IGNORED

Bomb Tech Grenade Driver

Note: This thread is 3433 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

First here is the image from the site.  Basically showing the club generates faster ball speeds with more spin.

Yea they are a bit overreaching with their roll out. Even under flightschope with there "Hard" ground conditions, i am only getting 289 as the farthest. Carry is pretty close.  No way your getting 30 yards of roll with 3000 rpm. I can sometimes get 30 yards of roll when its august in Ohio and I hit one that is 2100 rpm, and my ball speed is faster than 159. The carry is about spot on though. So, I would just pay attention to that number.

Yea, its a bit too spiny for me. I hit the 913 D3 and I spun it about 2700 rpm on average. So I'll probably get the Grenade up near 3500 rpm. I would need to just buy the head and get it reshafted with a very low spin, low torque, low launch shaft.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yea they are a bit overreaching with their roll out. Even under flightschope with there "Hard" ground conditions, i am only getting 289 as the farthest. Carry is pretty close.  No way your getting 30 yards of roll with 3000 rpm. I can sometimes get 30 yards of roll when its august in Ohio and I hit one that is 2100 rpm, and my ball speed is faster than 159. The carry is about spot on though. So, I would just pay attention to that number.

Yea, its a bit too spiny for me. I hit the 913 D3 and I spun it about 2700 rpm on average. So I'll probably get the Grenade up near 3500 rpm. I would need to just buy the head and get it reshafted with a very low spin, low torque, low launch shaft.

I agree.  I was thinking maybe 20 yards max with that spin rate for roll out.  Still, if I can hit it higher with more carry and get about the same distance, I am all about that.  You swing much faster that I do, so while you may spin it too much, I spin drivers less than most around my speed so maybe that is one reason why it is working so far for me in moving to a more spiny driver.  I believe they are also in the process of offering a lower launching shaft with less spin as well from what I have seen if they have not done so already.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

I agree.  I was thinking maybe 20 yards max with that spin rate for roll out.  Still, if I can hit it higher with more carry and get about the same distance, I am all about that.  You swing much faster that I do, so while you may spin it too much, I spin drivers less than most around my speed so maybe that is one reason why it is working so far for me in moving to a more spiny driver.  I believe they are also in the process of offering a lower launching shaft with less spin as well from what I have seen if they have not done so already.

Yep pretty much. Want to really get as much carry as possible. Though I will say that I rather get as much carry as possible with as least spin as possible. Just skirting that line, so when the summer does hit, I am not hindering my distance, well also in spring. It sucks in spring when you hit a drive with 3500 rpm, and you back it up 1-2 yards in the fairway :-P

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Hey guys. I'll try and answer what I can. First let me say that the head to head chart on our website was generated by an independent golf blog, Golfballed. They are like thesandtrap but not as awesome.. Obviously.. Haha What the Grenade does well is higher ball speeds and mis hit management. The spin on the chart can be taken into account because the tester was swinging our stiff flex, which spins more than our X. The tester used X on some of the drivers and stiff on others. But we are happy with the results because the test shows what we typically expect high ball speeds and tight dispersion. I personally build each driver. 44.5 is a very common length. And for those I hand select slightly heavier heads to achieve a good swing weight. The Grenade head is low spin but are shafts are not. The goal is to get max carry with the combo and keep it in play. Our production process (2 piece plasma weld) is one of our keys... What else did I miss?? Thanks! Sully

Thanks Sully!  That pretty much confirms what I was thinking and have noticed so far.  More forgiveness, higher launch, faster ball speeds and better carry with the @BombTechGolf Grenade.

One more question.  A couple of us have cut down our shafts a bit...maybe we should not have done that.  I ordered the 45.5" shaft and cut it to 44.75.  Would you recommend adding any weight to the head since I did that? Thanks for sharing that about the head weights as well!

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

Thanks Sully!  That pretty much confirms what I was thinking and have noticed so far.  More forgiveness, higher launch, faster ball speeds and better carry with the @BombTechGolf Grenade.

One more question.  A couple of us have cut down our shafts a bit...maybe we should not have done that.  I ordered the 45.5" shaft and cut it to 44.75.  Would you recommend adding any weight to the head since I did that? Thanks for sharing that about the head weights as well!

Cipher,

Glad to hear those results!

Cutting it down to that length will still keep you in a great range for swing weight. Our club heads are NOT ultra light and weigh around 200 grams. This allows you to go shorter with no issues.  The tour weighted head is one of the reasons for the distance...When you can swing something heavier at  the same speed at something light...it means more distance..just simple physics..Simple haha.

Hope this helps.

Cipher,

Glad to hear those results!

Cutting it down to that length will still keep you in a great range for swing weight. Our club heads are NOT ultra light and weigh around 200 grams. This allows you to go shorter with no issues.  The tour weighted head is one of the reasons for the distance...When you can swing something heavier at  the same speed at something light...it means more distance..just simple physics..Simple haha.

