IGNORED

Possible fake titleist irons?

Note: This thread is 3930 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Something about these feels very fake to me. I bought them second hand from an individual, so who knows. The serial number is seven digits and only on the 6 iron, and the shafts look like they've been a very poor install. I know that a custom set is supposed to have a serial on each head, but I'm wondering if someone might have just reshafted these with these +1/2" in their garage and possibly did a very poor job. Thoughts on authenticity? [IMG] [/IMG]

Tried the magnet test and discovered that the magnet would stick to the insert, but I believe this is only because it was attracted to the face. When I put the magnet close to the face or hosel, it slides off of the insert, over to the chromed metal. Anybody every seen PX shaft bands like that (no flex listed)?

From the Team Titleist website, this is posted by a user:

" I personally observed fake AP2 irons recently and differences are hard to spot without comparing to certified authentic clubs.  Here are the differences.

Heads are 1 or 2 piece not forged 3 piece.  Ti Ni finish is faked.

Project X shaft sticker is wrong color blue shading.

Chrome will flake off with any stress during regular play and may even result in shaft breakage or separation at hosel.

Swing weight will be much less than spec of D2.  I observed C8.

Removing grip will show rusting inside shaft and very thin metal  (alloy?)

Black iron # paint is thin and deteriorates fast.

The 6 iron has a s/n but it is probably copied and is not stamped with same quality as authentic.

I'm sure there are other signs so buyer beware."

I think a good bet is to compare the project x sticker to a PX shaft sticker you know to be authentic. Compare the colors of the blue.  Also if you're going to have them regripped take a good look at the metal underneath the grips.  These assertions are made of course by what was posted at Team Titleist in my post above.

Also the PX grips with no stiff listed are the old "satins".  Probably not fakes.  The sticker was only on one of the shafts and fell off easily.  I think they flex etc is listed on the butt end of each shaft.  Rip a grip off if you're curious.  Hope you've been answered.

• Upvote 1

Im certainly no expert on Titleist clubs, but that "710" stamp looks extremely crappy in the first picture...

Driver: :tmade: Burner '08 10.5* 3 wood: :tmade: Rocketballz 15* 3 hybrid: :tmade: Burner Superlaunch 18* 4 hybrid: :tmade: Rescue 11 21* Irons: :tmade: Burner 1.0 5-AW Wedges: :vokey: Spin Milled 54* :cleve: CG16 58* Putter: :odyssey: 2 Ball Blade Grips: Golf Pride VDR white Balls: :titleist: Velocity Bag: :tmade: Audi bag

Totally agree vinchenzio, that and the crappy epoxy job were the things that piqued my interest. Other than those though, everything seems pretty legit. They're gonna go to the shop tomorrow for further inspection.

Originally Posted by Vinchenzio45

Im certainly no expert on Titleist clubs, but that "710" stamp looks extremely crappy in the first picture...

I agree here.  The stamp looks bad and hosel looks suspicious but it may just be a garage job.  Remember that the Project X satin shafts you have there are the old version and some people value them much more highly than current versions.  I.e. it would be odd to put a fake head on expensive shafts, unless the shafts are fake too.

Originally Posted by phildosaurus

Totally agree vinchenzio, that and the crappy epoxy job were the things that piqued my interest. Other than those though, everything seems pretty legit. They're gonna go to the shop tomorrow for further inspection.

The Titleist font looks good to me and the shafts are 99% PX satins - I bet you'll find the flex on the butt end.

My conclusion is that you're probably fine regardless of the home shafting job and 710 stamp, but a clubfitter will be your answer in person.  Be weary of the clubfitter who immediately says they're fakes and insists you trade them in for a $100 credit on a brand new set though...

As mentioned by I'm curious how this ends up, please update when you find out.

Just got back from the shop, where they confirmed that these are real. Called in about the serial number and also concluded that someone had just done a poor garage reshafting job and possibly even a bad attempt at a paintfill. Glad to know they're legit. Thanks for your help guys! I'll add pics of the serial and buttstamp just for a future reference in case anyone else has similar questions as I did. [IMG] [/IMG]

Ok. Glad you got everything worked out.

Driver: :tmade: Burner '08 10.5* 3 wood: :tmade: Rocketballz 15* 3 hybrid: :tmade: Burner Superlaunch 18* 4 hybrid: :tmade: Rescue 11 21* Irons: :tmade: Burner 1.0 5-AW Wedges: :vokey: Spin Milled 54* :cleve: CG16 58* Putter: :odyssey: 2 Ball Blade Grips: Golf Pride VDR white Balls: :titleist: Velocity Bag: :tmade: Audi bag

Note: This thread is 3930 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!