IGNORED

Etiquette: Having lunch after 9

David-Dj Bryant
Note: This thread is 3586 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Our club allows us to call ahead to place orders.  They also offer mixed nuts in small container, mini muffins, and other small snacks that you can just take for free if you need a quick snack.  If the snack bar is a big bottleneck problem for a course they should consider incorporating some freebie snacks into the green fees to improve the experience at their course.

Most courses I play let you call in, but I've never seen the free grab-bag.  Its a great idea if they're concerned about pace of play--it can't cost more than a couple bucks.  Unfortunately, most courses I play would rather get an extra $10 out of you on the turn.

My home course has even started using "squeeze times"--where they stick a foursome in the middle of the regular 8 minute intervals.  Needless to say, I will not be renewing my annual membership this year.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

One thing I'm really thankful for at my home course is it's an out 9 and back 9 course so we don't have to deal with people causing delays at the turn for those who want to continue playing, however I do remember one time getting paired with a couple young guys who never played here before and didn't see or pay attention that there is no turn, the one guy was okay with it but his buddy looked like he was almost ready to start crying right there at the 10th tee when he realized it was still going to be another 2+ hours before he gets something for his tummy. I suggested they call the starter and explain that they were not aware of the course setup and that they will tip the girl nicely if she would bring something out there. Fortunately the course prides itself on being very customer service oriented and they accommodated them, only problem was baby boy thought it was okay to start munching away on his sandwich on the 12th tee box for the next 10 minutes while people rolled up on us, I already hit my tee shot and approach and was at the green watching this fiasco when the Marshal rolled up and asked what was going on I told him exactly what went down and he went up there and told lunch boy either get moving now or skip this hole, the group in front was on the green of the next hole already and his eating is causing a backup, so they hurried up and hit tee shots and finished the hole meanwhile I already teed off at the next hole and was waiting for them, needless to say the whiner was all bent out of shape because he wasn't told the course was links style and that it wasn't his fault he caused the back up, I just ignored him from that point on since he didn't feel he should have to maintain pace of play even though there are signs all over the course stressing the importance of it, he didn't once feel any sense of gratitude that the course made a special concession for them because they didn't pay attention....some people. :roll:

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

In my experience, upscale public fee courses sometimes have call in phones, but not all by any means.  Mr. Tigerdo and the others who have the conviction that paying their green fees includes a tacit right to food at the turn would hate to play at Fox Hollow in Lakewood CO.  It's a nice 27 hole layout, and when playing 18 holes on the Canyon - Meadow 9's, the "turn" is about 1/4 mile from the clubhouse.  There is no call in, and travel time alone would take longer than you the time allowed to keep pace.  There is simply no practical way to make a food stop there.  I drink water, and pretty much nothing else when i play there (although with the way that the Canyon 9 has my number, I'd be better served to go with hard liquor :blink: ).

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

In my experience, upscale public fee courses sometimes have call in phones, but not all by any means.  Mr. Tigerdo and the others who have the conviction that paying their green fees includes a tacit right to food at the turn would hate to play at Fox Hollow in Lakewood CO.  It's a nice 27 hole layout, and when playing 18 holes on the Canyon - Meadow 9's, the "turn" is about 1/4 mile from the clubhouse.  There is no call in, and travel time alone would take longer than you the time allowed to keep pace.  There is simply no practical way to make a food stop there.  I drink water, and pretty much nothing else when i play there (although with the way that the Canyon 9 has my number, I'd be better served to go with hard liquor   ).

Usually that's the case were I play also, however in defense of the 2 that were with me they did buy lunch tickets  (forward tees 131 slope)in advance so I felt sorry for them a little bit but it went away very quickly when the baby started acting like he could just take a 10 minute lunch break on the 12th tee, on tougher courses it's especially a good idea to have outward and inward 9's versus the clubhouse turn because we have a hard enough time getting people through in less than 5 hours, I can only imagine what it would be like if there was a turn, it would be closer to 6 hours with the people who want to take a 15 minute break.

Rich C.

4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW

I'm not sure why people keep talking about "call in" phones?  This sounds so 1980s and before.    The last time I checked, this is the 2010s and it's not that difficult to call the clubhouse to make an order.   Hell...the phone number is on the scorecard to assist those with dinosaur phones without internet................ and/or those who don't possess enough smarts to google a phone number or find it on a scorecard.  Geez.....lol

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I'm not sure why people keep talking about "call in" phones?  This sounds so 1980s and before.    The last time I checked, this is the 2010s and it's not that difficult to call the clubhouse to make an order.   Hell...the phone number is on the scorecard to assist those with dinosaur phones without internet................and/or those who don't possess enough smarts to google a phone number or find it on a scorecard.  Geez.....lol

Soooooooooooo 19 forgotten.

Rich C.

