IGNORED

Perception of Tour Players' Character and Demeanor

RoyJeeBiv
Note: This thread is 3850 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

watching the Golf Channel this morning, a thought crossed my mind on the disposition of particular golfers on tour.

during Tiger's presser, he was asked about his elbow injury during the U.S. Open, and he discussed how hitting out of the rough put a lot of torque on it.  he could have taken that opportunity to complain, but instead he quipped:

Tiger: Conversely, just stay out of the damn [rough].  Ya know, put it in the fairway, put it on the green and make your putts.  It’s not like I was drawing bad lies on those tee boxes.

contrast that with what Zach Johnson had to say after missing the cut at the U.S. Open:

IIRC, Johnson later made a half-assed backtrack on those comments, but the sentiment remains -- it's comments like this (and a story from a local Cedar Rapidian that Johnson once refused to pay for a cup of coffee, because, "don't you know who i am??" ) that make me all but root against Johnson.

i understand people may not like Tiger for his past transgressions, but you have to admit his 'intensity' on the course is well-balanced with his sense of humor off of it.  IMHO, i can appreciate that more than a guy who is 'likeable' on the course and a total ass when he isn't swinging the club.

this got me thinking of how other golfers stack up, whether it be the perception of their character or their behavior on the course.  there are obvious polarizing stand-outs -- for character (Sergio Garcia), or on-the-course play (Keegan "The Human Rain Delay" Bradley).

personally, i can't stand Mickelson.  his presentation on the course really puts me off -- when his game is on, he has that stupid $#!^-eating grin on his face; and so often when he misses a putt, he stands there with his jaw dropped, as if the hole scooted out of the way at the last second.  i'm sure he's a nice guy and i know a lot of fans like him... but as trivial as they may be, Phil's overdramatized reactions are annoying as hell to watch.  (not to mention, he's a whiny b**** off the course.)

is my perception of Mickelson on point??

what other players get under your skin, and do you think your view is an accurate representation of their character/demeanor, or is it just one of those, "i don't like him because ______________" ...??

-- In the Bag --

Cobra S3 White Driver (10.5*)

Cobra AMP Cell-S 3-Hybrid (18*)

Cobra AMP Cell-S Irons (4i-GW)

SCOR 4161 Forged Wedge (55*)

Cleveland VP1 Putter

I used to really hate Phil, probably more because he was Tiger's arch nemesis, and therefore my arch nemesis as well. But I've mellowed a lot on him, especially considering the health issues he and his family have had. As for players I don't like : For no good reason - Rocco Mediate Because he's fat - Tim Herron

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by colin007

As for players I don't like :

For no good reason - Rocco Mediate

Because he's fat - Tim Herron

lol

Especially at the bottom one.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Originally Posted by colin007

I used to really hate Phil, probably more because he was Tiger's arch nemesis, and therefore my arch nemesis as well. But I've mellowed a lot on him, especially considering the health issues he and his family have had.

As for players I don't like :

For no good reason - Rocco Mediate

Because he's fat - Tim Herron

Well hey once NYC bans those big ol 64oz cokes I'm sure that will settle your little problem there.

I really cant stand Poulter.  To me, he's just an arrogant jerk who has no respect for anyone.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I have to agree with Colin I used to really dislike Phil because he seemed fake and was Tiger's arch rival. However I too have sort of let that go and just chalk that up to Phil being Phil. I can't say I really dislike anyone but I do like when someone plays the villian aka Sergio at the players.

Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer

I really cant stand Poulter.  To me, he's just an arrogant jerk who has no respect for anyone.

I used to feel that way but I guess his toughness in the Ryder Cup matches gave me more respect for him. I just wish he was playing for my side.

The guy I work for (and his wife) know a lot of the guys on the Champions Tour, and some big names that don't play anymore.

It surprises me many times what they say (both good and bad) about some of those guys. Either they are crazy or the players are nothing like the way they come across on TV.

