seen Tiger hit was around 265...downwind. That was all, just questioning a 17 handicap averaging roughly the same 3 iron distance as Woods. I suppose it's possible...just highly unlikely.

250 on a smashed 3 iron? Sure. I've hit my 5 iron 225...but I'm not gonna say that's the norm...

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Shot I dread? Ball on a downslope and feet on an upslope at address for a long iron, or the opposite. Putting up or down a 3 tiered green. Left to right downhill putt.... To name a few!

Guessing he knocked a few over 3 bills at The Open Championship this year. :) But for a couple freaks, most pros club irons close to the same distances and I am probably close to Tiger's yardage with irons as are a lot of reasonably solid amateurs. He just does it more consistently and with better control! I can't hit driver anywhere near as long as Tiger, however. In the last 15 years, my HC has been anywhere from 1 to 13, so tough to judge a book by its cover sometimes.

Guessing he knocked a few over 3 bills at The Open Championship this year. :) But for a couple freaks, most pros club irons close to the same distances and I am probably close to Tiger's yardage with irons as are a lot of reasonably solid amateurs. He just does it more consistently and with better control! I can't hit driver anywhere near as long as Tiger, however. In the last 15 years, my HC has been anywhere from 1 to 13, so tough to judge a book by its cover sometimes.

Oh come on...the Open Championship doesn't count. I could hit a 5 iron 300 there. lol

Ryan M

Seriously dude, stop already.

Bill M

Originally Posted by phan52

I wasn't gonna say it...but let's see a 220 yard 6 iron carry out of a bunker over water. lol

Ryan M

Originally Posted by Slice of Life

Quote:

I wasn't gonna say it...but let's see a 220 yard 6 iron carry out of a bunker over water. lol

That's a little knock-down shot for me. Or a full pitching wedge, depends on the wind, I suppose.

Only kidding, let's not go down that road again...

Tyler Martin

Oh those short little knee knocker putts. No idea why, but I miss way too many of them. I cringe whenever I roll a putt 2-3 feet past the hole. I missed three of them today and it cost me dearly. The yipps is no joke! LOL

I realize that spamming is against the rules and may result in my banning if I continue.

stop what? somewhere buried in the member swing threads, included is a 3-iron swing. Feel free to go judge after you view. Until then, no need to be a jerk.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/60284/my-swing-saltman ? That's not Tiger speed-Now back to the topic. [quote name="saltman" url="/t/68042/what-shot-do-you-dread/72#post_879440"] stop what? somewhere buried in the member swing threads, included is a 3-iron swing. Feel free to go judge after you view. Until then, no need to be a jerk.[/quote]

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

stop what? somewhere buried in the member swing threads, included is a 3-iron swing. Feel free to go judge after you view. Until then, no need to be a jerk.

No disrespect, but be serious. You have a 10.5 index. For you to suggest that you are "probably close to Tiger's yardage with irons" is ludicrous. Tiger Woods generates a rididculous amount of clubhead speed and hits thousands of balls a week. Whatever his average is with his irons is a controlled shot as well, while you probably have to swing out of your shoes to hit it his distance, and you probably have very little idea where it is going. If you occasionally hit an iron those distances in the middle of the fairway, I'm fairly certain it is a rarity without watching your swing. This afternoon I was out playing nine holes with my pro and I won't even go into the distances he hits his irons. But on one hole, I hit a five iron pin high from 191 yards. Now, I hit a five iron 175 yards when I make my best swing. But it was downwind and I had a flyer lie in the first cut. Just because I did that today , I don't go around telling people that I hit a 5 iron 190 yards, because I don't. I still usually hit a good 5 iron 175 yards. So I repeat. Stop already.

Bill M

So your saying you can hit a 9 iron over 200 yards? Because tiger can. He's juiced some crazy iron shots. You might be able to put out 100%, when tiger is hitting 60%. Don't judge by what you see on the TV. These guys, especially tiger are not hitting 100%.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Guys, I wasn't saying I'm a super stud who can knock a 3I 250 down the pipe every time I hit it. But it's a lot more consistent than my driver and I'm very capable of hitting it that far. To be honest, I didn't think 250 with a 3I was that impressive. Granted, it's usually going to go about 210 and dead right. But when I strike it clean, it's a 240-250 yard club off the tee. Someone mentioned a 17 handicap. Yeah, I suck. But I'm also still recovering from a shoulder surgery. Well, I should say my game is still recovering. My shoulder is fine. But my swing went to hell after 6 months of no golf at all. I was better before. High 70s... Still not a fantastic golfer. But better than the average weekender. Now, I'm lucky to break 85. Only thing I didn't lose was distance. Unfortunately, distance doesn't mean a thing if it just means you're trudging farther into the woods than anyone else.

