• Announcements

    • iacas

      Create a Signature!   02/05/2016

      Everyone, go here and edit your signature this week: http://thesandtrap.com/settings/signature/.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MEfree

Fed Ex Cup- Jordan Spieth

0   29 votes

  1. 1. Should "Special Temporary" PGA Tour Members like Jordan Spieth be allowed to earn Fed Ex Cup points and compete in the playoffs?

    • Yes
      19
    • No
      6
    • Undecided
      4

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

86 posts in this topic

After 3 top 25s and 2 top 10s in his first 4 tournaments, Jordan Spieth had earned enough $ to become a "Special Temporary" Member of the PGA Tour in March of this year.  Since then, he has had 3 more top tens and played well enough to make the playoffs IF he was considered a Tour Member and given the points he would have earned based on his finishes.

As it stands, the only way for him to get into the playoffs is to win an event- if that happens, then he gets all of the points he would have earned retroactively and would have a legit shot at making the Tour Championships.  Going into this week (he is in 5th place at Greenbrier as I type this) Spieth has won more $ than Watney, Furyk, Huh, Poulter, Cink, Els and Duffner- those guys are in the playoffs (and some only split their time between the PGA and Euro), but Spieth, who is fully committed to the PGA Tour will likely be on the sidelines.

I think it would be in the interests of the PGA Tour to not only allow Special Temporary Members to earn Fed Ex Cup Points, but to also give playoff spots to the top 2 or 3 players from the Web.com Tour- this would make for some good Cinderella stories and help bring more attention to the Web.com Tour.

As golf fans, what do you think?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

After 3 top 25s and 2 top 10s in his first 4 tournaments, Jordan Spieth had earned enough $ to become a "Special Temporary" Member of the PGA Tour in March of this year.  Since then, he has had 3 more top tens and played well enough to make the playoffs IF he was considered a Tour Member and given the points he would have earned based on his finishes.   As it stands, the only way for him to get into the playoffs is to win an event- if that happens, then he gets all of the points he would have earned retroactively and would have a legit shot at making the Tour Championships.  Going into this week (he is in 5th place at Greenbrier as I type this) Spieth has won more $ than Watney, Furyk, Huh, Poulter, Cink, Els and Duffner- those guys are in the playoffs (and some only split their time between the PGA and Euro), but Spieth, who is fully committed to the PGA Tour will likely be on the sidelines.   I think it would be in the interests of the PGA Tour to not only allow Special Temporary Members to earn Fed Ex Cup Points, but to also give playoff spots to the top 2 or 3 players from the Web.com Tour- this would make for some good Cinderella stories and help bring more attention to the Web.com Tour. As golf fans, what do you think?

I agree. Definitely good idea about the web.com exemptions into the fed ex cup. Spieth has proven he belongs on tour and its been fun watching him do what he's done this year.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's either on the Tour or he's not.  If not then I don't see giving him anything special.  If he qualifies for the Tour then give him his card.  Otherwise he's no different from anyone else.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Fourputt

He's either on the Tour or he's not.  If not then I don't see giving him anything special.  If he qualifies for the Tour then give him his card.  Otherwise he's no different from anyone else.

According to pgatour.com he is a "PGA Tour player" and he has won enough to guarantee his full card for next year and is currently in category 34 on the all exempt Tour.  This category combines with categories 32-36 which gets reordered into category 31 several times during the year- Spieth is currently #1 in that category and most of the other guys in that category are Fed Ex eligible.  I am not saying that he alone should get something special- what I am saying is that Special Temporary Members should be Fed Ex eligible if they earn enough points.

http://www.pgatour.com/news/2013/player_exemptions.html

Each PGA TOUR player has earned a position on the priority ranking system that will be used to select tournament fields in 2013. The complete ranking system, in order of priority, is as follows:

