IGNORED

What tough shot do you love?

Lash
Note: This thread is 3936 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The thread about the shot you hate got me to thinking about this.

Most people hate a short shot over a bunker with the pin near to you. I love this shot, for some reason I am better at flopping than chipping and can typically hit it up over the bunker and land close to the pin.

Likewise, I think most people dread a shot with a tree limb or other obstruction above you where you have to hit a low trajectory shot, but I enjoy them. I'm not particularly great at them, I will hit it thin about half the time and shoot it way longer than I meant to, but something about trying to change my shot and hit an iron back in my stance and keeping the ball low just excites me, and I enjoy it despite knowing what may be about to happen.

So, what is the shot that most people hate, that you actually enjoy trying to pull off?

Not sure if it qualifies as a "tough shot" if you enjoy it, but I love bunker shots.  Greenside or fairway, it doesn't matter.  I tend to play them pretty well and get a lot of satisfaction from doing so.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Any shot where I have to use a club in a way in which it wasn't originally intended to be used.  Using a driver from the deck is a fun shot, especially when it's windy or I have to keep the ball low.  I've even used a driver to "chip" a shot from 30 feet off the green, when I had to chip under a branch which was only about 6 inches above the ground.  I also like flopping my 56° over trees which intervene between my ball and the green.  Both types of shots tend to amaze and astound my playing companions.

I sort of have to like obstructed shots, since I'm confronted with them so often.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

The ol' trap draw. Actually any punch shot.

I also like short irons/wedges out of old divots. I always seem to catch them solid.

Tyler Martin

30-50 yard flop shot when the green is blocked by a tree. I have so much confidence in these so its not exactly "tough" for me but it seems to wow the people I play with.

Fairway bunker for one.  the other is a very hard fade to get out of trouble or on to a green from a blocked lie.  I have been successful with this one a lot this year. The low punch draw is a fun one too.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Low punch shots especially on tree-lined fairways. Had some success in getting the ball back in play or even approaches for a GIR.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

• Administrator

A short iron from a divot ranks pretty highly.

As does a swooping hook from out of trouble and onto the green.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I like hitting a 3w or Driver punch from out of thick trees on a hard pan or rocky or root filled surface.  Picking a reasonable path through the trunks and a hook or cut path.  I aim at a tree trunk because I know I won't hit what I am aiming at then I take a short backswing and hit it hard and low with a very low follow through.  I punch out of there and get a good recovery distance for an up and down.  I have several holes that the shot is in play and I love it, especially after a 150 yard drive in to trouble.  Pisses off the playing partners who thought I was dead.

Terraced green: Putt to lower tier. Often I will hit a putting stroke with a 7-iron, the ball will check right at the top edge, and trickle down to the cup. A putter shot would have too much momentum, and likely run well past the cup.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Flop shots over stuff. For some reason that really gets me.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

A tap in putt!

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

Any time I'm able to hit the ball insanely high, especially if there's a ton of room to draw it. I naturally hit the ball with a high draw so it gives me the chance to completely cut loose. Plus, playing the ball forward in my stance seems to give me the best contact. I am decent at hitting fades but I don't always locate them as well and don't hit them full, making them more useful off the tee.

I also have a very high success rate hitting my 3w off the deck. It's not a shot I have often, but I never practice with it off a tee to increase the difficulty. As a result, I feel very confident from around 260-280 from the fairway or rough. That's good, since most of the time I'm at that range is the result of a mishit tee shot.

Finally, getting up and down with my new lob wedge. I still can't putt but the first part is going fantastic. I had a lousy ball striking day this week but still got 9 of 11 inside 10 feet for a par putt. Still beat my previous best on that course by 5 shots.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Originally Posted by LuciusWooding

Any time I'm able to hit the ball insanely high, especially if there's a ton of room to draw it. I naturally hit the ball with a high draw so it gives me the chance to completely cut loose. Plus, playing the ball forward in my stance seems to give me the best contact. I am decent at hitting fades but I don't always locate them as well and don't hit them full, making them more useful off the tee.

I also have a very high success rate hitting my 3w off the deck. It's not a shot I have often, but I never practice with it off a tee to increase the difficulty. As a result, I feel very confident from around 260-280 from the fairway or rough. That's good, since most of the time I'm at that range is the result of a mishit tee shot.

Finally, getting up and down with my new lob wedge. I still can't putt but the first part is going fantastic. I had a lousy ball striking day this week but still got 9 of 11 inside 10 feet for a par putt. Still beat my previous best on that course by 5 shots.

You hit your 3 wood 280 off the fairway?

• Upvote 1

Any good shots I hit with my Wilson Staff FG-17 1 iron or my Joe Powell persimmon driver and 3 wood. I am not "good enough" to play this stuff, but when I pure one (a blind hog occasionally finds an acorn) it is great.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Low Punch draw under a tree from about 120-175 yards out. It seems like I'm about 50% likely to get my next shot to a "puttable" distance.

I can't hit a punch "cut" to save my life, but the draw shot seems to work almost every time.

None, I like the shots from the fairway. I will say that high pitch down hill that you need to land on the fringe in order to roll right onto the green is really satisfying.

Note: This thread is 3936 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!