After todays round I apparently don't like ~80 yard approach shots with water in front and to the right of the green. Hit two into the water. First one I hit really fat and came up well shot, second one got pushed by the wind and rolled down the bank into the pond.

Originally Posted by BrandonM

Guys, I wasn't saying I'm a super stud who can knock a 3I 250 down the pipe every time I hit it. But it's a lot more consistent than my driver and I'm very capable of hitting it that far. To be honest, I didn't think 250 with a 3I was that impressive. Granted, it's usually going to go about 210 and dead right. But when I strike it clean, it's a 240-250 yard club off the tee.

Someone mentioned a 17 handicap. Yeah, I suck. But I'm also still recovering from a shoulder surgery. Well, I should say my game is still recovering. My shoulder is fine. But my swing went to hell after 6 months of no golf at all. I was better before. High 70s... Still not a fantastic golfer. But better than the average weekender. Now, I'm lucky to break 85. Only thing I didn't lose was distance. Unfortunately, distance doesn't mean a thing if it just means you're trudging farther into the woods than anyone else.

There was a kid on our team a couple of weeks ago that could hit irons a long way (when he hit one). I'm not sure what any of the distances were because he had no clue what he was doing and kept flying the ball over every green (by a mile). He even hit one good tee shot with a driver and drove the ball on a drivable par 4. Problem was that the rest of his tee shots were terrible. Finally on the 9th tee he decided to use a 3 iron instead of the driver and thinned it along the ground for about 75 yards. Then he threw the 3 iron up in the top of a tree and left it there, and quit in the middle of the round (and he hasn't been back since). I got his 3 iron out of the top of the tree and left it in the clubhouse for him, along with his share of our team money winnings for that day, but I don't know if he'll ever come back or not. All of the other players said I shouldn't have given him his share of the winnings since he quit on us after 9 holes but I wouldn't have felt right about not giving him a share since he did make us one birdie on the par 4 he drove.

Having the ability to hit the ball long has very little to do with a handicap as he well proved.

BTW. The rule I try to go by is to never mention how far I hit the ball on the internet...It's not worth the hassle (that is always sure to follow).

There was a kid on our team a couple of weeks ago that could hit irons a long way (when he hit one). I'm not sure what any of the distances were because he had no clue what he was doing and kept flying the ball over every green (by a mile). He even hit one good tee shot with a driver and drove the ball on a drivable par 4. Problem was that the rest of his tee shots were terrible. Finally on the 9th tee he decided to use a 3 iron instead of the driver and thinned it along the ground for about 75 yards. Then he threw the 3 iron up in the top of a tree and left it there, and quit in the middle of the round (and he hasn't been back since). I got his 3 iron out of the top of the tree and left it in the clubhouse for him, along with his share of our team money winnings for that day, but I don't know if he'll ever come back or not. All of the other players said I shouldn't have given him his share of the winnings since he quit on us after 9 holes but I wouldn't have felt right about not giving him a share since he did make us one birdie on the par 4 he drove. Having the ability to hit the ball long has very little to do with a handicap as he well proved. BTW. The rule I try to go by is to never mention how far I hit the ball on the internet...It's not worth the hassle (that is always sure to follow).

Just because somebody can pound a ball a long way is not indicative of how far he hits a particular club if he has no clue where it is going. The shot has to be hit under control and pretty much consistently in play. When you can do that, THAT is how far you can hit that club.

Bill M

Just because somebody can pound a ball a long way is not indicative of how far he hits a particular club if he has no clue where it is going. The shot has to be hit under control and pretty much consistently in play. When you can do that, THAT is how far you can hit that club.

I agree with that completely.

And if you can do it consistently it's still not worth the hassle of mentioning it.

Note: This thread is 3900 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!