IGNORED

Golf in the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro

BostonBrew
Note: This thread is 3233 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just read a quick little piece on GolfDigest written by David Fay. He proposes a slight change to the format for Golf in the 2016 Olympics. Currently, I believe it's to be the standard 72-hole stroke play. David, however, suggests something slightly different. And I have to admit, I think he has a few good points.

First three days: Play the 72 holes of stroke play, with the final day consisting of 36 holes (acknowledging the importance of speed of play and stamina, Citius and Fortius). Gold, silver and bronze medals will be awarded.

Day 4: Match play for the low four individuals (18 holes), based on the stroke-play results.

Day 5: 36-hole match for the gold and silver medals, and a 36-hole consolation match for the bronze medal for the semi-final losers.

Winning one individual gold medal representing one's country is an athletic accomplishment of the highest level. Winning two individual gold medals: rarefied air.

Citius, Altius, Fortius...

Read More http://www.golfdigest.com/magazine/2013-08/david-fay-olympics-format-change#ixzz2Y0djh7Dm

So let's hear some of the thought's floating around out there? Match play a good idea? Or should they just play the standard 72-hole stroke play.

Both, the more golf, the better!

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Meh - I'm not enthused. I can (and frequently do) watch golf at least sometime during virtually every week. World class swimming, rowing and some other sports not so much. Those are the sports that I tune in the Olympics for.

I'd like to see multiple formats and team events. Anybody for long drive? I just threw that last one out there.

They have lots of medals for track and field and swimming, so I don't think its that much of a stretch to award multiple medals for golf.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'd obviously like to see as much golf as possible. And I also like the idea of 36 holes in the final day for stroke play. If the Olympics are about the best of best, surely mental and physical stamina have to come into play.

I could do without the long drive competition. Just not a fan. It's fun to watch on occasion, but I don't think we should be handing out Olympic medals for it.

The more I think about it, the more I like Fray's idea.

I am very curious to see the golf course more than anything though.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by trackster

Not sure if they are allowed to, but I would say no caddies is what I want to see.  It's the olympics you should have to do it on your own.

Ha, yeah. Do the caddies get a medal too? :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I can see all those people now, that think golf isn't a sport. They're scwerming in the seats right now.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

I don't like the idea of multiple medals for the same event. I'm a huge track and field fan; a sport in which there are very large fields that are whittled away through heats, quarter finals, and semi-finals before the medal deciding final race. The same principle should be maintained for golf (as it is for most olympic sports.) Lots and lots of qualifying golf with a small field of elites at the end vying for the medals.

Originally Posted by iacas

Ha, yeah. Do the caddies get a medal too? :)

No more than a sprinters coach would (they don't), or a hockey teams coach would (they don't), or a baseball teams coach(they don't). Last wonter Olympics, one of the players who had 2 or three previous golds, gave his to their coach. But it was not awarded by the IOC.

Anywy, no, it should be 4 days, 18 holes/day, have a cut after 36 holes, low score over 4 days wins.

Should be no more than 3 golfers per country. And absolutely no Belly/broomstick putters.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

It will be a terribly weak field - 60 qualifiers - top 15 in the world, the next 45 by world ranking as long as their country doesn't have 2 qualified already.

By my rough calculations that excludes 28 of the 35 players ranked 16 thru 50 currently, numbers unaffected by which country GMac & Rory decided to play for.

The Chevon Challenge or the Nedbank will have better fields.

Meh - I'm not enthused. I can (and frequently do) watch golf at least sometime during virtually every week. World class swimming, rowing and some other sports not so much. Those are the sports that I tune in the Olympics for.

I agree. I'm also one of the few remaining out there that HATES the thought of professionals competing in the Olympics, in any sport/event.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• Administrator
Originally Posted by ApocG10

No more than a sprinters coach would (they don't), or a hockey teams coach would (they don't), or a baseball teams coach(they don't). Last wonter Olympics, one of the players who had 2 or three previous golds, gave his to their coach. But it was not awarded by the IOC.

Surely you determined that I wasn't actually being serious, and you're just playing along here, right? :P

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by champ

I don't like the idea of multiple medals for the same event. I'm a huge track and field fan; a sport in which there are very large fields that are whittled away through heats, quarter finals, and semi-finals before the medal deciding final race. The same principle should be maintained for golf (as it is for most olympic sports.) Lots and lots of qualifying golf with a small field of elites at the end vying for the medals.

I get what you are saying, but I'm talking about multiple formats. Stroke play, match play, foursomes, four ball, etc. They're different animals, with different strategies involved. As a track and field fan, I imagine you understand what I mean.

I'm pretty sure it's just going to be a 72 hole tournament, though I think it would be much more interesting if it were match play with brackets, like tennis.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Originally Posted by David in FL

I agree. I'm also one of the few remaining out there that HATES the thought of professionals competing in the Olympics, in any sport/event.....

Yeah. I kind of wish they were using amateurs for the Olympics. But that's a losing fight. They want the best of the best and that means professionals need to be included. Especially when a lot of the best kids are turning pro before they're 20 (Jordan Spieth).

The 72-hole stroke format allows for some final day drama which is more entertaining for TV than match-play. Especially when a guy is getting his ass handed to him.

Originally Posted by iacas

Surely you determined that I wasn't actually being serious, and you're just playing along here, right? :P

Oh, I was adding to your sarcasm, while at the same time pointing out to others that they need not worry.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Note: This thread is 3233 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!