Originally Posted by RoyJeeBiv

watching the Golf Channel this morning, a thought crossed my mind on the disposition of particular golfers on tour.

during Tiger's presser, he was asked about his elbow injury during the U.S. Open, and he discussed how hitting out of the rough put a lot of torque on it.  he could have taken that opportunity to complain, but instead he quipped:

contrast that with what Zach Johnson had to say after missing the cut at the U.S. Open:

IIRC, Johnson later made a half-assed backtrack on those comments, but the sentiment remains -- it's comments like this (and a story from a local Cedar Rapidian that Johnson once refused to pay for a cup of coffee, because, "don't you know who i am??") that make me all but root against Johnson.

i understand people may not like Tiger for his past transgressions, but you have to admit his 'intensity' on the course is well-balanced with his sense of humor off of it.  IMHO, i can appreciate that more than a guy who is 'likeable' on the course and a total ass when he isn't swinging the club.

this got me thinking of how other golfers stack up, whether it be the perception of their character or their behavior on the course.  there are obvious polarizing stand-outs -- for character (Sergio Garcia), or on-the-course play (Keegan "The Human Rain Delay" Bradley).

personally, i can't stand Mickelson.  his presentation on the course really puts me off -- when his game is on, he has that stupid $#!^-eating grin on his face; and so often when he misses a putt, he stands there with his jaw dropped, as if the hole scooted out of the way at the last second.  i'm sure he's a nice guy and i know a lot of fans like him... but as trivial as they may be, Phil's overdramatized reactions are annoying as hell to watch.  (not to mention, he's a whiny b**** off the course.)

what other players get under your skin, and do you think your view is an accurate representation of their character/demeanor, or is it just one of those, "i don't like him because ______________"...??

I believe there are two different issues here. One tiger is talking about an injury. USGA is notorious for high rough. I don't Zach is talking about high rough, i think he's talking about the crazy long par 3, were people were hitting driver. That was similar to beth page black, when a lot of the tour players couldn't reach the beginning of the fairway. So i take both statements as apples to oranges. Given Zach can't change the conditions he plays in, and its wasted energy to complain. But if enough players voice there displeasure about the layout, then maybe the USGA might actually listen. Like make the damn par 3 240 yards and not 260+ yards.

The only person who annoys me to watch is Sergio. Zach doesn't look like a whinny kid on the course, he looks calm. He saves his opinions for after his round. Sergio just wears everything on his sleeve and thinks the whole world is against him. He would complain about something if he sucked on an easy course. If zach is complaining about a few instances in a US open, that's not even in the same realm as sergio's complaining.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I would have to say just the opposite of what the OP stated that Phil is "overdramatized" in his reactions... I seem to remember Tiger being the one who really made the big fist pump popular... I seem to remember him being the one who turns and yells with the crowd when he makes a big putt... and I definitely remember Tiger throwing his hat to the ground in an "overdramtized" manner when he won at Bayhill... God forbid a professional golfer be surprised/pissed when he misses a putt. I know for a fact that when Tiger wasn't putting very well in the last few years his reactions were very animated when he would miss, and rightfully so, he is probably the greatest putter (in pressure type moments) ever to play the game. If Tiger misses a putt he should be pissed/animated/overdramatized. I guess what I am trying to say is that Phil has a nice guy rep because he is a nice guy but then again I'm a huge Phil fan.

IIRC, Johnson later made a half-assed backtrack on those comments, but the sentiment remains -- it's comments like this (and a story from a local Cedar Rapidian that Johnson once refused to pay for a cup of coffee, because, "don't you know who i am??") that make me all but root against Johnson.

what other players get under your skin, and do you think your view is an accurate representation of their character/demeanor, or is it just one of those, "i don't like him because ______________"...??

I think you have to take what guys say in press conferences with a grain of salt.  I don't think, alone, comments to reporters speak anything about a guys character.  Tiger could be saying what he said 100% sincerely, or just cuz he knows that's the "correct" answer.  And Zach could have just been in a pissy mood, who knows.

As far as your perception of Phil ... based on a lot of other things I've read on here, I don't think you are far off at all.  I always liked him, thought he was forthcomnig, sincere, easy going, friendly.  Now, I'm not so sure it's not part of an act.  I still give him the benefit of the doubt though, but I'm not having any strong feelings one way or the other, because, after all, I really know nothing about him.

