IGNORED

GUR/Ruling from partners

NoPuttIsToShort
Note: This thread is 3931 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi All

Here's the situation.

The ball is outside of the GUR but my stance would be inside. I thought I would have to take a drop but wasn't 100% on the rule so asked my three playing partners what the rule would be. They said I had to play it from where it was, so i played the shot on their ruling.

Now it turns out I was right and that I should have taken the drop meaning its a penalty shot and I have signed for a wrong scorecard.

The question is because I asked for a ruling and my playing partners gave me a incorrect ruling should I be penalised?

• Administrator
Originally Posted by NoPuttIsToShort

Hi All

Here's the situation.

The ball is outside of the GUR but my stance would be inside. I thought I would have to take a drop but wasn't 100% on the rule so asked my three playing partners what the rule would be. They said I had to play it from where it was, so i played the shot on their ruling.

Now it turns out I was right and that I should have taken the drop meaning its a penalty shot and I have signed for a wrong scorecard.

The question is because I asked for a ruling and my playing partners gave me a incorrect ruling should I be penalised?

You're not obligated to take a drop from GUR. Words like "would have to" and "should have" are not correct.

b . Relief

Except when the ball is in a water hazard or a lateral water hazard , a player may take relief from interference by an abnormal ground condition as follows:

May. Not "required to."
So you're not penalized, but not because your partners gave you the wrong ruling.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks for the reply. There still some discussion about this as it is a local rule you have to take a drop from GUR. But out of curiosity would I be penalised for playing the shot on the ruling of my playing partners?

• Administrator

Thanks for the reply. There still some discussion about this as it is a local rule you have to take a drop from GUR. But out of curiosity would I be penalised for playing the shot on the ruling of my playing partners?

The golf course or committee can prevent it, you're right. They'll often do so to protect young newly planted trees, etc.

At the end of the day it is your responsibility to know the rules, and to abide by them.

a. Ground Under Repair; Play Prohibited

If the Committee wishes to protect any area of the course , it should declare it to be ground under repair and prohibit play from within that area. The following Local Rule is recommended:

“The _____________(defined by ____) is ground under repair from which play is prohibited. If a player’s ball lies in the area, or if it interferes with the player’s stance or the area of his intended swing, the player must take relief under Rule 25-1

PENALTY FOR BREACH OF LOCAL RULE:

Match play – Loss of hole; Stroke play – Two strokes.”

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

But out of curiosity would I be penalised for playing the shot on the ruling of my playing partners?

Your playing partners have no authority in the matter. What you choose to do is entirely your decision. If you are not sure, before taking any action, you should declare that you are going to play two balls under rule 3-3 and report the matter to the committee on completion of your round. Rules 3-3 procedure link http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules-of-Golf/Rule-03/#3-3

Thanks for the replies guys.

Well that means I've signed for a wrong scorecard. Thanks for clearing the rule up about getting a wrong ruling from your playing partners as well.

Annoyed about it now though, the ball was in a divot and I thought I would get a drop because of standing in the GUR, ending up playing it thanks to a wrong "ruling" and put it on the green anyway.

Gutted best round I have ever played. Will know for next time

• Administrator

Well that means I've signed for a wrong scorecard. Thanks for clearing the rule up about getting a wrong ruling from your playing partners as well.

Gutted best round I have ever played. Will know for next time

That's only true if your club REQUIRES drops from GUR. Most clubs do not have that local rule in place. Are you sure that local rule is in place at your club?

Originally Posted by iacas

That's only true if your club REQUIRES drops from GUR. Most clubs do not have that local rule in place. Are you sure that local rule is in place at your club?

I think the old rule making you take relief was the norm in the UK, but is slowly being replaced by the may take relief rule.

Certainly my club went over to the new rule earlier in the year.

I think the old rule making you take relief was the norm in the UK, but is slowly being replaced by the may take relief rule.

Certainly my club went over to the new rule earlier in the year.

The R&A; Rules of golf have not "required" players to take relief from ground under repair since 1952.  Any such requirement at your club was by local Rule only.

Compulsory relief should only apply when the area itself needs some sort of protection (eg newly seeded or turfed ground) not because it may be temporarily damaged and difficult to play from.

Note: This thread is 3931 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!