31. Reorder Categories 32-36
Jordan Spieth
Thorbjorn Olesen
Gonzalo Fernandez-Castano
Brandt Jobe
Fred Couples
Glen Day
Nathan Green
Chris DiMarco
Matt Bettencourt
Bernhard Langer
Joe Ogilvie
Duffy Waldorf
Lee Janzen
Joe Durant
Ryuji Imada
Jose Maria Olazabal
Bart Bryant
Russ Cochran
Sandy Lyle
David Frost
Ted Purdy
Dean Wilson
Arjun Atwal
Paul Casey
NOTE: Categories 32-36 are reordered Mondays of the Masters, THE PLAYERS Championship, U.S. Open and British Open.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Tour must have a reason for such a policy.  Maybe they feel that they are protecting the players who have earned their positions by right of seniority.  I don't know, but the way I see it, it's not any of my business.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Fourputt

The Tour must have a reason for such a policy.  Maybe they feel that they are protecting the players who have earned their positions by right of seniority.  I don't know, but the way I see it, it's not any of my business.

Not my business either, but as fans we are entitled to our opinions.

I have always enjoyed seeing baseball players who started the season in the minors who ended up playing in the World Series.  Likewise, I would enjoy seeing the best golfers make the playoffs regardless of their status at the start of the season.

You are likely correct that they are trying to protect the veteran players but as a business, the PGA Tour should consider the fans opinions.  However, t he Tour is doing even more to protect the veterans with this years Q School grads getting Web.com instead of Tour membership...that is the reason I would like to see the top few Web.com guys make the playoffs because they played every bit as good as the guys who are 100-125 on Tour.

I am pretty sure that you used to be able to earn a tour card by earning as much as #125 from the previous years money list in your first 7 or 8 events (think Tiger Woods) but now earning as much as the previous #150 in 7 events gets you "Special Temporary Membership" which does not earn Fed Ex points.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by MEfree

I am pretty sure that you used to be able to earn a tour card by earning as much as #125 from the previous years money list in your first 7 or 8 events (think Tiger Woods) but now earning as much as the previous #150 in 7 events gets you "Special Temporary Membership" which does not earn Fed Ex points.

What you first described was (and still is) the Major Medical Extension, which is treated as a continuation of the previous season for injured players who weren't fit to play a full schedule the year before; it has nothing to do with non-member playing privileges. The second item is how Jordan Spieth is playing a full schedule now, albeit with conditional status that does not make him eligible for FedEx Cup points.

The only way that Spieth is getting full playing privileges this season is if he wins a tournament. I remember when Arjun Atwal won in Greensboro a few years ago as a Monday Qualifier, he wasn't eligible for the FedEx Cup playoffs starting the next week on the basis that as a non-member, he did not earn any Cup points for his victory. What I would like to see is, should Spieth win a PGA Tour event between now and the playoffs, his full total of 2013 FedEx Cup points be applied retroactively. After Tiger Woods earned full membership his rookie year (see below), all of his 1996 winnings counted in the final money list, and he played in the Tour Championship. The rules as they are now, Spieth may not have the opportunity or the time to repeat that feat.

For what it's worth, Tiger earned his tour status by winning the 1996 Las Vegas Invitational, though he earned enough money to finish above the 125th on the final money list that would have secured membership for the 1997 season. Spieth would be 53rd on the money list if he were an official member, but as it stands, he's a lock for full membership in 2014; it would make him only the seventh player to earn his PGA Tour card straight out of college while bypassing both Q-School and the Web.com Tour since the all-exempt tour began in 1983. (Like Spieth, Justin Leonard, Ryan Moore, and Bud Cauley all earned enough money through exemptions and conditional status; Tiger won in his fifth professional start, and Scott Verplank and Phil Mickelson both won tournaments as amateurs.)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Chilli Dipper

For what it's worth, Tiger earned his tour status by winning the 1996 Las Vegas Invitational, though he earned enough money to finish above the 125th on the final money list that would have secured membership for the 1997 season. Spieth would be 53rd on the money list if he were an official member, but as it stands, he's a lock for full membership in 2014; it would make him only the seventh player to earn his PGA Tour card straight out of college while bypassing both Q-School and the Web.com Tour since the all-exempt tour began in 1983. (Like Spieth, Justin Leonard, Ryan Moore, and Bud Cauley all earned enough money through exemptions and conditional status; Tiger won in his fifth professional start, and Scott Verplank and Phil Mickelson both won tournaments as amateurs.)

