IGNORED

My partner and I are teeing it forward from the "testosterone tees" to the blues.

TJBam
Note: This thread is 3936 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

By the rules you may only play from a rectangular area defined by the outside edges of the tee markers and extending 2 clublengths back from them.  That gives you maybe 2½ yards, no more.

What if they are slightly diagonal to the line to the hole? Do we use the forward one for the reference for how far back we can go or the back one? Unless, this is because some player accidentally moved it?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Lihu

What if they are slightly diagonal to the line to the hole?

Do we use the forward one for the reference for how far back we can go or the back one?

Unless, this is because some player accidentally moved it?

You make a rectangle. It doesn't matter where the hole goes - just that one side of the rectangle is defined, and rectangles are made of right angles.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

By the rules you may only play from a rectangular area defined by the outside edges of the tee markers and extending 2 clublengths back from them.  That gives you maybe 2½ yards, no more.

What if they are slightly diagonal to the line to the hole?

Do we use the forward one for the reference for how far back we can go or the back one?

Unless, this is because some player accidentally moved it?

Trouble is you can't know if it was moved accidentally or if that's how it was set up.  The rules see the tee markers as fixed and immovable when playing from the tee, and as movable obstructions for any other stroke.  I have seen players pull them out and toss them aside without bothering to mark the location, and I've seen them set up poorly by mowers who really don't know how to do properly.  When the player steps up on the teeing ground, they are inviolate.  If they are pointed slightly off, then it's up to the player to aim himself in the right direction.

The teeing ground is not a parallelogram, it's a rectangle, and the direction it is pointed is irrelevant.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Trouble is you can't know if it was moved accidentally or if that's how it was set up.  The rules see the tee markers as fixed and immovable when playing from the tee, and as movable obstructions for any other stroke.  I have seen players pull them out and toss them aside without bothering to mark the location, and I've seen them set up poorly by mowers who really don't know how to do properly.  When the player steps up on the teeing ground, they are inviolate.  If they are pointed slightly off, then it's up to the player to aim himself in the right direction.   The teeing ground is not a parallelogram, it's a rectangle, and the direction it is pointed is irrelevant.

So, my question is not alignment per se, but if I wish to move back 2 whole clubs which marker should I use?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

So, my question is not alignment per se, but if I wish to move back 2 whole clubs which marker should I use?

Either one. But, the teeing area is a rectangle. In order to define that rectangle, you have to start by drawing a straight line between the two tee markers. You then draw the two sides of the rectangle by measuring back two club lengths perpendicular to that straight line at each tee marker. The direction to the green or the orientation of the tee box to any other part of the hole is, as Fourputt said, irrelevant.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Trouble is you can't know if it was moved accidentally or if that's how it was set up.  The rules see the tee markers as fixed and immovable when playing from the tee, and as movable obstructions for any other stroke.  I have seen players pull them out and toss them aside without bothering to mark the location, and I've seen them set up poorly by mowers who really don't know how to do properly.  When the player steps up on the teeing ground, they are inviolate.  If they are pointed slightly off, then it's up to the player to aim himself in the right direction.

The teeing ground is not a parallelogram, it's a rectangle, and the direction it is pointed is irrelevant.

You use both of them.  I'm not sure how to explain it any better.  they could be aimed 45 degrees away from the fairway but they still form a rectangle 2 clublengths deep from a line drawn straight across the front edges of the markers.  Even if the entire rectangle is aimed 45 degrees off, you still have to hit from within that rectangle.

See this rough sketch.  Direction of play is shown by the arrow.  Both red boxes are legitimate teeing ground setups, but the back one is set up poorly.  As a player you just deal with it, but you still have to play from within the red box.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

You use both of them.  I'm not sure how to explain it any better.  they could be aimed 45 degrees away from the fairway but they still form a rectangle 2 clublengths deep from a line drawn straight across the front edges of the markers.  Even if the entire rectangle is aimed 45 degrees off, you still have to hit from within that rectangle. See this rough sketch.  Direction of play is shown by the arrow.  Both red boxes are legitimate teeing ground setups, but the back one is set up poorly.  As a player you just deal with it, but you still have to play from within the red box. [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/79093/] [/URL]

Got it. Thanks. This happens a lot on the public courses I play.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

A story I've told before....... Playing with 2 buddies. One plays off of 3, and the other has been playing for one year and carries an honest, accurate 32. We've been teaching him to play the game properly, by the rules...... .....we're on a relatively short par 3. About 150 yds. The tee markers are towards the front of the tee box, but Tony tees his ball up in the center of the box. I stop him and explain that the teeing area only extends 2 club lengths deep. He says "ok", picks up his ball, moves up 15 feet, sticks the peg in the ground and knocks the ball in the jar! :-O My other buddy and I have been playing for a combined total of over 70 years, and have a combined hcp of less than 9.....First ace either of us have ever SEEN. the rat-bastard! :-P

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 3936 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!