IGNORED

What are your favorite golf games?

tefunk
Note:Β This thread is 3926 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Originally Posted by SCfanatic35

That sounds interesting.Β  This gives us a way to play with 3 guys instead of the usual 4.Β  Do you allow pushes?

We have played before where the wolf couldn't push and had to have the best score to win, but usually we just play where nobody gets a point on a push.

Originally Posted by Lash

We have played before where the wolf couldn't push and had to have the best score to win, but usually we just play where nobody gets a point on a push.

We used to do it that way too.Β  We wanted to make it more challenging for someone deciding to go it alone.Β  The main reason why that we made the switch is because we have a low handicapper that plays with us and when he was the wolf if he wasn't excited about the rest of us high handicappers drives, he would usually go it alone knowing that he was at worst going to push.Β  I wish we would make it more exciting by having the wolf go last, that might make the game no fun though.

The main reason why that we made the switch is because we have a low handicapper that plays with us and when he was the wolf if he wasn't excited about the rest of us high handicappers drives, he would usually go it alone knowing that he was at worst going to push.

That's exactly why we play no pushes. I'm a pretty good golfer, probably on average 10-15 strokes better than the co-workers that I play with. If we played with pushes, I would just call wolf every time. Chances are that the best score from the rest of the group will be par or worse. On most holes, I feel like I have a pretty good chance of at least parring a hole. The odds would be heavily in my favor.

Tyler Martin

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by geauxforbroke

That's exactly why we play no pushes. I'm a pretty good golfer, probably on average 10-15 strokes better than the co-workers that I play with. If we played with pushes, I would just call wolf every time. Chances are that the best score from the rest of the group will be par or worse. On most holes, I feel like I have a pretty good chance of at least parring a hole. The odds would be heavily in my favor.

We have one group that I play with.Β  One of the guys used to play very close to scratch and his handicap now hovers around 6-8 (on a good day, he can still shoot par, but most days he is right around 80)Β  The rest of us are in general shooting in the bottom 90's.Β  We play match play, him against a best ball for the 3 of us.Β  The last time we played, I think we took 4 holes, pushed 8 and he took 6.Β  You could try playing that with your friends to give you a little more challenge.

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

My buddies and I play the normal 2v2 best ball.Β Β $20 for the winning two-some.Β  The way I look at it, you win and your round was free.Β  I like the idea of the Wolf though,Β gonnaΒ haveΒ toΒ try it out soon.

Originally Posted by BayouBomber

My buddies and I play the normal 2v2 best ball.Β Β $20 for the winning two-some.Β  The way I look at it, you win and your round was free.Β  I like the idea of the Wolf though,Β gonnaΒ haveΒ toΒ try it out soon.

Wolf is the way to go. Get a group together and head down to the University Club or up to Copper Mill and try it out.

• Upvote 1

Tyler Martin

We also play Wolf with three people a lot. However, there are a few variations from what you describe:

1. The first person to tee off is the wolf.

2. The wolf has to call "Lone Wolf" before any other players tee off.

3. If the wolf doesn't call Lone Wolf and passes on the second player, he has to take the third player, regardless of tee shot.

4. The wolf can also declare "Blind Wolf" before his own tee shot. Points are doubled for blind wolf.

The same rules work for 3 or 4 players (even more if you played in groups of 5 or 6).

Wolf is the way to go. Get a group together and head down to the University Club or up to Copper Mill and try it out.

Wolf is a great game, with the right players in your group. We came up with a variation of the game that we called "FU Wolf", that was where if the person who was Wolf elected to take player "B" after "B" hit his tee ball, "B" could then say "FU" and he would go that hole alone against the Wolf and the other 2 players.

The reason this was invented was there was 1 guy (really great guy, but not a very good golfer at all) who seemed to always pick the right partner and he would win money even though he rarely contributed to the win. So we decided to find a way to allow the player picked to take the risk of going alone.

Players play, tough players win!

Originally Posted by Wally Fairway

Wolf is a great game, with the right players in your group. We came up with a variation of the game that we called "FU Wolf", that was where if the person who was Wolf elected to take player "B" after "B" hit his tee ball, "B" could then say "FU" and he would go that hole alone against the Wolf and the other 2 players.

