IGNORED

How much range time?

GatorGolf
Note: This thread is 3925 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I try and get to the range at least once a week and if I’m lucky maybe even two times. I have a high handicap and want to improve as much as possible. Is going to the range as much as I do going to be enough?

I work on my irons and drivers more than chipping ( feel fairly confident in chipping ) and putting (probably my weakest aspect) , but not as much as I should. Aside from me knowing my weakest points is there anything I should change in my practice to make better improvements?

Originally Posted by GatorGolf

I try and get to the range at least once a week and if I’m lucky maybe even two times. I have a high handicap and want to improve as much as possible. Is going to the range as much as I do going to be enough?

I work on my irons and drivers more than chipping ( feel fairly confident in chipping ) and putting (probably my weakest aspect) , but not as much as I should. Aside from me knowing my weakest points is there anything I should change in my practice to make better improvements?

As long as you practice smart, once a week is plenty to see some significant improvement at your skill level. When I say practice smart, I mean figure out what you specifically want to work on that day, find some drills to do, take notes, and reflect on your range time and if the drills were successful. You'll see much better results this way than if you go to the range 3 times a week and beat balls with no purpose.

Tyler Martin

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I generally try and aim at a target and make sure my shoulders are where I want them to be and take into consideration the wind and my natural draw. When I swing my driver I just try to visualize a fairway in between 2 flags and go for that.

My biggest problem comes when I get to a course I just crap out and lose everything I gained at the range. My mental game also breaks down and I get angry pretty quick when I miss hit. Something I have to personally deal with and remember it’s just a game and to let my clubs to the work.

I generally try and aim at a target and make sure my shoulders are where I want them to be and take into consideration the wind and my natural draw. When I swing my driver I just try to visualize a fairway in between 2 flags and go for that.

My biggest problem comes when I get to a course I just crap out and lose everything I gained at the range. My mental game also breaks down and I get angry pretty quick when I miss hit. Something I have to personally deal with and remember it’s just a game and to let my clubs to the work.

The range is the place for thinking about your swing and figuring things out. Even if you're not playing well, try not to think too much on the course (about mechanics that is). Over time, you'll build muscle memory.

Tyler Martin

If putting is the weakest part of your game, you might be wise to spend less time on the range and more time on the practice green.  I go to the range about once a week but I dont go crazy getting the extra large bucket and blasting away for a couple hours.  I always get 72 balls and hit about 5 shots with each club.  IMO, thats plenty because I feel that any more than that and I get bored and start to lose my focus, to the point where Im just blasting away without a clear mental image of the shot I want, to the point where Im gaining little benefit from it.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Do you have an alignment aid? If not, get some .

That being said, don't drop $20 on the fancy ones from a golf store. Go to Home Depot and get a few of these: http://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Hillman-Group-48-in-Reflective-Rod-848638/202051800#.UeAuZ0E4tcs

They are practically identical, and you can get several without spending near the money.

Tyler Martin

I agree with you. When I go out there  I just get a bucket of 50-75 balls hit a couple with each club, like you said and move on until I feel like I’ve made solid contact and put the ball where I want with each club.

I should probably cut down the time on the range and move to the practice green. I feel my weakest point on the green is visualizing where the break on the green is. I can get the feel down after a few putts but I don’t play the break right all that often. I’m generally at least 2 or 3 putting every time I get on the course and really hurts my score.

I do most of the worthwhile practice at home. I get more out of slow-mo swings in front of a mirror and doing drills than I do whacking balls. The range is where I go to see if the drills are working and even then I rarely make it through a small bucket. It's amazing what a few minutes of wall drills will do for a swing.

Dave :-)

Originally Posted by Dave2512

I do most of the worthwhile practice at home. I get more out of slow-mo swings in front of a mirror and doing drills than I do whacking balls. The range is where I go to see if the drills are working and even then I rarely make it through a small bucket. It's amazing what a few minutes of wall drills will do for a swing.

What are these wall drill you speak of?

I do not have an alignment aid, I just put down a club sometimes. That might be a good $4 investment though. Thanks!

Definitely worth it. You can do things with them that you can't do with a club. For example, I was at the range last night working on taking the club back down the line (I have the tendency to get inside). So I stuck one of my sticks in the ground about 5 feet behind the ball where I could see it in my peripheral vision and practiced taking the club back towards that stick.

