IGNORED

newbie question

juce77
Note: This thread is 3944 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello everyone,

Ive been wanting to learn golf for a few years,and i am in a position now that i have more time,im going to get me a set of clubs and try.

the question i have is it best to have 4-5 lessons first then go onto the range?

and how long should i stay on the range for,untill i can go onto a course?

cheers

Go to the range whenever.  You don't have to have lessons to hack at some balls.  The lessons will only help you.  Take them when  you want.  Go on the course whenever you feel comfortable.  If you're not too confident try finding a lower rated course and give it a try.  You'll get bored only hitting the range time after time.

After only 1 lesson, you definitely need to go to the range.  There is no reason to go to the second lesson unless you have practiced the stuff for the first lesson.

Some of the proper mechanics can take a while to ingrain into your swing.  I have had a few lessons and they usually want me to come back the next week.  But it takes me a while to get competency in each move.  I just get the lessons once in a while.

After some range time, you might benefit from a par 3 course or an executive.

Originally Posted by juce77

Hello everyone,

Ive been wanting to learn golf for a few years,and i am in a position now that i have more time,im going to get me a set of clubs and try.

the question i have is it best to have 4-5 lessons first then go onto the range?

cheers

There's no general concept of time that would be required to put in practice before hitting the course. You are ready for the course when you feel that you are comfortable playing in an environment where you can reasonably control your ball and feel like you could enjoy yourself.

Search the forums here to make sure that your practice is constructive and worth the time and effort first though. You definitely do not want to be smacking 200-300 balls per week without learning anything.

These were the criteria my son had to prove to me he could do before I would allow him on the golf course.

1.  Had to be able to hit irons off grass and get the ball airborn.

2.  Had to be able to hit a wood off a tee and get it airborn.

3.  Had to be able to putt the ball decently and for the most part get 20 footers down in no more than 3 strokes.

With quite a bit of range time, he accompished this in about a month.

Nothing worse to me than seeing someone on the course who simply cannot hit the ball in the air and are skulling every shot they hit.

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

I would definitely wait to go to a real course until you can put the ball in the air and hit it straight(ish) a good portion of time.

I have always been a fan of golf but I never played until about three months ago during spring semester. I started by watching youtube videos on how to properly hit the ball for short game, irons, driving, etc and took many practice swings.  I then went to the range maybe 2 or 3 times practicing those techniques before taking it to a real course.

Once you play on a real course though it's hard to go back to hitting at the range.  Maybe that's just me and my ridiculous competitive personality always trying to shoot better scores.

Originally Posted by Meltdwhiskey

... After only 1 lesson, you definitely need to go to the range.  There is no reason to go to the second lesson unless you have practiced the stuff for the first lesson.

Call a local golf course or practice range about golf clinics . At clinics, beginners get together for group lessons one or two nights a week.

Clinics often don't cost a lot, as the courses are trying to attract new golfers. Some clinics will lend you clubs if you don't have any.

During the clinic, you can talk to the pros about finding golf clubs, and getting a basic static fitting for them. (Don't buy golf clubs unless you get to test them out.)

Originally Posted by RickK

... Nothing worse to me than seeing someone on the course who simply cannot hit the ball in the air and are skulling every shot they hit.

After basic lessons, one way to start is on Par 3 courses. Here the emphasis is on scoring, as most golf shots happen inside 100 yards of the green.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just remember, it's a very difficult game and you need .to remember to have fun and be patient. Being with  people you have fun with on the course is huge and keeps the game  interesting. Good Luck!

Originally Posted by juce77

Hello everyone,

cheers

those are tough questions. If your a newbie then you shouldn't have high expectations. Just enjoy the game, try to work at getting +1 good shots. Meaning, every time you play, try to increase the number of good shots versus bad shots. Good shots is subjective, for you, good shot might be just hitting the green in regulation, or hitting a fairway, or making a good chip.

As for practice, don't just beat balls. Take your time, focus on what you want to achieve. By achieve, i mean one specific aspect of the game. Look through the Swing Thoughts thread here on the forum, great stuff on how to practice, and also what to look for in your swing, and drills you can do.

My recemendation, work on keeping your head steady and getting your weight forward at impact first. These will give you a foundation to work from later on.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

It's not an easy game, but in my opinion, once you can hit the ball 100 yards, get on the course.  You don't need a full set of clubs - in fact I'd keep it to a 3/5 wood, 5 iron, 7 iron, wedge, and putter when you start and that's it.  Your focus should be on hitting the ball solid and keeping it moving.  Get up to your ball - with so few clubs, which one to hit isn't something you need to think about - grab a club and hit it.  Once you take 6 shots, just pick it up and put it on the green and putt.

Do not think about swing mechanics, or any of that BS, just think "hit the ball solid."

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

Note: This thread is 3944 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!