IGNORED

Putting Out or "Gimme Some Lovin'"

dfreuter415
Note: This thread is 3921 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't take or give gimmes.  The stroke is just as important as the 150 yard approach to the green.  Besides I like sinking a 2 foot par putt.  That's what the game is all about.

I've had random playing partners putt a ball back to me and say it's good before.  Unless it's sitting on the lip I'll just politely replace it and finish the hole with a smile and do it politely.  That snuffs the problem and they understand that I putt it out, and they don't bother with "that's good" any more as if they're the USGA director.  Of course there are a lot of ways to do this, nicely or like a douche.  I say something like "Gotta get my practice in" and smile when finishing.  If one were to do this with a deadpan expression and remain silent it would be very awkward. Lol.

Who wants to hit the ball towards the hole but never put the ball into the hole?  Is there no satisfaction in burying the ball and grabbing it out of the hole???

• Upvote 1

Gimme's really should only come into play when you're playing with buddies and there is something on the line - if an opponent gives you a putt, always sweep it away, don't even hit it.  Obviously this doesn't apply to tournament play and if you're playing by yourself, do what you want - I always putt out, unless it's on the lip or something.

If I'm conceded a putt, I'll usually sweep it away and then when the hole is completed by everyone, I'll often just drop a ball on the spot I picked it up and tap it in.

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

I really prefer to putt out, and I think it's irritating when someone I am playing with takes a gimme that I know they could miss. It's strange to me how common gimmes are.

However, if I'm playing with a group of friends and I'll have to get in their way or delay them from putting and I'm within a foot I'll take a gimme just to keep the pace going and not be rude to them.

Funny thing is, my dad just started playing last year and he will hit 2 or 3 off the tee box at least 3 or 4 times a round...but he putts everything out. He doesn't take extra shots to try and help his score, he just really enjoys driving and hates to play a hole after hitting one in the woods. But he loves hearing the ball in the cup, so he'll putt out from 3" just to hear the ball drop.

The only time I'll not putt out is when I'm playing with someone who I don't know well, and they knock what they see as a "gimme" back to me.  I don't believe in making waves in that situation in a casual round, but I will try to work it into the conversation before it happens again.  It's not the end of the world, and I'd rather accept the gift than make them uncomfortable playing with me.  My regular playing companions know better.

I really should adopt this rule. I had an awkward moment a few years ago when I said "no, it isn't" and put the ball back. On one hand, it was something like four feet and breaking, so it definitely wasn't a gimme (IIRC, I missed the putt, too). I don't concede putts to myself and I practice the short ones anyway.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

We play inside 3 feet is good IF it isn't a par or better putt.  All par / Birdie's must clink the bottom of the cup.

This means that if you are putting for bogey or worse, you can take pick it up inside of 3'.  I generally establish this in the early portion of the round that it is how I play.

I believe that this speeds up pace of play on the greens.

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

Any player in my group who is over their ESC will get a putt conceded by me (within reason) to speed up play. I don't have any interest watching a guy sweat in a casual round over a 2 footer for a 9 on a par 3. Pick it up for the good of the game! While we're young already.

Now in most situations we putt out. If I lip one out and it is 3 inches from the hole and someone knocks it back, I don't get bent out of shape. I too have missed my share of 3 footers and there is nothing more satisfying than banging one in no matter what the distance.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Originally Posted by clearwaterms

We play inside 3 feet is good IF it isn't a par or better putt.  All par / Birdie's must clink the bottom of the cup.

This means that if you are putting for bogey or worse, you can take pick it up inside of 3'.  I generally establish this in the early portion of the round that it is how I play.

I believe that this speeds up pace of play on the greens.

This is how my buddies and I play as well, everything that is for par or better must be putt no matter what.  We usually will putt everything else anyway, but if it looks like a gimmie (inside a foot or 2) and is in someone else's way or if it someone's "blow up" hole it will be swept away for the good of the round (pace and morale).

No gimmes, putt everything out.  There is no such thing as a "gimme" every putt has a chance of being missed.  Putting out does not slow down play either.  For cripes sake if it is a "gimme" you should be able to walk up and tap it in within 5 seconds.

Haven't read through the thread but I putt everything out for the simple reason that I love the sound of a putt dropping into the cup. Besides, a lot of pain and drama went into getting it close enough to putt it in.

• Upvote 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I putt until the ball is in the hole, even the very short ones, and I don't just randomly swipe at it. I've seen so many missed short putts over the years. I even practice it. Last thing I want to do is miss a gimme when something important it on the line, personal best score, tournament or casual match etc.

Dave :-)

Putt it out, I never take the gimme, just for the sure practice.

Even when I am at the range I will putt out every ball no matter how close it is.

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

• Administrator

I'm going to go ahead and guess that even the hard-core "no gimmes" people take gimmes now and then. You're not going to miss a two-inch putt, and it'd be awkward to tap it in, so you scoop it up and move along. That doesn't register as a "gimme" because it was SO SHORT you could NOT have missed even if you had an epileptic fit on your downswing.

