IGNORED

What is your opinion on the "Breakfast Ball"?

chriskzoo
Note: This thread is 3881 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Personally, I hate it, but it always seems to come up on the first tee when playing weekend rounds with my buddies - especially since we play for some modest stakes.  But even for those that are for the "Breakfast Ball" what is your opinion on how it should be played?

1) Do you just give everyone 2 shots on the first tee and everyone picks their best? or

2) Is it completely optional and if you play a second tee ball, that ball is the one in play?

My stock response has been "Are we playing real golf?" which usually nixes the idea of the breakfast ball, but what irritates me more is a guy who will take one, not hit it nearly as good as his first ball and say "Looks like I'll just play my first."

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

My buddies and I always play a breakfast ball, just something we've always done. The we play it is this, everybody has the option of "Two off the first". If you like your first one then you don't hit a second, if you hit two you pick the one you like better and go from there. None of us are all that good or keep an official HC, we're just out there to have fun.
my get up and go musta got up and went..

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

We used to allow it, but we have since eliminated it. It took some serious lobbying on my part. It used to be for the guys who walked onto the first tee without hitting any range balls. I would always joke that the first hole is not a driving range. Or ask them when they wanted to hit a breakfast ball if I should go get them a bucket.

I am with the OP. No breakfast balls.

Michael

I personally always take one because I never hit at the range before I start playing.  It's just a nice way to get the first shot out of the way and a chance to make adjustments if you haven't hit your driver in awhile.  If we hit at the range before playing I would definitely say no to it.

Never heard of a "Breakfast Ball" before this topic.  I never warm up on the range before I golf.  I usually do a 30 second stretch on the first tee box and I am away.  When I do decide to use the putting green before a round I will notice people taking 3-4 tee balls on the first tee box, so I would say that the "breakfast ball" is alive and well.  I myself am against it.

Never heard it called that before but we will often allow 2 off the first tee if we can't warm up. 2 mornings a week the range is closed until 11 for mowing and maintenance.  Other courses don't even have a range or even a net to hit into.  I usually just take one and actually hit my drives better cold.  As I warm up I get too loose and sloppy.  My mid irons on the first hole are the one's I'd love to have a second go at.  When not warmed up my first iron shot is way worse than my driver shot.

In a casual round, I have no problem with the breakfast ball. There's nothing worse than a playing partner who hits a terrible drive, leading to a big score on the first hole. It generally puts a dampener on the beginning of the day, and in a friendly round, I want everyone to have fun!

When playing for modest stakes, I guess it's up to the discretion of everyone in the group. I had always perceived a breakfast ball as a "do over." In other words, the first shot never happened and you play the second where it lies. But if people want to treat it as a best ball situation, it seems a little silly to complain. You're breaking the rules of golf either way!

I really don't care how another guy plays.  I have my own game to worry about and am not interested in trying to play the other guy's game for him too.

• Upvote 1

Bill - 

Nah not for me, eventhough I know people who take Morning Mulligans, or Breakfast balls but I dont. I arrive in enough time to hit the driving range and I always end my warm-up with whatever club I'll be using off the first tee. The range is there for a reason............

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Originally Posted by TJBam

If you're taking a breakfast ball it better be made of eggs and wrapped in foil inside your bag buddy

that's the best idea of them all...mmmmm

Bill - 

Originally Posted by rehmwa

that's the best idea of them all...mmmmm

And it better be shared am i right

Off topic: My fiancee makes breakfast balls in a cupcake pan made of eggs peppers onions jalapenos potatoes cheese etc.  Just pour all ingredients into a cupcake pan and throw in the oven. Wrap in foil and get outta there.

I never hit them without taking it as a 3rd stroke. However, I don't stop anyone from doing it. My only issue with it is that any new golfer would not learn the correct rules by playing with them. It does happen a lot, even in the few years I have played, I have seen it many times.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Never heard it called that before but we will often allow 2 off the first tee if we can't warm up. 2 mornings a week the range is closed until 11 for mowing and maintenance.  Other courses don't even have a range or even a net to hit into.

I think in a case where the range isn't open or no range is available I think it might be a legitimate excuse to hit one. I might reconsider my position if this was the case.

Michael

If there was no opportunity to hit the range first, I could see hitting one practice ball (assuming no one is waiting for you or your group) that is not counted as an actual shot, regardless of how good it is. Then the second shot is the real start of the round and you must use it.

Bill

Unless we are wagering, the other players can do whatever makes them happy. If I hit a poor first shot I play it. My thought is that allowing oneself a "do over" is a bad habit. Better to learn to get the first ball in play than to rely on a second chance. Some day one might be in a position where there is no 2nd chance allowed. Just like rolling a ball in the fairway or moving balls out of divot holes. Learning how to handle the situation will benefit you in the long run.

Brian Kuehn

I don't really care what others do. I never hit the range before playing a round, unless it's a work tournament or something where I have to hang around and wait for my tee time and even then I'll typically just bum a few balls from a buddy's bucket or do some chipping at the practice green. Hitting a bucket of balls before playing just gets me too inside my head and I'll probably suffer for it. I'd rather just grip it and rip it on the first tee and then go find it and continue on my merry way. I suppose I'm more ok with the concept of a breakfast ball (first shot on first tee only) than a take it whenever you want mulligan but really, what's wrong with just hitting your first shot and living with it?

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Note: This thread is 3881 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!