IGNORED

Fed Ex Cup- Jordan Spieth

MEfree
Note: This thread is 3871 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Should "Special Temporary" PGA Tour Members like Jordan Spieth be allowed to earn Fed Ex Cup points and compete in the playoffs?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

No, no, it was. But in the back of my mind I can't shake this feeling that skill breeds confidence and confidence defeats pressure.

It can be complicated because there are still talented as hell players out there who can't handle the pressure unless they do some serious work on their mental games outside the ropes... it's like that old military mantra of "craving fear" or learning to love the fear that some guys have and some guys don't. Or maybe they just aren't born with that part of the brain? It's hard to know the answer.

So I'm not so much being argumentative as I am just having a conversation trying to gain more insight on it.

They are probably just...stupid.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by cipher

Quote:

No, no, it was. But in the back of my mind I can't shake this feeling that skill breeds confidence and confidence defeats pressure.

It can be complicated because there are still talented as hell players out there who can't handle the pressure unless they do some serious work on their mental games outside the ropes... it's like that old military mantra of "craving fear" or learning to love the fear that some guys have and some guys don't. Or maybe they just aren't born with that part of the brain? It's hard to know the answer.

So I'm not so much being argumentative as I am just having a conversation trying to gain more insight on it.

They are probably just...stupid.

Hey it works for Dustin Johnson!

Constantine

Originally Posted by Slice of Life

I think JetFan's post was a little tongue in cheek. Haha.

I know, but there was a valid point there in the post as well.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

JoRdAn sPiEtH MAdNeSs !!

Jordan grew up in the Dallas area and went to Dallas Jesuit. I know a few guys who have talked with Jordan over the years, and they describe him as a good guy with his head screwed on right. He's had good experiences in the Byron Nelson since he was 16 and even made the weekend, finishing 16th and 32nd as an Am in 2010 and 2011.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Originally Posted by inthehole

How did you guys watch the ending yesterday - it was not on the Golf Channel, ESPN or any major network ??????     I was never so frustrated at golf coverage ...

It stayed on CBS until about 7:15 at which point a 60 minutes re-run took over. Then it shifted back to Golf Channel where it took over the Web.com's Utah Championship broadcast. When the playoff went to break, instead of commercial, it went to the Utah tourney, but GC (I think) broadcast the last two playoff holes.

Yea it's a pain in the butt, but that's the system they run when a playoff runs extra long.

Haha!!!  Suck it, east coasters!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You guys can all think of us (and we you) from now on, every time you hear Nance utter the phrase "Coming up next, except on the West Coast , ..."

I was actually laughing because I took my son to the movies right after Spieth hit his approach on 18 (in regulation) into the bunker, at about 2:40.  Found out via text on the way to the movies that he holed out to tie for the lead.  Grabbed some popcorn, junior mints, and a soda, and enjoyed the hell out of Despicable Me 2 for the next 1:45 or so, went home and ... I'll be damned, they're still playing!?!?!?!  Saw the last putts drop ... and only then did I learn/realize that he's still a teenager!!  Way to go, kid!

It stayed on CBS until about 7:15 at which point a 60 minutes re-run took over. Then it shifted back to Golf Channel where it took over the Web.com's Utah Championship broadcast. When the playoff went to break, instead of commercial, it went to the Utah tourney, but GC (I think) broadcast the last two playoff holes.

Yea it's a pain in the butt, but that's the system they run when a playoff runs extra long.

When it went to the GC, they bounced back and forth between the Utah Championship and the John Deere.  Never missed a shot of the John Deere as far as I could tell.......  I was watching on a bit of a tape dely though, so if a buddy hadn't called me to whine about CBS cutting out, I wouldn't have known to switch over to the GC until it was too late.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Quote:

Originally Posted by inthehole

How did you guys watch the ending yesterday - it was not on the Golf Channel, ESPN or any major network ??????     I was never so frustrated at golf coverage ...

Quote:

Haha!!!  Suck it, east coasters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    You guys can all think of us (and we you) from now on, every time you hear Nance utter the phrase "Coming up next, except on the West Coast, ..."

I was actually laughing because I took my son to the movies right after Spieth hit his approach on 18 (in regulation) into the bunker, at about 2:40.  Found out via text on the way to the movies that he holed out to tie for the lead.  Grabbed some popcorn, junior mints, and a soda, and enjoyed the hell out of Despicable Me 2 for the next 1:45 or so, went home and ... I'll be damned, they're still playing!?!?!?!  Saw the last putts drop ... and only then did I learn/realize that he's still a teenager!!  Way to go, kid!

Actually the joke's on you because you paid $10 for junior mints!

Originally Posted by David in FL

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

When it went to the GC, they bounced back and forth between the Utah Championship and the John Deere.  Never missed a shot of the John Deere as far as I could tell.......  I was watching on a bit of a tape dely though, so if a buddy hadn't called me to whine about CBS cutting out, I wouldn't have known to switch over to the GC until it was too late.

Yea, I was scrambling to find it too as I was about 15 minutes behind until I sensed 60 Minutes would take over. So I DVR'd the golf channel just in case. But again, I was only 15 minutes behind so... not so much quick thinking as much as I've been screwed by playoffs ruining my DVR plans in the past

Constantine

I felt bad for the Canadian player.  He could have won it twice.  He needs to ditch the long putter.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Originally Posted by boogielicious

I felt bad for the Canadian player.  He could have won it twice.  He needs to ditch the long putter.

He's gonna be seeing that missed 4 footer for the win in his dreams for the rest of his life!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Originally Posted by phan52

The kid deserves it and I agree with the bolded but, unfortunately, I don't think they should change rules in mid stream. Maybe a change going forward after the season.

Frankly, I think he'll make it moot and win before the playoffs. Hes gotta figure out Sundays.

That didn't take long, did it?

Bill M

Spieth definitely made my OP moot for this year, but I still think temporary members should be able to earn points.  Without the JD result, Spieth would have 614 points instead of 1,114 and be in 61st place...give him t2 points and he would have 859 points and be in 24th.

My point is the next guy in Spieth's position might see a Zach Johnson par 18 or a David Hearn make a four foot putt to win the playoff.  Spieth played great and put himself in position to benefit from his hole out on 18 and the others misfortunes, but I think he would have deserved a spot in the Fed Ex Cup playoffs even if he had not been victorious.

Without the win, Spieth would still have 6 top 10s this year and 859 points compared to current #125 Shawn Stefani who has 310 points and 2 top 10s.  Who would you rather see in the playoffs? The PGA Tour should start allowing temporary members to earn points before the next Jordan Spieth loses in a playoff.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

• 1 month later...

If Jordan Spieth goes on to win the Fed Ex Cup (or even places in the top 10), then the biggest shot of the year will be the bunker shot that he hit the middle of the flag stick with on 18 and holed to get into the John Deere playoff.  That ball could just as easily have gone into the water and without that win, he would not be playing in the Fed Ex Cup and would not have invites to the Masters and other tournaments that he qualifies for by making the Tour Championship

• Upvote 1

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Biggest shot of the year was Tiger's third on 15 on Sunday at Augusta. 2 inches left and this entire year might have been a lot different.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Note: This thread is 3871 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!