IGNORED

One wedge for all greenside shots .....

Note: This thread is 3940 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Over about 30 yrs I have using this or that wedge system, Pelz, Utley, etc. using a 8 iron for rolling approaches and a 56* for sand, even carried two 56* sandwedges for different sand conditions, etc. Switched from 48-52-56-60 to 46-52-58 back and forth and allthough whatever system used I holed many and had many up&downs;, still after all these yrs I am into maybe the next better system ..... I like the thought of using one wedge for all greenside shots and alter the shot instead of using a whole bunch of wedges, being creative rather than being mathematical ..... I think or feel a 58* or 60* to be the most versatile for most greenside shots ( and use a 9i for the occasional "bumb and run"), but what bounce would be most adequat ? Please advise !

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

I used to do that with my 58/08 Vokey.  Loved it.

But then came the call for more wedges as I had a free space in the bag at the time.  Now have a Ping 54/12 bent to 55/13 for almost every shot around the green and a Ping 60/TS for hardpan and tucked pins.

Honestly, the 60 has gone virtually unused as I find I'm better at doing everything with 1 wedge from which you know what to expect, as a way to limit the variables so to speek.

So I might be going back to the one wedge around the green system again, and back to my beloved Vokey 58/08 that seemed to do it all back in the day.

About 80% of my greenside play is with a 56-14 simply because it has the MOST bounce out of all my wedges. I would get as MUCH bounce as you can find. Something I've learned on here is that there is no such thing as too much bounce as any shot that does not require bounce doesn't use the bounce anyway!

Hands forward = 0* of bounce regardless of the amount of bounce built into the wedge so get lots!

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I started using a single club for all green-side shots simply because I felt it made things less complicated as I was just getting back into the game after many years away.  I just switched to a 58/10 Ping Tour from the 58/12 that came with my G20 set.  I like the narrower sole for a lot of shots, and 10 seems to still be enough bounce.  My game still has a long way to go, as does the short component of it, but a 58 degree wedge will get me close to the cup from most anywhere within 50 yards or so of the green so long as I do my part.

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

I have a 52 and a 58 in the bag.  Unless I am out far enough to use the full 52, I use the 58 for every shot around the green.  I just started doing this this year and the scoring average did go down so I am sticking with it.

I have two wedges.  I have a 60/12 and a 55/14.  I mostly use the 60 around the green.  I prefer to use the 55 between 70-90 out.

Jeff

My set's pw and sw are 48 and 54 ....... so maintaining same gaps, would mean a 60 would be ideal, but I am no logica's guy ...... I prefer a club that I feel comfortable with around the green. For me 58 is about twice as easy as a 60 ...... Strange ??? I have been on the one wedge idea before, but as I see some golfers using a 60 for a long rolling chip ( not a pitch ), mine check and have less roll, so what is the secret of the low running and rolling low chip and run with a lofted wedge..... ?

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

I'm relatively new to the game -- fourth year -- and I still don't have a good sense of feel for my clubs. About two years ago, I started playing and practicing almost exclusively with a 52. I've got a 58 I use for sand and the occasional odd shot.  I *have* started to develop a sense of feel for the 52, and I kind of like using only one wedge.  (Well, ....okay..., it's really two.)

I've been reading most the thread and I almost wonder if I'm the only one that uses his 52/08 on any shot inside 80 yds? That's my club of choice greenside as well unless I'm looking for a bump and run I'll use either a 8 or 9i. I carry a 56/11 but that's really only ever used in the bunkers or really bad lies. Maybe I should try using my 56 more.....

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

My buddies laugh and say that I need a small Sunday bag for greenside.  I bring all my wedges and my putter.  Sometimes an 8 iron too.  More clubs give me that many more ways to screw up the same shot!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

You'll be more consistent if you use the same swing but use different clubs to achieve whatever shot shape you need.  Most people dont have the feel to use the same club and simply alter their swing slightly.

If you try to chip with a lob wedge, you will have to lean the shaft forward pretty far in order to take enough loft off of it and then you are basically taking all the bounce out of the equation, so you run the risk of digging the leading edge into the ground and stubbing the chip.

