IGNORED

What Constitutes Finding Your Ball

Golfingdad
Note: This thread is 3924 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

As far as I know (and I acknowledge I may be wrong), seeing a ball, and identifying YOUR ball, are two different things. If I know I'm in better shape with my provisional, I won't even look unless it's a competitive round and my douchebag opponent goes and looks for it. lol

So I take it you didn't read my original question in this thread, and the subsequent replies?? ;). If you see a ball that you suspect could be yours, you don't get the choice. You must identify it.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

So I take it you didn't read my original question in this thread, and the subsequent replies?? ;). If you see a ball that you suspect could be yours, you don't get the choice. You must identify it.

Ah, good to know. I did, but my brain isn't working right now. Haha.

Fortunately my OB hits are so bad, you'd need binoculars and x-ray vision to even get a glimpse...

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Originally Posted by Slice of Life

I would just not "identify" it, and then after I holed out, go see if it was my ball and grab it if it was.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Ahh, if only that was an option.  Yesterday I pull hooked my drive hard enough that I suspected it was OB and hit a provisional.  The second one was a perfect shot, leaving me right at the 200 yard marker for my 4th shot on a short par 5.  A chance at still saving par (albeit remote, but still a chance), a likely bogey, and at worse, a 7.  Obviously, it's worth a look to see if my first one was playable, because, who knows, maybe I got a good break.  Well, as soon as I got over the little hump and could see down near the fence, I wish I'd never gone over there.  I could see my original, plain as day sitting about 10" shy of the chain link fence that defines the boundary.  Sadly, though, I couldn't unsee the ball, and I was required to go identify it.  Add in a stupid decision to try and play it instead of taking an unplayable from the fence, and I ended up with an 8 on the hole.  But I learned a lesson yesterday.  Take your time and think things through first.  I was unable to advance the ball forward because there was a tree root in the way (not to mention I would have had to try and play it left handed).  So my options were to take an unplayable and move away from the fence, or take a goofy short hack at it to try and hit it backwards and away from the fence.  Like an idiot, I chose the latter.

If I'm not playing by the rules, I'm not learning little lessons like this until I'm doing it in a tournament.  I'd rather get this stupid stuff out of the way when it doesn't count. :)

As far as I know (and I acknowledge I may be wrong), seeing a ball, and identifying YOUR ball, are two different things. If I know I'm in better shape with my provisional, I won't even look unless it's a competitive round and my douchebag opponent goes and looks for it. lol

If a ball is found it in the area where yours is thought to be, you are required to examine it and identify it if it is your ball.  No choice unless you have already performed one of the acts which makes it a lost ball.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I would just not "identify" it, and then after I holed out, go see if it was my ball and grab it if it was.

The player is obligated to attempt to identify a found ball. A related decision says:

27/13

Refusal to Identify Ball

Q. A player purposely refuses to identify a ball as his. What can the opponent or a fellow-competitor do in such a case?

A. An opponent or fellow-competitor has the right to be satisfied about the identification of a player's ball.

If a player has dishonestly not identified his ball, the opponent or fellow-competitor may refer the dispute to the Committee (Rule 34-3 ). In such a case, the Committee would be justified in imposing a penalty of disqualification under Rule 33-7 .

"Age improves with wine."

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Wishon 755pc 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i & 9i
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

Yeah, I got it guys.

Anyone else wanna post about how I was wrong? lol

Ryan M

Yeah, I got it guys.

Anyone else wanna post about how I was wrong? lol

Who cares, just waiting for the last season of Dexter to come on in 30 minutes.  I know you are too.  Oops, you live in Ohio so you have already seen it. No spoiling.

Originally Posted by SCfanatic35

Who cares, just waiting for the last season of Dexter to come on in 30 minutes.  I know you are too.

Last season? Meh...been there, done that.

New episode was pretty good today. Ended with a good "Oh Snap!" moment.

Ryan M

Originally Posted by turtleback

If a ball is found you do not have the option of not identifying it until after you hit your shot.

Anybody else care to chime in on this? lol

Ryan M

Note: This thread is 3924 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!