IGNORED

Perception of Tour Players' Character and Demeanor

RoyJeeBiv
Note: This thread is 3854 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

In regards to Demeanor on and off the course. I would say Tiger is a total A$$. He screams obscenities often and acts like a baby on the course often exaggerating injuries to excuse poor play. I am not referring to his US Open win either that was not exaggerated. But I cannot deny that Tiger is one of the best if not the best golfer to ever play the game and that I am so envious of his late 90s early 2000s swing. He seems to be quite professional to the media but has his troubles off the course as we have seen with hookers and ruining his marriage. Phil may be a happy go lucky kind of guy and people don't like optimistic attitudes in golf. Is it wrong for Phil to smile walking up 18 knowing he is going to win the tournament but OK for Tiger to yell F$%^ or G*&D;(&* after every poor shot?

Bag:  ping.gif Hoofer

Driver: titleist.gif 910D2 9.5* Ahina 72

Irons: titleist.gif AP2 712

Hybrid: adams.gif Idea A12 19*

Wedges: cleveland.gif 58* vokey.gif 52*

Putter:  odyssey.gif DFX 2 Ball Blade

Congratulations sir, you just won retard of the year with that statement about Phil. Unbeleivable what people say. Wow, just WOW!

Congrats on being incapable of reading an entire thread you huge f@#$ing dbag... wow, just wow

Some very insightful stuff in here.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I had a bit of an issue with Phil's demeanor in the Ryder Cup, giving a thumbs up to his opponent for besting him, while the match was still not over.

And the grin is a mask most of the time, but not today. He was apparently very emotional from the time he hit his second shot on 18. Good for him.

Bill M

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

For all you folks that have been dissing Phil, get an education on the following:

In the final round today, when he come from 5 behind, to go ahead on the 15th hole, would you risk going for the green on 18 to seal a win?

The guy has stones and confidence beyond belief! He could have laid up in two, hit a chip close and hoped for a bird putt. Instead he takes a 3 wood from 305 yards and knocks it on the green for a possible eagle.

If that ain't balls and entertainment, I don't know what is!

He pretty much spanked every player in contention today.............And hopefully shut up all the naysayers on this forum for awhile.

AND the family values were there at the end!

GO Phil!

• Upvote 1

Same here. Bit of a pansy IMO. Not to mention his hair makes him look like an Elton John groupie.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

Originally Posted by jimmyc

For all you folks that have been dissing Phil, get an education on the following:

In the final round today, when he come from 5 behind, to go ahead on the 15th hole, would you risk going for the green on 18 to seal a win?

The guy has stones and confidence beyond belief! He could have laid up in two, hit a chip close and hoped for a bird putt. Instead he takes a 3 wood from 305 yards and knocks it on the green for a possible eagle.

If that ain't balls and entertainment, I don't know what is!

He pretty much spanked every player in contention today.............And hopefully shut up all the naysayers on this forum for awhile.

AND the family values were there at the end!

GO Phil!

Well said!!! Haters always gonna hate. They are jealous because they can't play golf like Phil, and their wives don't look like Amy. These people collect trash for a living, and their wives look like trailer park trash. Wouldn't you hate Phil too?

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

• Administrator
Originally Posted by jimmyc

I'm pretty sure you mean 17, and why was "going for it" a risk? Statistics show that "going for its" rank very, very highly in shooting low scores.

Phil, since working with Dave Pelz, plays the odds better now than ever. So I'm pretty sure he simply made the right choice given the odds.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I had a bit of an issue with Phil's demeanor in the Ryder Cup, giving a thumbs up to his opponent for besting him, while the match was still not over. And the grin is a mask most of the time, but not today. He was apparently very emotional from the time he hit his second shot on 18. Good for him.

Why in the world would that bother you? Phil loves good competition. Of course he wants to win, but he likes to see good golf played. I'm the same when I play. I want to beat my opponent but I will gives a thumbs up or get excited if my opponent hits a great shot. I guess it bothered you as well that Angel Cabrera gave Adam Scott a thumbs up during the playoff at the 2013 Masters? [quote name="cipher" url="/t/68491/perception-of-tour-players-character-and-demeanor/30#post_871079"] [/quote] This. It shows what kind of guy Phil is and other golfers and fans respect him for it.

Originally Posted by phan52

I had a bit of an issue with Phil's demeanor in the Ryder Cup, giving a thumbs up to his opponent for besting him, while the match was still not over.

