IGNORED

What is your strangest experience on a golf course?

Chad Collins
Note: This thread is 3918 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Motown88

I regularly golf next to the Air Force base I'm stationed and last fall I saw an aircraft that I never knew existed, at the time at least. I watched a NASA Super Guppy come in and land and then take off about an hour or so later.

Never heard of the Super Guppy, so I googled it. Bizarre plane.

Tyler Martin

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Continuing the animal theme. Last week I played on a day with odd weather, kind of muggy but with wind and rain clouds closing in. I was pushing to finish and hit a few bad shots, one landed under a small tree. The ball was just to the right of the trunk and only a yard or so away so not much room for a backswing. As I am taking practice swings trying to figure out how to punch it towards the green, 3rd shot on a par 5, a snake drops out of the tree and lands near my right foot. I jumped and my playing partner starts laughing so I I turn around and see him pointing at the tree. Somehow I failed to notice there were snakes crawling all over that tree. A really big one wrapped around it about chest high. They were not happy I was there disturbing them. That was the 5th hole. By the 9th we saw dozens of different snakes slithering around. Never seen anything like it.

Dave :-)

Just as my playing partner's putt was about to go in the hole a neighborhood dog came racing across the green and snatched up the ball and took off with it. We tried to catch him but after a couple of blocks down the street we gave up.

Since that green is hidden from the tee it makes me wonder if that dog might have something to do with how many balls I lost on that hole after what I thought were good tee shots.

Originally Posted by hammerhead

My strangest experience was when I actually got 2 birdies in a row.

Congrats on not falling prey to the PBFU.

Tyler Martin

Not as fun as any so far but last week I hit a putt that went in dead center, hit the edge of the inner metal cup and bounced out.

For a humorous one, years ago a friend was hitting from the rough right next to a house that was near the course. He shanks it and hit the house. A guy comes running out (I'm sure it sounded like a gun shot) and looks up where it hit and there is a hole is the siding. At this point he turns to see where it came from and is visibly shocked to see my friend standing right outside his fence. He then points at the green and says something like "The hole is over there!!" My friend goes from apologetic to pissed in about a nano-second and they start yelling at each other. I was dying laughing. The guy was elderly and there was no chance of escalation but it was the funniest thing I had ever seen.

Pseudo Transcript:

Elderly Guy: "The hole is over there!!"

My Friend: "Oh Really!! Oh Really!! I didn't know that. Thanks a lot!!"

Elderly Guy: "How can you hit my house from there!!!"

My Friend: "Maybe you shouldn't live on a golf course!!!"

Me: "BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!"

Like the original poster, mine involved a bear. We were playing the Banff Springs Golf Club in the Canadian Rockies about 15 years ago. The staff told us that, it being calfing season, if we ran into any elk to stay away and let them pass through because if we got close to them, the moms would attack. It occurred on the front nine and we had to sit in the fairway for about 20 minutes to let the elk pass through the hole.

Then on the back nine, a siren went off. It was odd, as it was a beautiful day so it wasn't weather related. A staff member came hurrying up in a golf cart and told us that it was a grizzly bear alert and that we had to get off the golf course. That lasted about a half hour. We never saw the bear that day, but we saw one the next day off the side of the road on the way to Chateau Lake Louise. I stopped to try and get a picture, but a Park Ranger who was tracking the grizzly came out of the woods and told us to keep moving as they didn't want the bear to have any contact with humans. Believe me, I hadn't planned on getting out of the car, but I did get a quick snapshot. That reminds me; that was before I had a digital camera and all of those pictures are on film. I have to get those picture digitized. The scenery on that trip was unbelievable, including that golf course.

Bill M

Originally Posted by phan52

Like the original poster, mine involved a bear. We were playing the Banff Springs Golf Club in the Canadian Rockies about 15 years ago. The staff told us that, it being calfing season, if we ran into any elk to stay away and let them pass through because if we got close to them, the moms would attack. It occurred on the front nine and we had to sit in the fairway for about 20 minutes to let the elk pass through the hole.

Then on the back nine, a siren went off. It was odd, as it was a beautiful day so it wasn't weather related. A staff member came hurrying up in a golf cart and told us that it was a grizzly bear alert and that we had to get off the golf course. That lasted about a half hour. We never saw the bear that day, but we saw one the next day off the side of the road on the way to Chateau Lake Louise. I stopped to try and get a picture, but a Park Ranger who was tracking the grizzly came out of the woods and told us to keep moving as they didn't want the bear to have any contact with humans. Believe me, I hadn't planned on getting out of the car, but I did get a quick snapshot. That reminds me; that was before I had a digital camera and all of those pictures are on film. I have to get those picture digitized. The scenery on that trip was unbelievable, including that golf course.