Hope this helps.

Great!  Thanks!  Now we just need some snow to melt around here.

• Upvote 1

Nate

@billchao have you heard anything on the swing weight issue as well with varying shaft lengths?

Sully called me today. What he said on the phone is basically what he said here:

I personally build each driver. 44.5 is a very common length. And for those I hand select slightly heavier heads to achieve a good swing weight.

I will add a few things he mentioned as well.

First, he mentioned that there are problems with some simulators having difficulty picking up the club, which may or may not have factored into how poorly I hit the club at the store.

The other thing he mentioned was that the shaft they use has been known to be stiffer than other manufacturer's shafts. He said he tests them individually to make sure that they are true. He said that they have had to refit people into regular shafts before. Maybe that's the case for me? I've always played stiff shafts, but I'm no expert on these matters, so that's an avenue I may pursue.

Lastly, he said that the trial period for the club is usually 30 days, but since I bought it in the dead of winter and I've never been able to actually hit it outside, he's willing to extend it another month so that I can really give the club a shot. Thanks, @BombTechGolf , I really appreciate it. Weather is supposed to be decent this weekend, so I'll have to find a range that's open and hit this thing for real.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Sully called me today. What he said on the phone is basically what he said here:

First, he mentioned that there are problems with some simulators having difficulty picking up the club, which may or may not have factored into how poorly I hit the club at the store.

The other thing he mentioned was that the shaft they use has been known to be stiffer than other manufacturer's shafts. He said he tests them individually to make sure that they are true. He said that they have had to refit people into regular shafts before. Maybe that's the case for me? I've always played stiff shafts, but I'm no expert on these matters, so that's an avenue I may pursue.

Lastly, he said that the trial period for the club is usually 30 days, but since I bought it in the dead of winter and I've never been able to actually hit it outside, he's willing to extend it another month so that I can really give the club a shot. Thanks, @BombTechGolf, I really appreciate it. Weather is supposed to be decent this weekend, so I'll have to find a range that's open and hit this thing for real.

Bill,

You got it!  Lets talk again when you get some time outside with it. I am confident that it will work for your game.  Thanks for taking time to speak with me about your first swings.

Just to comment quickly on shafts..Our shafts are measured to be within 1 cpm of the targeted flex profile.  So, all of our shafts are true, but it is sometimes tough to compare against an off the rack driver, as their tolerances are typically wider and a S could be an R for example.

Regardless, thanks for joining the team Bill.

Talk to you guys soon.

Sully

Lastly, he said that the trial period for the club is usually 30 days, but since I bought it in the dead of winter and I've never been able to actually hit it outside, he's willing to extend it another month so that I can really give the club a shot. Thanks, @BombTechGolf, I really appreciate it. Weather is supposed to be decent this weekend, so I'll have to find a range that's open and hit this thing for real.

Good to know.  I used mine at a simulator a month or so ago and the simulator did have a very hard time picking up the club and the shots.  I think I had to do about half my drives over again until they did some things to make the simulator more sensitive and adjust the lighting.   The numbers did not really make much sense in there and were not consistent, but when I took it to the range I could see the distance I was actually getting and was extremely impressed at that point.  I hope to get on a Trackman or FlightScope this spring though to verify with some more accurate numbers, but I mainly just want to take it out on the course.

Nate

Wasn't planning on buying any golf equipment this year but I bit after reading the reviews.

Dave2512,

Love to have you on the team!! #pullthepin

Sully

If you have any questions feel free to contact me direct 802 448 2094 or on the website.

Haven't had a chance to try the club due to current geographic issues, but just wanted to say I used to eat in your Dad's restaurant pretty much every weekend when we lived in MA a couple years back. Miss my Patriots Pre-Game breakfast! Good luck in the golf biz Sully.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Haven't had a chance to try the club due to current geographic issues, but just wanted to say I used to eat in your Dad's restaurant pretty much every weekend when we lived in MA a couple years back. Miss my Patriots Pre-Game breakfast! Good luck in the golf biz Sully.

Stretch,

Awesome!! They have the best breakfast in town...Thanks for the kind words.

Sully

Fingers crossed for Fri delivery, USPS says it's on time. Would sure like to hit the Grenade this weekend. Not planning on golf but I will if it shows up.

Dave :-)

Fingers crossed for Fri delivery, USPS says it's on time. Would sure like to hit the Grenade this weekend. Not planning on golf but I will if it shows up.

Sick!! Can't wait to hear how it goes. That driver looks so mean. Have you seen the review for it on My Swing Evolution (YouTube)?

Can I give some advice......PULL THE PIN!  haha... have fun and welcome to the team.

Note: This thread is 3433 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!