And the grin is a mask most of the time, but not today. He was apparently very emotional from the time he hit his second shot on 18. Good for him.

Originally Posted by Wally

Why in the world would that bother you? Phil loves good competition. Of course he wants to win, but he likes to see good golf played. I'm the same when I play. I want to beat my opponent but I will gives a thumbs up or get excited if my opponent hits a great shot.

I guess it bothered you as well that Angel Cabrera gave Adam Scott a thumbs up during the playoff at the 2013 Masters?

This. It shows what kind of guy Phil is and other golfers and fans respect him for it.

I agree with Wally here. Phan's comment reeks of the poor sportsmanship that has unfortunately become a bit of a (perceived) hallmark of American golf fans during International play. Yes it's important to win but having class and being a good sport is pretty GD important too IMHO.

It's regrettable that a highly vocal minority can cause a whole nation of golf fans to be viewed as boorish and petty when my real life experiences have proved to me time and time again that this is simply not the case. I think that FIGJAM's thumbs up in that Ryder Cup moment exhibited a tremendous amount of class and respect for the game and how it should be played. Good on Phil, and FWIW Phil is a player that I really don't care for but there is no disputing that in this particular case he was all class.

I also felt the same way about how El Pato (Cabrera) carried himself at the 2013 Masters and, again a player who I don't particularly care for (although not as vehemently as some on this forum LOL), he won my respect during the course of that final round and he still has it today.

• Upvote 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Why in the world would that bother you? Phil loves good competition. Of course he wants to win, but he likes to see good golf played. I'm the same when I play. I want to beat my opponent but I will gives a thumbs up or get excited if my opponent hits a great shot. I guess it bothered you as well that Angel Cabrera gave Adam Scott a thumbs up during the playoff at the 2013 Masters? This. It shows what kind of guy Phil is and other golfers and fans respect him for it.

Well said. Shows how people can perceive things so differently.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

Nate

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

I agree with Wally here. Phan's comment reeks of the poor sportsmanship that has unfortunately become a bit of a (perceived) hallmark of American golf fans during International play. Yes it's important to win but having class and being a good sport is pretty GD important too IMHO.

It's regrettable that a highly vocal minority can cause a whole nation of golf fans to be viewed as boorish and petty when my real life experiences have proved to me time and time again that this is simply not the case. I think that FIGJAM's thumbs up in that Ryder Cup moment exhibited a tremendous amount of class and respect for the game and how it should be played. Good on Phil, and FWIW Phil is a player that I really don't care for but there is no disputing that in this particular case he was all class.

I also felt the same way about how El Pato (Cabrera) carried himself at the 2013 Masters and, again a player who I don't particularly care for (although not as vehemently as some on this forum LOL), he won my respect during the course of that final round and he still has it today.

Sorry, but JMO. Give the guy props after the match. Phil had that match in hand and he let is slip. Maybe if he had a game face on it might not have happened. And what you call boorish and petty is just the way it is. It is a team competition and they are not just representing themselves in the Ryder Cup. For example, he should have been chomping at the bit to play the second round on Saturday, especially since they only went 12 holes in the morning. But no.

And BTW, I like Phil. I was glad that he won yesterday and I was glad that he did it in style. My comment about his grin yesterday was that it was totally sincere, which is not always the case, since sometimes he uses it as a mask. Thumbs up is one thing, but I hardly think he was happy that Justin Rose won the last two holes to flip the match.

Bill M

• 2 months later...
People always talk about how rude and self centered the pros are but just think what you would be like. I would probably fit in with the occasional whine or caught saying something stupid. Also imagine havering the confidence they have to have to play at that level, that's why they get frustrated. Most of the rich and famous are like this and people complain about it but that is how they got rich and famous. Tigers self pride and hunger for greatness is what makes him the one and only, but has also gotten him into some tough situations.

I'm a huge Phil fan. Is he flashy? Yep! Wear incredibly expensive crap for no reason? Absolutely. One of the best of a generation? Yep! But he tosses gloves with 100 bills into the crowd. Stops to kiss babies. Constantly signing autos long after the others have left and for Christ sake, flew across the country twice in two days before the biggest major to watch his daughters dance recital! The young guys on tour love him, he loves the team events. I can't find much to not like about him. However Adam Scott does annoy me. Probably because he's not Steve Irwin Aussie lol. Way to refined for me!!

Note: This thread is 3854 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!