If/when you get those pictures digitized, you should post some here! I am dying to visit that area.

My wife and I almost went there for our honeymoon, but decided to go to Estes Park in Colorado instead because it was a little cheaper. I hope to visit Banff for maybe our 5 or 10 year anniversary, and I am fortunate that my wife likes golfing with me from time to time and will hopefully play with me up there.

Originally Posted by Lash

If/when you get those pictures digitized, you should post some here! I am dying to visit that area.

My wife and I almost went there for our honeymoon, but decided to go to Estes Park in Colorado instead because it was a little cheaper. I hope to visit Banff for maybe our 5 or 10 year anniversary, and I am fortunate that my wife likes golfing with me from time to time and will hopefully play with me up there.

Banff is beautiful this time of year. We went in the middle of June and the days are sooo long. We also went to a great place abut 180 miles north of there, the Jasper Park Lodge, that was magnificent as well. The drive between the two places is indescribable and one of the highly recommended road trips in the world by National Geographic -

http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/travel/road-trips/banff-jasper-canada-road-trip/ .

We took the train from Vancouver to Jasper, stayed a few days, then rented a car and drove to Banff. It is golf related because both Jasper and Banff Springs have highly regarded golf courses. People were playing golf at Jasper until around 11:30 PM when we were there.

Unfortunately, a friend was just there a couple of weeks ago when they had that horrible weather that flooded Calgary. The Bow River flows through Banff and down out of the Rockies, and that is the river that flooded Calgary. It rained the whole time they were there and the road back to Calgary was closed, so they had to take a train to Vancouver and fly back to the east coast from there. Hopefully, that is the anomaly for the region. Our trip was the best of my life.

Bill M

Just as my playing partner's putt was about to go in the hole a neighborhood dog came racing across the green and snatched up the ball and took off with it. We tried to catch him but after a couple of blocks down the street we gave up. Since that green is hidden from the tee it makes me wonder if that dog might have something to do with how many balls I lost on that hole after what I thought were good tee shots.

:-)

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Originally Posted by Chuckles76

Saw that on the new last night.  What golf course is that?

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

A few years back, a buddy of mine and I were playing and when we made the turn we stopped and got some crackers and beer from the snack bar.  We drove over to the 10th tee box and as we were standing on the tee box waiting to hit, a squirrel got into the cart and was trying to steal his crackers out of the pocket of the cart.  My buddy throws a ball at the squirrel who jumps out of the cart (without the crackers).  The squirrel came back and jumped up on the front of the cart right above the cup holder and pissed on top of his beer (which was already opened).

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

The squirrel came back and jumped up on the front of the cart right above the cup holder and pissed on top of his beer (which was already opened).

LOL, I'll bet next time you guys will get extra crackers...

Diablo Edge 10.5   Big Bertha 3W   Polarity HP 2-5H, 6-SW  Dual Force 330

Three 5

Not my experience, but my gf was playing golf last weekend with her mates and they found some guy nude sunbathing and later on found him beating off in the trees...

Let her know I'm sorry about that....

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

When my son was 5-7yrs old, he used to ride with me in the cart weekday evenings.  He'd bring a wedge and putter and hit the occasional shot....good times!!  We had geese on the course and he loved it when I chased them in the cart.  It was getting really dark one evening and I hit my tee-shot in the rough on the last hole.  We see a pack of animals and assume they are geese.........and go straight for them.....it was dark so I didn't really know what they were.......................we got really close, and as it turns out, it was a pack of skunks eating something.  LOL

I quickly changed course at the last second...........and luckily we didn't get sprayed because we got pretty close!!

As far as exotic things......I've played courses with wild komodo dragons running loose and monkeys in the trees in Malaysia....fun stuff!!

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Watching ladies golf in the Netherlands.

An European tour event.

This is what's happened.

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

Years ago, my playing partner who was a wild high handicapper was approaching a green trying to bend it around a tree.  Like most courses, there were an abundance of squirrels.  He topped it and hit a hot hopping worm burner near the tree.  The ball promptly struck a squirrel square in the head.  Ball deflected to the fairway and the squirrel lay dead in its tracks.  It was as exciting as a hole in one!!!

Note: This thread is 3918 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!