IGNORED

Fairway Wood advice ... for a true beginner

Note: This thread is 3937 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello everyone-

I am brand new to the game of golf  ... bought my first set of irons about a month ago. I own Mizuno JPX 825 irons. Right now, considering my early experience with the sport - I hit my irons decently well. I am now looking for something I can hit off the tee (drivers and 3 woods do not work for me.) I'm interested in making a 5 wood purchase. At this time distance is not as important as accuracy and forgiveness of the club. I've done some reading online and the clubs that I am considering include: Ping G25 5 wood, Mizuno JPX 825 5 wood, and the Adams Super S 5 wood.

I've read great things about the Adams Super S - But I believe this club may be for the more experienced golf, and would have less forgiveness than the other 2 mentioned - is that correct?

Does anyone have experience playing 1 or maybe all 3 of the listed 5 woods? Any feedback?

I appreciate your insight, and feedback. I look forward to learning more and enjoying the game of golf!

You have to persevere with a driver. Try something like a Ping K15 which is incredibly forgiving. Try not to hit it too hard. You will eventually regret thinking that distance doesn't matter, and if you are hitting hybrids off tees you will suffer in the wind. Try to hit your driver 150 meters which will stop you over swinging and you'll be surprised how far you do hit it. Unles you are hitting drivers, on proper courses you will have to play very well to beak 90 because you won't be hitting par 4s in regulation. Adams super hybrids are terrific clubs and you might get one instead of a fairway wood. Good luck!

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Use Shorty's advice as a starting point.

If you have trouble getting your driver shots up into the air, you might try a 12* or high-launch driver. For fairway woods, you might start off with a 4W or a 5W; 3Ws are difficult for the average golfer to hit, much less beginners.  You might also get a single hybrid.

One thing with these long clubs: The shafts are longer, and take a split second more time to get the clubface to the ball. So, if you have a smooth, full swing, you'll get better results than if you try to kill the ball.

For this season, find a driver, FW and hybrid. Work on learning to hit them... you don't need all 14 clubs to get started playing.

As for brand of club, find one you can hit.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would not write off a driver yet. First, if you have not been getting lessons I would strongly urge you to find a pro you feel comfortable with and get some professional instruction. The money spent on this is pretty minor compared to the cost, time, and frustration of playing crappy for years, or giving the game up. You have some real nice irons. I do not know your financial position, but after some lessons, getting properly fitted for a driver that works for your swing is money well spent. And though all the ads in all the magazines tout the wonderous technology built into their driver heads, I believe that the choice of shaft is the real key to success, or failure. I am fortunate to have a Titleist Advanced Fitting Center nearby, and I love my 913's. But I believe it is the fitting and matching to the right shaft that matters most. For starters you might want to consider a Four rather than a Five. Club mix is a very personal thing, but I am quite happy with one fairway, two hybrids and four wedges. However, my handicap index will vouch for my lack of expertise.

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

I am fairly new like you are, and like you I didn't think i could hit a driver.  So read reviews, read some of the threads in this forum and asked questions.  Using what I learned I went to Golfsmith with the intention of purchasing a Callaway XHot driver because they are supposed to be a super awesome forgiving club.  Lucky for me the salesman talked me into hitting some balls with the XHot off their analyzing gizmo.  He also had me hit some other different drivers.  Long story short I went in for a Callaway and went home with a Cobra AMP Cell 11.5*.  I hit this club much better than any of the other drivers I tried out.  So take the advise of these guys on the forum.  They know what they are talking about.

Charles

Ping G30 SF TEC
Ping G25 3w
Ping G Red Dot +1/4" irons - 6,7,8,9,W,U,SW, LW
Ping G30 3H
Ping G25 4H
Ping Scottdale TR B60
Callaway Supersoft

A 5 wood is a pretty versatile club and well worth owning a good one. Even if you perfect the driver. I'd have a look at a Maltby Trouble Out from Golfworks. It looks like they have returned to the original design, which was amazing. Can order whatever shaft and grip you want and assembly is like $4. If you could find a Callaway Steelhead III somewhere, they are amazing.

I have been playing with a G25 4 Wood, easy to hit,  sort of the best of both worlds between a 3 and 5, the G25 is a 16.5* loft so it is a 1/2* stronger then most 4 woods.

I don't carry a 3, 5 or 7 just don't have a need for them but i do carry a 3 hybrid, this gets be down the fairway with little work.

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

This thread has some excellent advice.

As for which club to hit off of the tee, a driver isn't going to be that much more difficult than a 5w for a true beginner.  yes the shaft length is a little longer, but the head is significantly bigger.

How are you struggling with the driver? In other words, what is the ball doing?

Hireko (a respected component club manufacturer) makes something called the "thriver"  It has the loft and club head weight of a 3 wood, but the head size of a driver.  So you can have it built to be shorter like 44" long.

http://www.hirekogolf.com/acer-xf-titanium-thriver-rh-14-custom-assembled.html

The cost of the club is around $100, so the shaft isn't going to be a very expensive one, but I think for a beginning golfer it might not be a bad way to start.

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

Joel,

Maybe a lesson would be a sound next investment in the game.

You should find a way to hit a 3-wood and/or driver off the tee. If you are building a set slowly, get a lesson and a 3-wood. 3-woods often cost less than their driver mates -- about one or two lessons worth less.

Which 3-wood or driver does not matter as much as you may think at this point. Consider a used club while you find a swing worthy of a shinny new 3-wood.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Note: This thread is 3937 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!