• Announcements

    • iacas

      Create a Signature!   02/05/2016

      Everyone, go here and edit your signature this week: http://thesandtrap.com/settings/signature/.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tuffluck

13th club for a long hitter

38 posts in this topic

I've had 12 clubs for some time: D, 3w, 3h, 4-PW, UW, and 56 degree.  Recently I made some drastic changes in my swing and got some amazing results.  I was hitting my 56 degree 75y total before on a full swing and UW 110y on a full swing, and now I'm hitting them 120y/150y respectively.  That range makes the <100y shots a little bit awkward with my highest wedge, the 56 degree.

I'm leaning towards a 62 degree wedge, and just doing some backwards math that club would be about 80y on a full swing, which would complete a pretty good lower range for me on full shots.  The Vokey is only offered in 62-07, and I'm not sure if that bounce is too low for some full shots with a 62 wedge, though.

I'm just curious what others recommend, specifically guys that hit most of their wedges over 100y.  Before it was a lot easier to justify the 56 degree as my only wedge, but now I'm thinking another wedge would be a smarter play.  Thank you!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

If you want a bit more bounce, you could always get a 60-10 and have it bent to 62. That would take the bounce up around 12.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

I'd just get into doing some distance control work with my 56. choke down to an exact spot on the club(3 inches is good) or only make a backswing 3/4 of the way to the top, even rank amatuers can control distance effectively by choking down and only taking a half(50 yards), a quarter(30) or 3/4(100 yards) I would guess that you'll hit a 60* wedge about 90 yards now, but that 100-115 gap is rarely a full swing for anyone. I like to hit a 50% pitching wedge.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suggest relearning how to stop delofting your wedges and how to hit them properly..... ;-)
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

Originally Posted by tuffluck

I've had 12 clubs for some time: D, 3w, 3h, 4-PW, UW, and 56 degree.  Recently I made some drastic changes in my swing and got some amazing results.  I was hitting my 56 degree 75y total before on a full swing and UW 110y on a full swing, and now I'm hitting them 120y/150y respectively.  That range makes the <100y shots a little bit awkward with my highest wedge, the 56 degree.

I'm leaning towards a 62 degree wedge, and just doing some backwards math that club would be about 80y on a full swing, which would complete a pretty good lower range for me on full shots.  The Vokey is only offered in 62-07, and I'm not sure if that bounce is too low for some full shots with a 62 wedge, though.

I'm just curious what others recommend, specifically guys that hit most of their wedges over 100y.  Before it was a lot easier to justify the 56 degree as my only wedge, but now I'm thinking another wedge would be a smarter play.  Thank you!

I think the first thing you should probably do is get a putter! ;)

After that, I think it makes sense to go ahead and get a lob wedge.  Personally, I think 62 is bit a much - based on your sand wedge being 56, I'd probably go with 60 - but whatever you feel fills that last gap is your best bet.  My sand wedge is 54.5 and my lob is 59.  (Designed such that the gaps from 9 iron to the end are all 4.5 degrees.)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

I suggest relearning how to stop delofting your wedges and how to hit them properly..... ;-)

Hitting my 4i 220 and drives 310, so I don't think I'm delofting anything, unless I'm delofting everything. Good suggestion about learning the 56 a bit better, I am pretty good controlling the distance with that club actually, but in a way I guess having a gap in distance and an extra spot in the bag is convincing I may as well get another wedge.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you've got room for an extra club, then I think a lob wedge is the only way to go. I have a 60, but anything between 60-62 would probably suit you well.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

I have some buddies who are long hitters that carry 50, 54 and 58. I always thought 58* was more practical than 60* for full swing shots because you don't sky it quite as much which helps control distance into the green.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

Would be helpful to know what the lofts of all your clubs are before making a suggestion. I've used three different setups this year and my wedge selection was based less on how far I hit my driver than what I needed to fill specific gaps. My largest gaps are on the long side of the bag because those clubs get me to where the shorter clubs make a difference. After I bought my current iron set, with 44* PW, which I use like a 9i, I went to a 48/10-52/10-56/14-60/12 wedge set.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

Lob wedge is the way to go.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by David in FL

I suggest relearning how to stop delofting your wedges and how to hit them properly.....


Do you mean that you need to use less lag for wedges, while still maintaining it for all other clubs?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

Do you mean that you need to use less lag for wedges, while still maintaining it for all other clubs?

Not really. I was suggesting that short of tour pro swing speeds, the likely way to hit a gap wedge 150 yds is to have so much forward shaft lean at impact that the effective loft is reduced significantly. Of course it's possible that tuffluck has tour pro swing speed too...... I'm just jealous. I wish I could hit driver, wedge into those pesky little 470 yd par 4's.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

Originally Posted by David in FL

Not really. I was suggesting that short of tour pro swing speeds, the likely way to hit a gap wedge 150 yds is to have so much forward shaft lean at impact that the effective loft is reduced significantly.

Of course it's possible that tuffluck has tour pro swing speed too...... I'm just jealous. I wish I could hit driver, wedge into those pesky little 470 yd par 4's.