(And you can't hold the putt reaction against only him ... Tiger does the little "I can't believe it broke left when it was supposed to break right" hand motion whenever he missed his 8-12 footers.  And both of those are better than the generic "I didn't miss that putt, it was this spike mark RIGHT HERE in case you guys didn't all see that" move that they all do occasionally.)

Hmmm, who gets under my skin???  Nobody really, off the top of my head.  Rory Sabatini seems way too up tight and never smiles, so he's kind of hard to root FOR, but I'm certainly not rooting against him either.  Poulter doesn't bother me.  Keegan?  A little annoying, but again, I'm still not rooting against him.

Originally Posted by saevel25

I believe there are two different issues here. One tiger is talking about an injury. USGA is notorious for high rough. I don't Zach is talking about high rough, i think he's talking about the crazy long par 3, were people were hitting driver. That was similar to beth page black, when a lot of the tour players couldn't reach the beginning of the fairway. So i take both statements as apples to oranges. Given Zach can't change the conditions he plays in, and its wasted energy to complain. But if enough players voice there displeasure about the layout, then maybe the USGA might actually listen. Like make the damn par 3 240 yards and not 260+ yards.

The only person who annoys me to watch is Sergio. Zach doesn't look like a whinny kid on the course, he looks calm. He saves his opinions for after his round. Sergio just wears everything on his sleeve and thinks the whole world is against him. He would complain about something if he sucked on an easy course. If zach is complaining about a few instances in a US open, that's not even in the same realm as sergio's complaining.

Sergio is veiwing gold when he is in contention because of the inevitable meltdown. I guess the one time I felt bad for him was at Carnoustie. I really think that there was a little gamesmanship going on there, when he was standing out on the 18th fairway waiting to hit his shot, while some maintenance guy took five minutes to rake a greeenside trap.

And Vijay Singh is just not a nice guy. A miserable man who acts entitled around golf fans.

Bill M

I pretty much like any golfer who plays fast and dislike any golfer who plays slow. Snedeker is currently my favorite. Just seems like a happy, fun guy. An "Ah Shucks" kinda guy. Don't know him from Adam but that is my perception. Never liked Harrington very much. He's slow and whines a lot so I'm sure that is why.

Hate to tell you this, RoyJee, but none of the pros give a rip about what you or other TST posters think of them.

Pros get asked questions, and if they don't answer the media and the fans hammer them for being stuffy. If they make comments, fans pick them apart for what they say.

Just because you're a fan doesn't mean you get to command the pros to do certain things.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

To answer your first question, I am a huge Phil fan because of his demeanor on the course. I love the fact that he has that grin on his face, while I know that others find it irritating. He is a very nice person and a family man who does a lot for charity.

The players do not get under my skin as much as the idiots who inevitably yell, "Get in the hole," or "You 'da man," at the moment the pro strikes their drive.

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

I will say that I like to watch Rickie Fowler play because of his risk reward style and because I like to watch guys who have a less than robotic looking swing.

I just dislike Geoff Overton because at the 2010 Greenbrier Classic, in which Stuart Appleby won with a 59, he missed a putt and then blamed a blade of grass. The commentators were even like, "Is he serious?" I wish I could find a clip of it on YouTube, but maybe some of you guys saw it.

Originally Posted by WUTiger

Hate to tell you this, RoyJee, but none of the pros give a rip about what you or other TST posters think of them.

Pros get asked questions, and if they don't answer the media and the fans hammer them for being stuffy. If they make comments, fans pick them apart for what they say.

Just because you're a fan doesn't mean you get to command the pros to do certain things.

good grief, get off your pedestal.  go suck the fun out of someone else's opinion.

-- In the Bag --

Cobra S3 White Driver (10.5*)

Cobra AMP Cell-S 3-Hybrid (18*)

Cobra AMP Cell-S Irons (4i-GW)

SCOR 4161 Forged Wedge (55*)

Cleveland VP1 Putter

Note: This thread is 3850 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!