IGNORED

What is an Albatross? (OT Stuff from "First Albatross" Thread)

Phil McGleno
Note: This thread is 3911 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So a par four then really. [quote name="trackster" url="/t/68375/first-albatross#post_866765"] It was between 450-475 so not super duper long (hard to tell because they had us play the "Up" tees for the tournament but they placed most of them where the blue tees would be on a normal day.  I have google earthed where I'm pretty sure my drive landed and it was north of 300  so an above average tee shot for me. [/quote]

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Phil McGleno

So a par four then really.

Not really. There are plenty of 475 yard par 5s if you're not playing from the tips. Sometimes they factor difficulty of the hole into that if it's a little on the short side.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Originally Posted by Slice of Life

Quote:

So a par four then really.

Not really. There are plenty of 475 yard par 5s if you're not playing from the tips. Sometimes they factor difficulty of the hole into that if it's a little on the short side.

True. I used to play a course that had a 470ish yard par 4 and a 460ish yard par 5.

Tyler Martin

It's only a par five if you're playing the right tees for your distance. For him it was a par four-Or do you guys claim to make eagles all the time playing 275-yard par "fours" from the womens tees? Call it an albatross if you liek I think it was a nice eagle. If he had 140 in and didn't ride a cart path then its not a par five and the hole doesnt have any architectural stuff to make it a par five either.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

It's only a par five if you're playing the right tees for your distance. For him it was a par four-Or do you guys claim to make eagles all the time playing 275-yard par "fours" from the womens tees?

Call it an albatross if you liek I think it was a nice eagle. If he had 140 in and didn't ride a cart path then its not a par five and the hole doesnt have any architectural stuff to make it a par five either.

Tyler Martin

[INDENT][/INDENT][quote name="460CompMark" url="/t/68375/first-albatross#post_866888"]a 2 on a par 5 is a 2 however you wanna slice and dice it. [/quote] Unless it's a medium length par 4.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by Shorty

Quote:

Originally Posted by 460CompMark

a 2 on a par 5 is a 2 however you wanna slice and dice it.

Unless it's a medium length par 4.

He didn't design the course. Don't rain on his parade.

Go be grumpy elsewhere.

Tyler Martin

It's only a par five if you're playing the right tees for your distance. For him it was a par four-Or do you guys claim to make eagles all the time playing 275-yard par "fours" from the womens tees?

Call it an albatross if you liek I think it was a nice eagle. If he had 140 in and didn't ride a cart path then its not a par five and the hole doesnt have any architectural stuff to make it a par five either.

You sir are a tosser.............

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by thescarecrow

Quote:

You sir are a tosser.............

Bonus points for the use of the word "tosser".

Tyler Martin

Originally Posted by geauxforbroke

Go be grumpy elsewhere.

My amusement is about it being his "first" albatross, not the abbreviated length of the hole.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by Shorty

Quote:

Go be grumpy elsewhere.

My amusement is about it being his "first" albatross, not the abbreviated length of the hole.

Originally Posted by Shorty

Quote:

Originally Posted by 460CompMark

a 2 on a par 5 is a 2 however you wanna slice and dice it.

Unless it's a medium length par 4.

Tyler Martin

Claim it as an albatross all you want, doesn't change the fact that it was an eagle. But I'll be sure to play from the ladies tees next round and tell you all about my awesome round of eagles, albatrosses, and two-putt birdies galore. Congrats on your albatross playing from tees designed to be played by the geriatric crowd.

Claim it as an albatross all you want, doesn't change the fact that it was an eagle. But I'll be sure to play from the ladies tees next round and tell you all about my awesome round of eagles, albatrosses, and two-putt birdies galore.

He was playing in a tournament; he didn't pick the tees. A 2 on a par 5, regardless of the length of the hole or whether you think it qualifies as a par 5, is an albatross.

To the OP, congrats on a great golf achievement. As you can tell, jealousy of your accomplishment abounds.

Tyler Martin

Claim it as an albatross all you want, doesn't change the fact that it was an eagle. But I'll be sure to play from the ladies tees next round and tell you all about my awesome round of eagles, albatrosses, and two-putt birdies galore.

No no no.............You are changing the FACT..............Fact is, a two on a par 5................Be sure next time you play from the ladies tee's , we are kept up to date with your progress.

True. I used to play a course that had a 470ish yard par 4 and a 460ish yard par 5.

The 9 hole Altadena Golf course has exactly that and they even moved back the tees to about 460ish.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

You sound like my kids coach. You don't approve of driving short par 4 greens?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Like 10 at Riviera or like a 350-yard hole from the back tees that plays at 245 yards from the women's tees? Short par fours designed as such will have features that add risk-reward and will make most players lay up this hole had none of that it was a par four called a par five because he played from the wrong tees. The scorecard might say it was a par five but thats for old guys or women and if I were the OP I would not go around bragging about my albatross. But hey let me tell you about the eagle I made when I played a par four from the womens tees at 195 yards.[quote name="Lihu" url="/t/68375/first-albatross/18#post_866930"]You sound like my kids coach. You don't approve of driving short par 4 greens? [/quote]

Note: This thread is 3911 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!