I guess I missed that part of the OP.  I saw the 220 yard 4 iron (which is fine), and the 310 yard driver (uh-huh, sure) but somehow glossed over the 120 sw/150 uw part.  That is a bit ridiculous.

tuffluck, if you really do hit those 2 clubs that far, my first suggestion would be to try and keep your shoes on when you swing.  If you're hitting a 56* wedge 120 yards, I don't care how good or big you might be ... I think you're swinging too damn hard.  (I consider myself a fairly long hitter and a full swing with my 54.5 - that is 1" longer than standard - goes 110)

Secondly ... I'd suggest that you'd be better off with a setup more like mine, which means you'd have to dump the 56 too.  30 yards is waaaaaay too big of a gap between wedges, IMO.  Don't add a 62, but instead lose the 56 and add a 54 and a 58.  You say "UW" so I assume that you are talking about Pings, which means its likely 50*.  It also means that your PW is 45 or 46, so logically, it would make sense to have a 54/58 combo.  That means instead of going 150/120/80 and leaving 30 and 40 yard gaps, you'd be able to go 150/130/110, which is a little more sensible if you ask me.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

I guess I missed that part of the OP.  I saw the 220 yard 4 iron (which is fine), and the 310 yard driver (uh-huh, sure) but somehow glossed over the 120 sw/150 uw part.  That is a bit ridiculous.

tuffluck, if you really do hit those 2 clubs that far, my first suggestion would be to try and keep your shoes on when you swing.  If you're hitting a 56* wedge 120 yards, I don't care how good or big you might be ... I think you're swinging too damn hard.  (I consider myself a fairly long hitter and a full swing with my 54.5 - that is 1" longer than standard - goes 110)

Secondly ... I'd suggest that you'd be better off with a setup more like mine, which means you'd have to dump the 56 too.  30 yards is waaaaaay too big of a gap between wedges, IMO.  Don't add a 62, but instead lose the 56 and add a 54 and a 58.  You say "UW" so I assume that you are talking about Pings, which means its likely 50*.  It also means that your PW is 45 or 46, so logically, it would make sense to have a 54/58 combo.  That means instead of going 150/120/80 and leaving 30 and 40 yard gaps, you'd be able to go 150/130/110, which is a little more sensible if you ask me.


I really don't think I swing too hard. Plus, the numbers make sense if you start with a 4i @ 220 and work your way back ~10y per club...5i 210, 6i 200, 7i 190, 8i 180, 9i 170, PW 160, UW 150, 54 130, 56 120, etc.

The 56 is such a great and versatile club for me, I feel ditching it would be abandoning the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality, so I'm just trying to add something else that would compliment it for tighter/closer shots.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by tuffluck

I really don't think I swing too hard. Plus, the numbers make sense if you start with a 4i @ 220 and work your way back ~10y per club...5i 210, 6i 200, 7i 190, 8i 180, 9i 170, PW 160, UW 150, 54 130, 56 120, etc.

The 56 is such a great and versatile club for me, I feel ditching it would be abandoning the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality, so I'm just trying to add something else that would compliment it for tighter/closer shots.

Then I'd second Geauxforbroke's recommendation ... You want 62 but are concerned with 7* being too little bounce, so get the 60/10 and bend it to a 62/12.  Voila ... problem solved.

And regarding the swinging hard comment ... the reason why I say that is because I hit a 4 iron 220 when I hit it solidly, yet when I take what I consider to be a "hard" swing with my 54.5 SW it's only going 115.  If I had a 56, I would bet my "hard" swing would go 105 max.  Maybe "hard" isn't the right word though, because my "full" swings with wedges are not really as full as with longer clubs.  So perhaps your swing is a little too long instead of too hard.

My point simply being that you don't NEED to be hitting short irons/wedges that far.  There is no benefit, and in fact, as you are finding out, there is a detriment, because now you have problems when you're too close to the green.  (That statement should never have to be uttered ... nobody should ever be too close to the green)  A little bit shorter and smoother swings would bring down those distances such that the gaps are closer together and you have smaller gaps at the bottom and bigger gaps at the top.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

Originally Posted by David in FL

Not really. I was suggesting that short of tour pro swing speeds, the likely way to hit a gap wedge 150 yds is to have so much forward shaft lean at impact that the effective loft is reduced significantly.

Of course it's possible that tuffluck has tour pro swing speed too...... I'm just jealous. I wish I could hit driver, wedge into those pesky little 470 yd par 4's.


I didn't catch that he hit his UW (~54 degrees?) 150 yards, either. If I could hit it that far the ball would travel about 120 to 130 yards up in the air. I understand now that he must be delofting it.

Thanks for the explanation, Dave.

To Tuffluck, you should get professionally fitted. I don't know how much you can get from the internet.

However, GolfingDad is really good , and if I were you I would try to listen to what he has to say. Keep in mind that he is a really big dude, and you might need to get shorter clubs.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

Originally Posted by Lihu

I didn't catch that he hit his UW (~54 degrees?) 150 yards, either. ...

No, a standard Ping UW (gap wedge, approach wedge, I think they're all the same) is 50*

We also don't know where he's playing.  If he's up in the sky somewhere (Colorado, Montana, etc, etc) then the 150 UW isn't crazy at all.