Spieth is shaping up to be a force on Tour being one of the few players to earn enough on the money list with sponsor's exemptions to be an exempt member of the Tour for the following year. It is a rare occurrence and as such should not be used to create a special exception so he can play in the Fed Ex Cup. As much as I would like to see him play, I don't think it would be right to let him play unless he wins this year.

As far as the Web.com guys, that seems to be interesting and could really propel a couple of deserving guys into a new level for the reasons you stated.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After 3 top 25s and 2 top 10s in his first 4 tournaments

That's really impressive.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by dsc123

That's really impressive.

Yes it is. I want to be his caddie. No minimum loops there.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by dsc123

Quote:

After 3 top 25s and 2 top 10s in his first 4 tournaments

That's really impressive.

The numbers do add up.  the 2 top 10's are also top 25's.

There is still no predicting what will happen with him.  He's still on the outside of the whirlwind that has curtailed the careers of so many promising young players.  It takes a rare kind of strength to be able to keep focused firmly on golf when the media and sponsors start clamoring for more and more of your time.  Only time will tell if he has that strength.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Chilli Dipper

it would make him only the seventh player to earn his PGA Tour card straight out of college while bypassing both Q-School and the Web.com Tour

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't he 19 years old ?     If so, he never played college golf - he's getting his card RIGHT AFTER HIGH SCHOOL !!!!    Which makes his performance even more astounding ...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't he 19 years old ?     If so, he never played college golf - he's getting his card RIGHT AFTER HIGH SCHOOL !!!!    Which makes his performance even more astounding ...

Not quite. He played for the University of Texas as a freshman (leading the Longhorns to a national championship), then turned pro last December.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Chilli Dipper

Not quite. He played for the University of Texas as a freshman (leading the Longhorns to a national championship), then turned pro last December.

OK - thx for the correction !

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Fourputt

The numbers do add up.  the 2 top 10's are also top 25's.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Chilli Dipper

What you first described was (and still is) the Major Medical Extension, which is treated as a continuation of the previous season for injured players who weren't fit to play a full schedule the year before; it has nothing to do with non-member playing privileges. The second item is how Jordan Spieth is playing a full schedule now, albeit with conditional status that does not make him eligible for FedEx Cup points.

The only way that Spieth is getting full playing privileges this season is if he wins a tournament. I remember when Arjun Atwal won in Greensboro a few years ago as a Monday Qualifier, he wasn't eligible for the FedEx Cup playoffs starting the next week on the basis that as a non-member, he did not earn any Cup points for his victory. What I would like to see is, should Spieth win a PGA Tour event between now and the playoffs, his full total of 2013 FedEx Cup points be applied retroactively. After Tiger Woods earned full membership his rookie year (see below), all of his 1996 winnings counted in the final money list, and he played in the Tour Championship. The rules as they are now, Spieth may not have the opportunity or the time to repeat that feat.

For what it's worth, Tiger earned his tour status by winning the 1996 Las Vegas Invitational, though he earned enough money to finish above the 125th on the final money list that would have secured membership for the 1997 season. Spieth would be 53rd on the money list if he were an official member, but as it stands, he's a lock for full membership in 2014; it would make him only the seventh player to earn his PGA Tour card straight out of college while bypassing both Q-School and the Web.com Tour since the all-exempt tour began in 1983. (Like Spieth, Justin Leonard, Ryan Moore, and Bud Cauley all earned enough money through exemptions and conditional status; Tiger won in his fifth professional start, and Scott Verplank and Phil Mickelson both won tournaments as amateurs.)

I like that they let Tiger play in the Tour Championship and have heard several of the announcers say that Spieth would get to count the points he would have earned retroactively with a win.  I recall Atwal winning and then getting the next 4 weeks off, so this at least is an improvement.

Fourputt was saying Spieth is either on tour or he is not- the fact of the matter is he has played in 15 events this year while guys like Tiger, Justin Rose, Adam Scott, Graeme McDowell and Rory have only played in 9 or 10...seems to me Spieth is more on tour than these guys.

