IGNORED

Question about walking the course

jimmer1609
Note: This thread is 3946 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by MS256

I can, and have, several times. Any "variables" have nothing to do with whether playing in a cart is faster or not. A person walking can take forever to play and so can a person in a cart. Neither of those has anything to do with which is the faster method of play.

All "variables" aside it's no contest.

You really didn't understand the variables I was talking about. There are more factors that can come into play with a cart, that you don't deal with when walking. Mostly it depends on the course design.

Regardless, Kletus is right. The rest of this is kind of off-topic, his post nails the point of the OP.

I've always walked. It's nice to get a little extra exercise while golfing. Also gives you a chance to enjoy one of the best parts about golf, the fact that it's played in nature. Doesn't mean you should stop and smell the roses every 10 feet, but enjoying the nature that no other sport in the world is apart of like golf is a great idea.

As far as speed goes, I wouldn't worry about it. As long as your putting decent numbers I doubt anyone would think you're playing slow, cart or no cart.

I was a die-hard walker for many years and paired up as a single with riders many times.   At times...I got a negative vibe on the first tee.   I felt it....the......" oh great, we got paired with a walker" vibe...... It didn't take them long to figure out I was a "player". The negative vibe wore off quick...  it didn't take them long to figure out I wouldn't hold them up.

Now I am one of the riders, and I have no problem pairing up with walkers providing they move along.  Not all walkers are created equal.  Where I play, most walkers are serious golfers because carts are included......

Walkers at my course can golf their ball............

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Smh....another thread where there are players claiming walking is faster than a cart! So ridiculous. The only way this is possible is if the course is 'cart path only' for one reason or another.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Give me an empty course, and I can walk 18 holes in 3hrs flat without rushing.......................providing there aren't huge distances from the green to the next tee.

I promise you, this is much faster than most 2/3-somes can play 18 holes in a cart.  As a walker, I was usually the fastest player in the group.   When I was a walker.....I generalized most riders and shitty-slow golfers.   I figured if they didn't sukkAZZ at golf, they'd walk.   Now I ride so I have to allow for a few exceptions because I know what is possible.  ............for real players.

.......the same rider who says walkers are slow, probably can't comprehend playing 18 holes in 3hrs or less with his weekend group.  IMO...in reality, the riders are the slow golfers.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut

Give me an empty course, and I can walk 18 holes in 3hrs flat without rushing.......................providing there aren't huge distances from the green to the next tee.

That's impressive. Do you use a push cart or carry your bag? I walked 9 yesterday (carrying) in just under two hours on a short course. No one was behind or in front so it was nice.

At one of the courses I play, there are a few short cuts that can/should not be taken with a cart. It's slower to walk but I've been held up plenty of times by riders.

Jon

I walked 18 in the rain yesterday, course rules, pretty hilly course(200 foot elevation change on 18). I saw some things I normally don't see when riding, like the whole fairway that slopes left for drainage,etc...It took about 5 hours with two 15 minute shelter breaks during downpours(so 4-1/2 hours). I could not catch the walkers ahead of me and nobody caught up with me. When I rode the course, 2 months ago, it took 3-1/2 hours...and everyone was riding.

200 foot elevation change?? Are you serious? That's a 20 story building... I've never heard of a drop of a hill like that on a course... (except for that one they helicopter you to)

Colin P.

Originally Posted by colin007

200 foot elevation change?? Are you serious? That's a 20 story building... I've never heard of a drop of a hill like that on a course... (except for that one they helicopter you to)

I've seen one course (ultra exclusive, private course called Sanctuary) with a hole that has a 187 foot drop from the tee to the fairway.  The fairway looks like a tiny green ribbon, and it gives a tee shot a frighteningly long time to stray as the ball drops out of orbit.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Originally Posted by colin007

I'm not sure this one (Hole 6) at Canyon Ridge near here has the most drop from tee to green but it certainly has the most obvious. The first shot has to be a lay up of about 200 yards or it will go off of the cliff (and lost).

http://www.canyonridgegolf.com/course/

Since I'm not sure how many feet above the edge of the 150 foot cliff the tee box is I don't know the overall drop from tee to green but I would think it is at least fairly close to 200 feet in all.

I can think of 4 holes around here that might (or might not) have more elevation change than that one but they are more gradual and harder to judge how many feet the change is.

Note: This thread is 3946 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!