I am just stereotyping that a guy with a 15 handicap who hits it that far is probably swinging out of control in some way, shape or form.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

Basically following up Golfingdad's posts.

If you really do just have natural ultra high swing speed or just aren't ready to hear it (I wasn't when i was playing off a 15) then it is what it is.  But before you start buying clubs, look at your FW% and GIR%.  I'm CAPABLE of hitting my 4i 220 and my drives 310.  But I'd play to about a 15-20 if I swung that way.  The longer I've played and the more I've learned, the easier I've swung.  In my standard SoCal dry hot sunny weather, I play my 4i to 200-205 instead of 220, and expect my drives to roll out to ~280 or so instead of 310.  I've started breaking 80 sometimes on easy courses swinging that way.  When I strike one of those clubs particularly well (when it's not cold or wet) they still go that far, or nearly as far.  But to average that distance I'd have to cut my FW% and GIR% in half, or worse.

One more thing to think about if you need the convincing is that pros really do dial it way back.  I saw Bubba in a Pro-Am Wednesday driving comp once where he was putting it out to 360-380.  In competition he drives it more like 320-330.  And as a spectacularly naturally gifted pro his fairway percentage when going from 85% to 100% drops WAY less than yours or mine.  You're a 15 right now.  Surely you don't want to go back to being a quite short hitter, but are you sure you aren't going 110% every swing and could shoot much much better scores swinging 80%?

That said, I'm a huge fan of the LW.  I played 2h, 3i-PW, 54˚ SW for a long time, and both my 60-80 yard shots and my green side shots improved dramatically when I got my 60˚.  It's low bounce, but I don't really find it a problem.  It means I don't feel super comfortable using it out of the sand much, but except in really hard bunkers I'm comfortable opening my higher bounce 54˚ up more and just pounding the sand hard to get more height.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2016 TST Partners

    GAME Golf
    PING Golf
    Lowest Score Wins
  • Posts

    • Ball likely in casual water but uncertain
      You're exactly right. At first I meant we were told to re tee if we could not find it, meaning unplayable stroke and distance, same as a lost ball but obviously you must call the correct penalty. But that makes no sense because it would just be a free drop if certain the ball was in. But what ACTUALLY occured was because of the cold and forecast of pouring rain (which happened) they made an odd rule where we could re tee without penalty if we saw the ball go in. So I did not do the free re tee, which someone in the group did a few holes before, beause we were not sure, AND we didn't rake it out, so it was declared a lost ball. But the other kid who did not do a re tee because he thought he saw his ball clear the sand, took a free drop without finding it, all within the rules. The bunker was on the right side of the fairway so my line was further and to the right of the kid who took the drop, who hit it straight and short. All i can vividly remember is us standing in the pouring rain and cold, dragging rakes through a bunker full of deep water, and finding every other golf ball! Crazy!  I think you got to the real oddity where an unidentified unplayable is the same penalty as a lost ball, but called something different. Unless there is some difference? I guess if it is found before you hit the next shot you would not be able to play it where it lies in the unplayable scenario, granted you did not declare the lost ball lost yet (then no penalty). Is there any other difference? I guess both you can tee it up after the penalty, and you still can't go more than 2 clubs behind the tee markers in the unplayable scenario I believe. Wonder if there are any other differences between lost ball and unplayable but unidentified.
    • Ball likely in casual water but uncertain
      I think we are talking about a couple of different things.  First, I don't really understand the "local rule" you were given in your tournament with regards to the flooded bunkers.  When you say re tee, did they tell you to play your stroke over with no penalty.  Can't do that. As far as declaring a ball unplayable, this is different than taking relief for Casual Water.  You may in fact declare a ball unplayable without finding it, but in this case, you must play your next stroke from the spot where you played your last.  (Stroke and Distance)  If you think about it, its the same procedure as if you were to lose your ball.  Under the ball unplayable rule there is a one stroke penalty. Iacas gave you the rule for taking relief from casual water in a bunker.  In order to do this, it must be known or virtually certain the ball is in the casual water.  
    • My Swing (coop6)
      @coop6. You're right about opening up too fast. I should have worded differently. It's not that your body isn't moving where it needs to move. It's that your arms aren't moving with your body enough. Or you might say the body isn't inluencing the motion of the arms. Try the Dufner towel under arms drill, it's an extreme drill but it will help this. Your body rotation has to help turn the club back to square, that is the whole idea, feel the body and upper arms turning the club back. Once that happens you won't have to flip the club shut right after impact.
    • My Swing (coop6)
      @iacas see it now
    • My Swing (adragon0216)
      There is no such thing as a strong grip. There is a stronger left hand or stronger right hand. If you strengthen the right hand grip this will help close the face. If you weaken the left hand grip this will also help close the face, though less so. Stand taller and flatten the swing out until you are older. Don't try to be so bent over at the hips at impact. Take lessons so you don't get hurt swinging this way. Your shoulders should turn level through the ball. Like I said don't increase the bend from the hips at impact.    
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Images

  • Today's Birthdays

  • Blog Entries