IGNORED

My partner and I are teeing it forward from the "testosterone tees" to the blues.

TJBam
Note: This thread is 3910 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

First time I met him he asked if I wanted to join up.  Big black guy, ex-military.  I said sure, if you don't mind moving on up to the blue tees with me (he was on the tips).  He had no problem doing so.  Pars and birdies were raining down on us.  Now every time we play, no matter the skill level (or perceived skill level) of those paired with us, we insist on playing the blues.  Even when another person is hesitant or says "I usually play tips," turns out they are never longer off the tee box and don't turn out to be a "tips" player.

I am 230-240 consistently (have recently lost some 10 yards on driver - no complaints) and he is 250-260 consistent.  We have a great time and have no shame in playing from the blues.  Neither of us is a "little guy" and we have not had one single person playing with us insist on playing further back.

Moral of the story is save your testosterone for the bedroom, tee it forward, watch your score drop and let yourself enjoy the game!!

Have you tee'd it forward?  If you're not breaking 90, I'd suggest it.

CHEERS! (From down in front.)

• Upvote 1

It's more than where the tees are but how far for me. I try to stay in the 6500-6800 yd range. At some courses the "tips" are less than that at others that puts me three-four sets up from the back. But I typically play from where ever the other men in the group play just to keep it friendly and quick. Which can suck because some of the shorter courses also have low ratings and despite playing and scoring well it doesn't yield a great differential. But I really don't mind. I get paired with seniors at times and I'll play way up with them and just use 6i down.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There's absolutely nothing wrong with splitting tees either.   Play the tees you like (and/or are more appropriate).....no matter what someone else may play.

Just make sure that the person/people playing the more forward tees understand their responsibility to be ready to move up to their tee box and hit, so you're not affecting the pace of play by doing so.......

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I typically play the whites at my course. (about 6500 yards) The blues are our tips. But my tee selection depends on the course. If its wide open i'll play back but if its a  lot narrower i'll play it forward to try and keep some balls from going OB.

T here is nothing wrong with playing tees that fit your skill level. I don't think shooting a high score makes anyone better. Play to your skill and build confidence.

Most places I play only have blues/whites for men. So I don't have a choice.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

I am a sub in the members league at the GC I work at so depending what flight i am playing i may play whites or blues. I have to say playing forward isnt that much easier. Its was actually very different in terms of sight lines on tee shots. I actually enjoy playing it forward once in awhile.

A couple of days ago I went to the course to play in our weds. night scramble. I got there a couple hrs early to hit some balls and maybe squeeze in 9 holes. Ran into my old baseball coach and he asked me to play. Of coarse I normally play the blue tees and he plays the whites. Well he insisted I play the whites with him to save time and maybe we could get in 18. I shot even on the front 3 birdies, 3 bogeys and 3 pars. Best 9 holes of my life, he was so pumped for me that he quit playing after 13 and read putts and pulled pins in the pouring rain just so I could finish ''the round of my life''. but the whole time in the back of my mind I kept thinking this doesn't even really count, I cant claim this as my lowest score ever. Ended up shooting a 78 which is 2 strokes better than my best round. I was hitting the ball really well and putted out of my mind that day but would have I shot 78 from the blues. Doubt it.

Originally Posted by liveeel

A couple of days ago I went to the course to play in our weds. night scramble. I got there a couple hrs early to hit some balls and maybe squeeze in 9 holes. Ran into my old baseball coach and he asked me to play. Of coarse I normally play the blue tees and he plays the whites. Well he insisted I play the whites with him to save time and maybe we could get in 18. I shot even on the front 3 birdies, 3 bogeys and 3 pars. Best 9 holes of my life, he was so pumped for me that he quit playing after 13 and read putts and pulled pins in the pouring rain just so I could finish ''the round of my life''. but the whole time in the back of my mind I kept thinking this doesn't even really count, I cant claim this as my lowest score ever. Ended up shooting a 78 which is 2 strokes better than my best round. I was hitting the ball really well and putted out of my mind that day but would have I shot 78 from the blues. Doubt it.

