IGNORED

update my rinky dink set or start over?

Note: This thread is 3912 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ive been playing for golf off and on since I was a kid in the 80s.  Started with ben hogan blades as a kid, then to my dads hand me down ping eye 2s, back in the late 90s in college. I was given a hand me down ping driver, someone gave me a cobra 3 wood, and a knock off 5 wood.  Played my great uncles T line putter from the 1960s.  Money was never the issue, I wanted to dial in my game then buy nice gear that fit me over the years.

First I upgraded my driver when the head came off in 2008 to a Ping G10.

Then upgraded my 3 wood to a Ping G15 in 2010.

Picked up a Odyssey tour design black #6 putter in 2010.

When my ping eye 2 sand wedge broke before a tournament in 2011 I bought cleveland CG15 58 and 62 degree wedges since I didnt have time to get it fixed.

So later in 2011 I bought ping i15 irons 4 through UW.

That left me with 1 club between my 3 wood and 4 iron to find.  I just found that club 2 years later on a buddies golf trip in texas. A friend let me hit his Adams Super DHy 24 degree driving hybrid. Loved it, but needed different yardage.  I went to a golf shop and tried different lofts and clubs, and just picked up my 21 degree Adams Super DHy last week and it is awesome.

I love my tour design putter, but I just ordered a Odyssey White Hot Pro DART. I need to cut my puts down from 34 average. hopefully I can knock off 3 or 4 strokes and consistently hit and break 80 with the alignment aid, and a putter built more for my swing.

Take your time with your set.  If I were you Id head to the local golf shop and try second hand clubs.

Would any of you guys consider adding a cheap hybrid to the mix at this point? What are the advantages and drawbacks of hybrids? It is my understanding they work as a replacement for some of the longer irons, if I were to add a hybrid would you still recommend trying to become efficient with the long iron ive replaced? Thanks!

Long irons are kind of becoming a thing of the past, but some people hit them well and like them to keep the ball down and out of the wind.

Depends on cheap.  Is it cheap because it is crap, or is it cheap because it is old and used.  Id rather have a good used club than new junk.

You have a basic set.  A few things you could change depending on your preference and/or game.

5 wood, could change to hybrid.

3 iron, could replace with a lob wedge (60 or so degrees). or high lofted hybrid or 7 wood.

The longer irons are more difficult to hit.

Dont make it difficult, hit the clubs you are comfortable and consistent with.  The game will come to you with practice and playing.

I love wedges.  And as a beginner it is also the easiest thing to work on. (front yard practice) You score close to the hole, not from 210 yards away.  I used to sacrifice my 210 club for an extra wedge, since I didnt have a club I could rely on (spraying and mishits with 5 woods and hybrids I tried)

Originally Posted by Sherpat

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "I have noticed yo yo III", but: no. It's doesn't mean a set is of inferior quality just because you can't buy individual clubs (and usually you can, somewhere, btw). Adams is a well respected company whose clubs are played from novice up through sponsored touring pros. If you get a set of them, you are not getting "inferior quality".

You've only been playing a few months, right? Don't over-think equipment at this point. I think you're doing the right thing by concentrating on your swing first - kudos. You gonna take lessons?

Also, if you look at the newest tight lies set you'll see that the driver, woods, and hybrids have all the newest Adams technology. The Tight lies is a nice set. I started out with something like that

Driver: :tmade: Burner '08 10.5* 3 wood: :tmade: Rocketballz 15* 3 hybrid: :tmade: Burner Superlaunch 18* 4 hybrid: :tmade: Rescue 11 21* Irons: :tmade: Burner 1.0 5-AW Wedges: :vokey: Spin Milled 54* :cleve: CG16 58* Putter: :odyssey: 2 Ball Blade Grips: Golf Pride VDR white Balls: :titleist: Velocity Bag: :tmade: Audi bag

Note: This thread is 3912 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!