IGNORED

What should I do?

Note: This thread is 3910 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have been playing golf since I was about 10 years old, I'm now 18. When I was 13/14 I really got into golf, played golf everyday and got cut maybe 30 shots in one season. Then I got more interested in girls and spent less time on the golf course but I still played a bit.

My last two seasons have gone like this:

1. Two seasons ago: I started to only play maybe once a week in the competitions and then the odd practice round with friends every two/three weeks. Then mid-way through the season I started to hook balls, and I hooked a lot. I started the season on 11, and got down to 10.
  2. Last season: Maybe one in every five shots were hooks, I went from 10 to 11, and then I had one good round of 76 (which means I still had my good golfing days in me) which got me back down the 10. After that I got very close to going back up to 11, so I stopped entering the competitions. I then only started playing on competition days but not actually entering in the competition.

I did not play golf all winter has my motivation for the game was gone. Its mid-way through the current season I want my old golfing days back, where I could go out and shoot competitive scores.

My questions are, should I just spend a lot of time at the range? or should I attempt to rebuild my swing?  And what about my motivation and mind game now? I'm not motivated to go out and play anymore, and when I'm out playing I just get annoyed at my game very easily.

You gotta have fun otherwise going out to practice is going to just make you hate the game more.  Unless you're making a living through golf then you might just have to grind it out.  However, if you want the game to just click and come to you without practicing then you are probably in for a rude awakening.

What I would suggest is playing some days with just friends for competition sakes and having side games within those games to make it more interesting even if you're not having a great scoring day.  You can research this forum there was something posted not too long ago about games within the game of golf.  Then for now maybe have your "practice" days consist of practicing on the course instead of on the range, where you're not keeping score and hitting 2 from each tee &/or fairway.

Then when you've got your head right and your heart in it then take the practice to the range.  The range can be fun if you make it competitive with yourself.  I tend to ask a friend to come along every other time I go and try and play "HORSE" like in basketball, calling your shots or simply see who can get closer with wedge shots to targets.  Putting and chipping contests.

Bottom line, make it fun again then your head will follow your heart.

You are kind of wanting your cake and to eat it as well.  You want to be as good as you once were while playing drastically less than you did.   For most people that just isn't going to happen.  I feel you have a couple options.

1) Accept that you aren't as into golf as you once were and accept that you most likely won't be as good as you were with the lesser playing time.

2) Try to figure out why your are so burnt out and if you are willing to work at the same level you did in the past.  If you want to, go ahead.  If you don't, see #1.

Life very often gets in the way of Golf and unfortunately golf is a game that takes a lot of dedication to reach higher levels.  If your heart isn't into what you are doing you're probably going to struggle to put in the time needed.  However, learning to maximize your level of practice with minimum time can help stabilize your game.  Try breaking down your practice to 30 minutes a day, maybe set up a net in your yard/garage.

Bottom line: If you don't enjoy what you are doing, whether it Golf or something else, it makes it more difficult to play.

Jeff

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I see a lot of young people putting pressure on themselves to do well in comps and when they don't they beat themselves up, when they hit a poor shot they beat themselves up. This game is very difficult it's no wonder there is so much written about it by so many experts. As has been suggested don't forget to enjoy yourself, see the game and your development as an adventure.You will get more bad days than good if you become super critical of yourself and your ability or lack of development. Enjoy the game for what it is, a walk in the park, and consider yourself lucky to be able to be out there.

I work with 16 year old young people with medical needs who don't have a long life expectancy, I count my blessings every day that I can pick my clubs up and go and enjoy the company of my mates.

Good luck

whatever you do.

Note: This thread is 3910 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!