Tyler Martin

I think once a week is def enough to show improvement.

Having said that, I got a yearly membership to a course this year that includes unlimited range balls.  This has been really good for my game.  Since it is already paid for, I find myself being drawn to go do it - as opposed to worried about cost.  I also hit big buckets now instead of small - and often hit more than one.  And I always play some game to make sure every shot counts for me - that I'm not just aimlessly busting balls.

The chief 2 things I do are to ether bring a scorecard and actually do a virtual round.  Playing each shot according to the distance and water and such (excluding putts of course).

The other thing I do - which I actually prefer - is to (after a little warmup) start at 9-iron and hit it until I hit a good shot with a specific target in mind.  I judge the shot based on if it would have gotten me a bogey or better.  If not - I hit another 9.  Once I hit a good 9, then I hit 8 until I hit a good one. If I hit a good 8, I go to 7.  If I hit a bad 8, I get demoted down to 9 again.  Every shot results in a promotion or a demotion - hence you never hit the same club twice (except at the top and bottom of course).  I use this theory to try to climb my way up the bag, 9 / 8 / 7 /6 / 5 / 4 / 4 off a tee / hybrid / hybrid off a tee / 3-wood off a tee.  The goal being to get all the way to 3-wood (I don't carry a driver - would prob be driver for everyone else).  If I can hit 5 good 3-woods in a row - I have 'won' the game and I start back at 9-iron.

This makes sense to me, because you will spend time where you need it most before progressing to more difficult clubs.  If you aren't very good at hitting 7-iron, probably not very good at 4-iron.  Also makes you concentrate on every shot as if it counts, makes you really judge how well you are doing, makes you change clubs constantly, gives you a goal to work toward, keeps it from getting boring, etc.

I'm not the best putter and I know it. But man it hurts to drive to the range and just putt putt putt. Once I'm swinging the clubs you couldn't lure me back to the putting green with a full rack of ribs and a keg.

Originally Posted by TJBam

I'm not the best putter and I know it. But man it hurts to drive to the range and just putt putt putt. Once I'm swinging the clubs you couldn't lure me back to the putting green with a full rack of ribs and a keg.

Yesterday, I started with a bucket of 75. Only worked on the wedges and hitting certain distances. Then I ventured over to the putting green. Spent almost 2 hours there chipping and putting. And finally I went and hit about 50 full swing shots. It worked really well, because even after all of the short game work, I still had plenty of energy to get some full swings in. Will probably stick with that routine as long as time permits. The whole process took about 3 hours.

I feel the same way! I feel it's best if I go to the putting green first so I can at least work on some putting before I start swinging some clubs.

Originally Posted by BostonBrew

Yesterday, I started with a bucket of 75. Only worked on the wedges and hitting certain distances. Then I ventured over to the putting green. Spent almost 2 hours there chipping and putting. And finally I went and hit about 50 full swing shots. It worked really well, because even after all of the short game work, I still had plenty of energy to get some full swings in. Will probably stick with that routine as long as time permits. The whole process took about 3 hours.

That is a long time at the range! I usually am only out there for about an hour or a little more.

That is a long time at the range! I usually am only out there for about an hour or a little more.

I can be a bit of a range rat at times. I have a hard time saying, "OK, that was enough practice." Usually it's some kind of responsibility or lack of daylight that forces me to leave. And even then, I usually do a good amount of mirror work at home.

you couldn't lure me back to the putting green with a full rack of ribs and a keg.

But is it just too much to ask for someone to at least TRY to?

I like to hit during lunch 2 or 3 times a week.

Sometimes I try to work on things.  THough usually just a small bucket.

• Mostly just getting the repeatable swing.  (the turf at the local range is crappy, so it's a crap shoot)
  • Sometimes shaping
  • Sometimes just hitting targets I pick in the range
  • Other times problem clubs from previously
  • Just getting reps on the groove is nice
  • Every time I work on expanding my flexibility and increasing my total rotation - it's paying off

Other - Sometimes it's just about getting out of the office and whacking a small bucket

I'd prefer to work on putting, chipping, and pitching, but it's a bit crowded.

Bill - 

Note: This thread is 3925 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!