IGNORED

No roll on my new driver

Note: This thread is 3916 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have been playing the last three or four months with a hand-me-down "walter hogan" driver that my friends on our university's golf team have laughed at every time I have played with them.  I bought a new Rocketballz 10.5 non tour driver on saturday and got to play with it for the first time today.

It definitely carries about 30-40 yards further than my old driver, but it seems to just hit the fairway and die, sometimes only with one small bounce.  So I did an experiment and hit my new driver first and carried it about 290 where it died; and then hit my old driver which carried 250 and then rolled up to 280.  At first I thought it might be how high I hit the balls but I actually hit the old club higher than the new one.

So my question is: what factors go into how much a ball is going to roll, and how can I improve that?  Carrying 290-300 is a huge improvement, but with 20 or 30 yards of roll that would help so much.

So you want us to know that you carry the ball 290-300. Great. And your user name is offensive.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by Shorty

And your user name is offensive.

Probably why he is all punch and no roll.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by sealpuncher

I have been playing the last three or four months with a hand-me-down "walter hogan" driver that my friends on our university's golf team have laughed at every time I have played with them.  I bought a new Rocketballz 10.5 non tour driver on saturday and got to play with it for the first time today.

It definitely carries about 30-40 yards further than my old driver, but it seems to just hit the fairway and die, sometimes only with one small bounce.  So I did an experiment and hit my new driver first and carried it about 290 where it died; and then hit my old driver which carried 250 and then rolled up to 280.  At first I thought it might be how high I hit the balls but I actually hit the old club higher than the new one.

So my question is: what factors go into how much a ball is going to roll, and how can I improve that?  Carrying 290-300 is a huge improvement, but with 20 or 30 yards of roll that would help so much.

So you have a knock-off of an off-brand driver? Who the hell bothers to make that? Did it come with a free bowl of soup?

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

So you have a knock-off of an off-brand driver? Who the hell bothers to make that? Did it come with a free bowl of soup?

Think how sweet it would be to have a knock off "Hammer"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd like to see what Gilbergs uncle could do with one of those.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

It must be a Walter Hagen ... that is Dick's Store Brand.

Moral of the story:

Dicks get no roll.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

Dicks get no roll.

No the Hagen got roll. It's his new 290-yard carry driver that gets no roll.

OP: you get 10 yards more total distance. Screw roll.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Same driver here, but mine is set to 8 degrees, so I get a little roll. Not much, maybe 10 yards if it's a dry day.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

I'm not understanding this thread.  Congratulations on carrying 290 with your driver, that makes you elite.  Now figure out how to play the rest of the shots and get that HCP down!!

Originally Posted by TJBam

I'm not understanding this thread.  Congratulations on carrying 290 with your driver, that makes you elite.  Now figure out how to play the rest of the shots and get that HCP down!!

I think his concern is that if he can carry it 290, he should be easily getting 300+, which isn't necessarily the case...

Ryan M

Originally Posted by iacas

No the Hagen got roll. It's his new 290-yard carry driver that gets no roll.

OP: you get 10 yards more total distance. Screw roll.

I stand corrected ... again.

Never let the facts get in the way ...

Scratch that....

One might say in the age of high launch and low spin, less roll is expected. But if it's 290 and a fairway, I'd be liking that driver.

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

I stand corrected ... again.

Never let the facts get in the way ...

Scratch that....

One might say in the age of high launch and low spin, less roll is expected. But if it's 290 and a fairway, I'd be liking that driver.

Yep. For me, the 290 isn't always a problem...the fairway? That's a whole other story. It seems like every time I kill my driver, it's either a straight pull, or a slight push fade...neither of which are within 10 yards of the fairway.

Ryan M

Originally Posted by Slice of Life

Same driver here, but mine is set to 8 degrees, so I get a little roll. Not much, maybe 10 yards if it's a dry day.

Ok so it's more of just a difference between the drivers themselves.  Thanks for actually answering the question.

Originally Posted by sealpuncher

Ok so it's more of just a difference between the drivers themselves.  Thanks for actually answering the question.

Not necessarily. I'm no expert, but from what I understand, there are a lot of factors in roll out, carry, and whatnot. Loft, angle of attack, swing speed, ball flight....it's not just one thing that can pinpoint it. Watch the PGA...plenty of times they bomb a drive and it takes one little bounce and dies.

Ryan M

Originally Posted by Shorty

So you want us to know that you carry the ball 290-300.

Great.

And your user name is offensive.

Yeah I was going to just PM you how far I can drive but I decided to make a thread for that purpose.  I'm going to play tonight I'll just PM you my stats for the round and all drive distances.

Swell.

And your user name is shorty.

Note: This thread is 3916 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!