The reason this was invented was there was 1 guy (really great guy, but not a very good golfer at all) who seemed to always pick the right partner and he would win money even though he rarely contributed to the win. So we decided to find a way to allow the player picked to take the risk of going alone.

Do you play pushes if that wolf plays alone?Β  Because I have heard of something similar, except that the if the Wolf goes alone, he gets a stroke for the purposes of the game score.Β  The other option is that if the FU'd Wolf pushes, he wins.

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

Originally Posted by Wally Fairway

If you are Player B and are in a foursome, at most he can be the wolf 5 times and be non-wolf 13 times.Β  So how does he make money if he rarely contributes to his team?Β  Interesting idea about adding the FU part though.Β  I can see this coming into play when the wolf hits a terrible tee shot and so do Player's B and C, while Player D hits a great drive and wants to piggy back on someone else.

If you are Player B and are in a foursome, at most he can be the wolf 5 times and be non-wolf 13 times.Β  So how does he make money if he rarely contributes to his team?Β  Interesting idea about adding the FU part though.Β  I can see this coming into play when the wolf hits a terrible tee shot and so do Player's B and C, while Player D hits a great drive and wants to piggy back on someone else.

We had this happen last week. 3 of us were playing, 1 guy was typically 10-15 strokes better than me and the other guy was probably 10 strokes worse. The way it worked out, the wolf would choose to go alone a lot of the time and end up losing, so this guy would get a point by default. He was winning after the first 4 or 5 holes and then we stopped because he didn't want to win without contributing anything. We weren't playing for money though.

Originally Posted by Lash

We had this happen last week. 3 of us were playing, 1 guy was typically 10-15 strokes better than me and the other guy was probably 10 strokes worse. The way it worked out, the wolf would choose to go alone a lot of the time and end up losing, so this guy would get a point by default. He was winning after the first 4 or 5 holes and then we stopped because he didn't want to win without contributing anything. We weren't playing for money though.

Sounds like it is more an issue of the wolves not the weak player.Β  One thing we do sometimes is add up both player's scores for that hole, so they get a team total.Β  This prevents a guy from trying to do crazy shots when his partner is already safe on the green, or even picking up when he is totally out of it.Β  This way it is truly a team not just luck.

We also switch between left/right and wolf to break up the games.Β  No matter what games we play we still do greenies and fewest putts each nine.

• 2 weeks later...

For skins matches, I have played the round robin style (6-6-6) as well and enjoy that.Β  It is especially good with varying skill levels.

Have never heard of the WOLF game until now.Β  I plan to learn a little more about it, sounds like a fun game.

Thanks everyone for sharing!

We play shambles cart vs cart. Β Basically you take the best drive from all four golfers (or 2v2 teams etc) and play individual balls from that point. Β Helps speed things up and takes the frustration away from players who hit off the tee poorly.

Also in the case of a good player among average players, the 3 average players could play shambles on their 3 drives to speed things up and help them get an edge against the good player.

Originally Posted by TJBam

We play shambles cart vs cart. Β Basically you take the best drive from all four golfers (or 2v2 teams etc) and play individual balls from that point. Β Helps speed things up and takes the frustration away from players who hit off the tee poorly.

Also in the case of a good player among average players, the 3 average players could play shambles on their 3 drives to speed things up and help them get an edge against the good player.

I assume you don't post any of those scores for handicap?

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;Β  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;Β  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's; Β 56-14 F grind andΒ 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty CameronΒ Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Originally Posted by David in FL

Of course I do. Β It's golf. Β We also take 4 mulligans per side and gimmes within 6 feet (I usually make them anyways). Β Who are you to tell me how to play by the rules!

Quote:

Originally Posted by David in FL

Of course I do. Β It's golf. Β We also take 4 mulligans per side and gimmes within 6 feet (I usually make them anyways). Β Who are you to tell me how to play by the rules!

Always wanted to use that one.

Tyler Martin

Always wanted to use that one.

I also post scores from charity scramble tournaments.

I also post scores from charity scramble tournaments.

The other day the course I went to was full and had no tee times available. I know the course really well, so I just got a scorecard and went to the range and played each shot in my head as if I was on the course, then I went to the chipping green and finished up each hole. I wasn't sure if it should count towards my handicap but I ended up with the best score I've ever shot, so I went ahead and counted it.

Note:Β This thread is 3926 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!