I guess I just don't understand why you are left out of the playoffs if your current year results put you in the top 125 (which gives you a card for the next year, but no guarantee that you will be in next year's playoffs).  I can't think of any other sport that says that your current year results are good enough to get in the playoffs, but you are being left out because your previous results were not good enough.  Whether it is the NFL, NBA or NHL guys don't have to be on the opening day roster to be playoff eligible, so why should golfers?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't done the research but I thought I heard the reason he wasn't eligible for FedEx is because he isn't officially on the PGA Tour.  He's been getting sponsor exemptions and qualifying based on his performance but he still isn't a member of the Tour.  He's playing so much because he's getting the exemptions and he's trying to win one.  My understanding is the only way for him to qualify for this year would be to win an event otherwise he was to wait until next year to play FedEx.

NFL, NBA and NHL are totally different with their own rules for eligibility within their leagues.  He couldn't play in the NFL because he's 19.  There are probably only a few players on MLB rosters that are 19 and I think the NBA uses years of college ball and / or age as their criteria.  Plus each sport has a cut off date that a player has to be on the roster for in order to play post season.

I don't know how tennis works but that would be the closest to the PGA Tour in terms of how players qualify for Tour events.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

I think that membership should limit his opportunities to earn enough points, but if manages to earn enough despite the limited opportunities he should be allowed in.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2016 TST Partners

    GAME Golf
    PING Golf
    Golf Evolution
  • Posts

    • Finding Value in The Used Club Market
      On Craigslist around Phoenix we used to see loads of irons in the early part season because people would buy clubs they can't hit *cough* blades *cough*, or just clubs that weren't fitted or they didn't like and then sell them. That's how I got my nikes before they were stolen.   I don't buy into the new distance drivers and such, but the forgiveness is definitely a major improvement. I take my old Wooden Woods to the range every once in a while and not only do misfits cause massive distance loss, they just fly horrible as well. The new stuff is definitely helpful to worse players but if Ben hogan could drive a wooden club over 300 then why is it so impressive to driver a super forgiving driver over 300? idk, just my $0.02
    • Injury Question
      With my insurance I can't afford a MRI.  I got one for my rotator cuff a 2 years ago and my insurance only paid $80 of the bill .  I'm still paying the bill since its either pay off it quickly and struggle with my school loans or pay it off slowly and pump more money into those things I used for school.  Without an MRI, I'm not sure how much help a doctor would be able to give me.
    • How to eliminate blowup holes
      Everyone gets double bogeys. Even the pros. The pros just don't get them often.  We all have blow up holes. Mine tend to come in pairs. Then I'll settle down and hit "the shot." I consider an 8 a blow up hole. It's usually the result of a bad tee shot. Although on a real fast green once it was the result of a four putt.... in a tournament.... when I missed a 1 foot putt. Another thing we tend to do is try to do quick fixes during our rounds. Don't. They don't work. Play with the game you have. Fix your problem at the driving range later. If your driver is in the woods constantly, leave it in the bag for the round, and practice with it on the range. Hit an iron off the tee if you need to keep the ball in play. 
    • Injury Question
      Okay, so this isn't exactly something recent.  In fact its something I did in August, that seems like it just doesn't want to heal completely. The injury in question occurred on my downswing on August 7th, it felt as those I pulled every muscle from underneath my arm pit to the bottom of my ribs.  I gingerly tried a few swings after that and why it was tender I guess endorphins got me through the rest of the round (2 holes).  I probably should have taken a few weeks off to let everything heal after this, but seeing how I had lost 70lbs over the course of 4 months and would go onto lose 130+ lbs by October (mostly through golf) I was kind of blinded by the motivation to keep pushing myself.  I played with severe discomfort for a couple of weeks, and then it kind of faded though it felt tight to make a reaching movement with my left arm. Now months later, the pain is basically gone when it comes to golf, but every now and again if I do some unknown action with my swing I get what feels like popping sensation and the discomfort comes back for that swing.  The tightness when reaching never really went away either.  Most of the time it isn't a problem, its just something that occasionally bothers me and I was wondering if anyone has had something similar?  I'm currently trying to strengthen the muscles around that area to see if responds to what eventually got me over a partially torn rotator cuff.
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Images

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. onthehunt526
      onthehunt526
      (29 years old)
  • Blog Entries