But later in the round you take a four-inch putt. And then next week you take a 3" and a 7" putt.

And it's fine. You're not going to miss those putts. I like the rules, but hell, if it's not a formal competition, I don't care if you rake your putt away.

I once played with a guy who probably didn't break 250 - literally - and that was after dropping near OB after hitting several balls out several times throughout the round - and yet he'd putt out on EVERY HOLE. I almost stabbed his hand with the flagstick because I was going to put it in the cup and he putted out and grabbed his ball out of the hole from three inches for his 16 or whatever on that hole.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

I'm going to go ahead and guess that even the hard-core "no gimmes" people take gimmes now and then. You're not going to miss a two-inch putt, and it'd be awkward to tap it in, so you scoop it up and move along. That doesn't register as a "gimme" because it was SO SHORT you could NOT have missed even if you had an epileptic fit on your downswing.

But later in the round you take a four-inch putt. And then next week you take a 3" and a 7" putt.

And it's fine. You're not going to miss those putts. I like the rules, but hell, if it's not a formal competition, I don't care if you rake your putt away.

I once played with a guy who probably didn't break 250 - literally - and that was after dropping near OB after hitting several balls out several times throughout the round - and yet he'd putt out on EVERY HOLE. I almost stabbed his hand with the flagstick because I was going to put it in the cup and he putted out and grabbed his ball out of the hole from three inches for his 16 or whatever on that hole.

That's the thing, most of the gimmie guys I play with will start the round with 4" gimmies and slowly work their way up to 18"+ gimmies over the course of the round.

I've probably picked up the occasional 2 incher but pretty rare because I do like that sound...never been stabbed in the hand by a flagstick though. :-p

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Originally Posted by iacas

Not sure about anyone else, but like I have said there is no such thing as a gimme so I don't take them.  Its not awkward to tap in a 2 inch putt.  You walk up to it and literally tap it in, hole over, pick it up and move on.  I can't believe people sweep away at all, put the the ball in the hole or your scores are meaningless.

I laugh at the above who said they take up to 3 foot "gimme."  That is longer than most putters,

• Administrator
Originally Posted by trackster

Not sure about anyone else, but like I have said there is no such thing as a gimme so I don't take them.  Its not awkward to tap in a 2 inch putt.  You walk up to it and literally tap it in, hole over, pick it up and move on.  I can't believe people sweep away at all, put the the ball in the hole or your scores are meaningless.

No they're not.

And this isn't directed at you, but to many people: apparently it's macho cool to pretend you never take a gimme putt, even if it's on the edge. I don't agree with that. When I had a handicap I posted legitimate handicap rounds that sometimes included gimmes inside of a foot.

It's easier to scoop up a ball two inches from the cup than to tap it in, bend over, and pick it up. And sometimes you don't have a choice because someone knocks your ball away.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS256 View Post
If I'm playing in a game where "gimmes" are used I'm well aware that I didn't actually have a score for the round (because any putt can be missed). I came dangerously close to missing a birdie putt of about 15 inches a couple of weeks ago even though I lined it up and went through my normal putting routine because I had to have the birdie for a chance to win. It caught some grain that I didn't expect and it jerked hard left. Went in but certainly not in the middle of the hole. Could have easily missed that putt if I had nonchalantly tried to tap it in.

You DO have a score for handicap purposes.  This would fall under the heading of an unfinished  hole, about which the Handicap Manual has this to say:

Quote:
4-1. Unfinished Holes and Conceded Strokes

A player who starts, but does not complete a hole or is conceded a stroke must record for handicap purposes the most likely score . The most likely score may not exceed the player's Equitable Stroke Control limit, defined in Section 4-3 . This most likely score should be preceded by an "X." (See Decision 4-1/1 .)

There is no limit to the number of unfinished holes a player may have in a round, provided that failure to finish is not for the purpose of handicap manipulation.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

This was a major source of contention in my regular group. When I started in the group they gave what they called "in the leather" which mean if you put you putter in the hole the ball had to be within the steel to be considered a gimme. Problem was, everyones putter length was different. Some guys had longer putters and they would get close to 2 1/2 foot putts. This got the guys with short putters riled up. We argued for months.

One idea was for everyone to put tape on the putter at a certain length so everyone was the same. The argument we then had was in the time you were measuring you could have holed that short putt. So why not just hole it.

So now we hole everything out. No gimmes. I find that I miss a short one about once every 6-8 rounds. Usually not paying attention.

Michael

Originally Posted by turtleback

You DO have a score for handicap purposes.  This would fall under the heading of an unfinished  hole, about which the Handicap Manual has this to say:

No. As a matter of fact I DON'T have a score for handicap purposes because I don't have a handicap. The only reason I have the <7 listed as a handicap is that I was informed that the site requires an estimate if we don't have a handicap.

Note: This thread is 3921 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!