Still your best round. If you shoot a 75 at an easier course, are you not going to count it?

It would be one thing if you played from the ladies tees...

Ryan M

Originally Posted by Slice of Life

Still your best round. If you shoot a 75 at an easier course, are you not going to count it?

It would be one thing if you played from the ladies tees...

It would make it into the ten lowest but wouldn't be a really low differential. If I play the forward tees and shoot a 3 over 75 at my former home course, and I have, it's a 9.2 differential. Better than most of my differentials but only by 2-3 from the next lowest. One or two lower than average differentials wouldn't have much of an impact averaged with the rest of the ten lowest. If I did it now that 9.2 would be mixed in with some 14-15 stuff.

Dave :-)

Originally Posted by Dave2512

It would make it into the ten lowest but wouldn't be a really low differential. If I play the forward tees and shoot a 3 over 75 at my former home course, and I have, it's a 9.2 differential. Better than most of my differentials but only by 2-3 from the next lowest. One or two lower than average differentials wouldn't have much of an impact averaged with the rest of the ten lowest. If I did it now that 9.2 would be mixed in with some 14-15 stuff.

Of course, as far as handicap goes.

But overall score, it still counts. I mean, figure on the PGA tour...a guy would probably be happier with a 67 at the US Open this year than a 59 at some easy course...but when you ask him what their lowest round is, you bet your ass he's gonna say it was a 59.

Ryan M

I play the middle men's tees at my course.  I started playing the back tees this year and then moved up one.  The difference is only about 100y from 6400 to 6500 but I figure if I cant shoot par from the middle tees why should I play the back tees.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Originally Posted by cipher

I play the middle men's tees at my course.  I started playing the back tees this year and then moved up one.  The difference is only about 100y from 6400 to 6500 but I figure if I cant shoot par from the middle tees why should I play the back tees.

If that's the case, I'm just gonna start teeing up at the 150 yard marker on every hole. lol

Ryan M

Originally Posted by Slice of Life

If that's the case, I'm just gonna start teeing up at the 150 yard marker on every hole. lol

Good Idea!

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Originally Posted by cipher

Good Idea!

I'd probably still shoot over par. Haha.

Ryan M

Originally Posted by David in FL

There's absolutely nothing wrong with splitting tees either.   Play the tees you like (and/or are more appropriate).....no matter what someone else may play.

Just make sure that the person/people playing the more forward tees understand their responsibility to be ready to move up to their tee box and hit, so you're not affecting the pace of play by doing so.......

I was thinking the same thing.  I've never once had a person ask me to "move forward" to play with them.  If they prefer shorter tees, we always go split tees and it's never an issue.  If anything, they sometimes feel pressured to move back when I tell them where I am playing. I always ensure them it's OK they play from wherever is comfortable so they don't feel pressured.   If I'm playing furthest back....I go first and do my thing quickly...and then they drive forward and do their thing.   I usually make a point to get to the tee first and hit before they even get there if nobody is in front of us.

Whether it's the "Tips" or not is completely irrelevant. The course itself is everything........... The tips may be 5800yds for Gods sake...LOL  People should know their game, and know where to play from.   look at the CR and SLOPE for each set of tees and choose accordingly.....just because it's "the tips" .......doesn't mean SH!T!

Wherever I play, I know the appropriate tees for me......if they asked me to change, I'd probably look at them cross-eyed. LOL

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Make sure you tell us about all of your albatrosses on the 150-yard par fives [quote name="Slice of Life" url="/t/68393/my-partner-and-i-are-teeing-it-forward-from-the-testosterone-tees-to-the-blues#post_867264"] If that's the case, I'm just gonna start teeing up at the 150 yard marker on every hole. lol [/quote]

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Note: This thread is 3910 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!