Im a big fan of the lob wedge.  I probably use my lob wedge as much as I use any club in my bag but its not the club for every shot around the green.  Theres something to be said for taking a long iron, setting up with the toe down and simply using a putting stroke.  The ball will fly low and will roll out, which is a much easier shot to control and be consistent with.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I used to, but don't anymore. I have a 50, 56 & 61 to choose from depending on the shot and distance I want to hit. The 50 is a matching gap wedge, that I intend to replace as the face is too hot for some of the shots I want to play with it.

I used to use just my highest lofted wedge around the greens. Then I learned my quarter and half shots with each of my wedges (47, 51, and 56) and it greatly expanded my abilities. I have yet to learn a 3/4 shot, but I have added half of a 9 or 8 to the mix; half an 8 is just about 10 yards short of a full sand wedge for me, eliminating the need for a lob wedge and covering most of my distances from the green on out to a full utility metal.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Originally Posted by saturday

I've been reading most the thread and I almost wonder if I'm the only one that uses his 52/08 on any shot inside 80 yds? That's my club of choice greenside as well unless I'm looking for a bump and run I'll use either a 8 or 9i. I carry a 56/11 but that's really only ever used in the bunkers or really bad lies. Maybe I should try using my 56 more.....

No your not the only one :)

I carry a Mizuno MP R12 in 52/7 and 58/10. Due to the sole grinds the 58/10 is perfect in the sand or fluffy thick rough or anything else I need to get under the ball (its brilliant for up hill chips).

The 52 I use for everything else. I have found I can lie this one down and by dropping my hands I can play some really effective flop shots. Last night I was practicing on our 9th hole green. On the right it drops off completely. I am 6"4 and standing at the bottom of the gully, I can only see about half way up the flag. So last night I was practicing a shot that had to travel 7 meters forward, but about 10 meters up to get it to stop. Struggled at first until I dropped my hands. Half back, smooth through....shnick and stop.

I am still experimenting with it and carry my old 60 "just in case" but havn't used it in weeks. Same swing, different hand positions are giving me awesome results from short chip and runs, flop shots, short pitch and runs and pitch and stops.

Loving it.

• Upvote 1

I really prefer to hit higher lofted clubs. I usually use my 56 degree sandwedge for 90% of my shots around the green, and i pitch almost everything as well. Its a way to use more slope of the green, i find it easier to control distance pitching that chipping.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

No your not the only one :) I carry a Mizuno MP R12 in 52/7 and 58/10. Due to the sole grinds the 58/10 is perfect in the sand or fluffy thick rough or anything else I need to get under the ball (its brilliant for up hill chips). The 52 I use for everything else. I have found I can lie this one down and by dropping my hands I can play some really effective flop shots. Last night I was practicing on our 9th hole green. On the right it drops off completely. I am 6"4 and standing at the bottom of the gully, I can only see about half way up the flag. So last night I was practicing a shot that had to travel 7 meters forward, but about 10 meters up to get it to stop. Struggled at first until I dropped my hands. Half back, smooth through....shnick and stop. I am still experimenting with it and carry my old 60 "just in case" but havn't used it in weeks. Same swing, different hand positions are giving me awesome results from short chip and runs, flop shots, short pitch and runs and pitch and stops. Loving it.

Ah, thanks. Yeah I have a similar approach with my 52. I tend to hoke down on it frequently or most shots as well.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

My current iron set has the easiest to hit SW ever. My last wedge used to never come out. So for all greenside stuff I go with the Sand for all those delicate chips and pitches. I also have a GW which is brillinat for those running chips when a flag gives me plenty of green to work with.

"Repetition is the chariot of genius"

Driver: BENROSS VX PROTO 10.5
Woods: BENROSS QUAD SPEED FAIRWAY 15"
Hybrids:BENROSS 3G 17" BENROSSV5 Escape 20"
Irons: :wilson: DEEP RED Fluid Feel  4-SW
Putter: BENROSS PURE RED
Balls: :wilsonstaff:  Ti DNA

Note: This thread is 3940 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!