IGNORED

Can't get golf pros to call me back for lessons

Note: This thread is 3923 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've called and emailed a few golf pros in my area about taking some lessons, but can't seem to get any of them to respond. This is my first time trying to find someone to take lessons from, so do I need to give it more time or is this pretty normal and maybe I need to know a person who knows a person who knows a person to get an in?

Make sure the people you contact are serious pros, and not self-employed carpet installers who give lessons on the side.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The pro I take lessons from is not all that good at tech. It wouldn't surprise me if he couldn't return an email.  Having a talk in person, as" 1stopgolfshop " recommended, is the best bet. I'm sure there are some pros who also use tech just fine, but it's probably more the exception than the rule.

• Administrator

Not that it's an excuse, and I'd still call back because it's your chance to make a "first impression," but perhaps their schedules are filled, and they feel they don't need to call you back.

Or maybe you mumble and they can't understand what your phone number is? (Probably not the case, but we had one guy who mumbled so bad we had NO IDEA what his phone number was, and he kept leaving increasingly more angry voicemails.)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas 

Not that it's an excuse, and I'd still call back because it's your chance to make a "first impression," but perhaps their schedules are filled, and they feel they don't need to call you back.

Or maybe you mumble and they can't understand what your phone number is? (Probably not the case, but we had one guy who mumbled so bad we had NO IDEA what his phone number was, and he kept leaving increasingly more angry voicemails.)

I seriously laughed out loud when I read that... picturing hearing the first 2 syllables out of the phone and you're like "Oh... damn it... man, " "It's that damn guy again.... mush mouth is PISSED and I still have no idea who he is....!"

It's weird. I've called 3 different pros and left emails on their respective website contact forms. All 3 are PGA Professional teachers, 2 at country clubs, 1 at a large course here in Houston. All 3 came from recommendations from one of my local golf store's employees. I've even made it a point to tell them that I need multiple lessons on a regular schedule, not just one here and there. I'd drive to the courses in person, but each course is about a 40 minute drive for me and would hate to waste it if they are not there since 2 are private clubs I can't even play on once I get there.

I have a guy here at my local course that I live on, but he just does lessons on the side and works the pro shop on the side as well. Doesn't have any teaching credentials and while he is cheaper, I really need someone to re-work my entire golf philosophy of 13 years of bad habits.

I don't have a lot of confidence in web form submissions getting answered. To get hold of these guys I would work the phone more aggressively. If the club has one of those automated answering systems and the logical sounding option (ex: To schedule a lesson press 7) always takes you to the voice mail, try the option to book a tee time and ask the person that answers if Joe Pro is there. That said, there are some pretty decent pros that work the shop counter and give lessons as opportunity presents. I would give that guy a try and see how it works out. IMHO a lot of what makes a lesson work or not has to do with the ability of the teacher to convey their message, which for me is a lot about what I should feel. Great teachers have a lot of ways to get that across. Less great ones have less maybe, but if they can get through to you they may be good enough.

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

Finally heard from one of the pros that I called. Had a lesson with him today and all I can say is WOW! It was only an hour lesson, but by the end of it, he had me striking the ball so pure that I felt like a pro myself. I've never in my 13 years of playing have hit the ball that well. Still have a lot of work to do, but the first lesson was well worth what I paid and I'll definitely be taking more from him on a regular basis.

Originally Posted by spacemanspiff

Finally heard from one of the pros that I called. Had a lesson with him today and all I can say is WOW! It was only an hour lesson, but by the end of it, he had me striking the ball so pure that I felt like a pro myself. I've never in my 13 years of playing have hit the ball that well. Still have a lot of work to do, but the first lesson was well worth what I paid and I'll definitely be taking more from him on a regular basis.

Congrats on your persistence, and lesson.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Note: This thread is 3923 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!