4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW

I'm not sure why people keep talking about "call in" phones?  This sounds so 1980s and before.    The last time I checked, this is the 2010s and it's not that difficult to call the clubhouse to make an order.   Hell...the phone number is on the scorecard to assist those with dinosaur phones without internet................and/or those who don't possess enough smarts to google a phone number or find it on a scorecard.  Geez.....lol

Believe it or not, some of us don't use our cell phones on the course.  I also don't have every course I play in my contact list.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut

Soooooooooooo 19 forgotten.

I love it.  Almost looks like a scene from Dr. Who. :beer:

Rick

Believe it or not, some of us don't use our cell phones on the course.  I also don't have every course I play in my contact list.

Then you should use your shoe phone

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Then you should use your shoe phone

Would you believe.... it missed me by THAT much! :smartass:

Rick

If pace of play is about 12 minutes, then it looks somethign like this: 0:00 - A hitting off 10th tee;     B walking off 9th green;    C hitting into 9th green;   D on 9th tee;                E walking off 8;            F approach shot on 8. 0:06 - A approach shot on 10; B hitting tee shot on 10;   C walking off 9th Green;  D hitting into 9th green; E on 9th tee box;          F walking off 8. 0:12 - A walking off 10;           B  approach on 10;          C teeing off on 10;           D walking off 9th green; E hitting into 9th green; F on 9th tee 0:24 - A teeing off 11;             B walking off 10;             C; hitting approach on 10; D; teeing off on 10;       E walking off 9;             F hitting approach on 9. 0:36 - A approach on 11;        B teeing off 11;               C walking off 10;               D approach 10;            E; teeing off 10;            F walking off 9. 0:48 - F tees off on 10.   So in 48 minutes you'd have 6 groups teeing off #10. In your scenario, with B taking a 15 minute pit stop: 0:00 - A hitting off 10th tee; B walks off goes for snack ;   C hitting into 9th green;       D on 9th tee;                               E walking off 8;                         F approach shot on 8. 0:06 - A approach shot on 10; B still in proshop 10;             C walking off 9th Green;      D hitting into 9th green;                E on 9th tee box;                      F walking off 8. 0:12 - A walking off 10;           C teeing off on 10; B still in proshop ;            D walking off 9th green;                 E hitting into 9th green;             F on 9th tee 0:24 - A teeing off 11;             C hitting approach on 10; B teeing off on 10 ; D [S]teeing off on 10[/S] waiting for B ; E walking off 9;                        F hitting approach on 9. 0:36 - A  approach on 11;       C walking off 10; B approach shot on 10 ; D [S]approach 10[/S] teeing off on 10 ; E [S]teeing off 10[/S] waiting for D ;    F walking off 9. 0:48 - F [S]tees off on 10[/S] waiting for E. So if you stop for 15 minutes at the turn, only 5 groups get off in that same amount of time, adding 6 minutes to D, E, F and everyone that follows that day.  Other people stopping just compounds the problem.   Edit:  So apparently there's a chart function.  :doh:   Edit 2: B and D would arrive at the 10th tee at about the same time.  If D teed off first, they could avoid the delay, but everyone after them is still F'd.

A little confusing to read but if I see this correctly you think a 12 minute POP on a hole is 6 minutes to tee and 6 minutes to approach and putt. I have never asked but believe this to be highly unlikely. You are also not incorporating the time D would be waiting for C to hit their approach shots and putting out. In fact if this course is packed in like this scenario then unless A was the first group out and B was seriously the only group out of all these golfers that wanted to stop, I will assume it's all you guys playing today, then C should catch up to A in roughly 3 to 4 shots and the course would not be affected at all after a couple of groups. Also out of curiosity how many of y'all anti turn snack folks walk the course.

James

Quote:

Also out of curiosity how many of y'all anti turn snack folks walk the course.

Which has nothing to do with anything in this topic.

Rick

Which has nothing to do with anything in this topic.

+1

Rich C.

4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW

I'm not sure why people keep talking about "call in" phones?  This sounds so 1980s and before.    The last time I checked, this is the 2010s and it's not that difficult to call the clubhouse to make an order.   Hell...the phone number is on the scorecard to assist those with dinosaur phones without internet................ and/or those who don't possess enough smarts to google a phone number or find it on a scorecard.  Geez.....lol

Probably because some courses are in places with little to no cell phone service.  A land line would reduce the obnoxiousness of having to order food with crappy cell phone service.

A little confusing to read but if I see this correctly you think a 12 minute POP on a hole is 6 minutes to tee and 6 minutes to approach and putt. I have never asked but believe this to be highly unlikely. You are also not incorporating the time D would be waiting for C to hit their approach shots and putting out. In fact if this course is packed in like this scenario then unless A was the first group out and B was seriously the only group out of all these golfers that wanted to stop, I will assume it's all you guys playing today, then C should catch up to A in roughly 3 to 4 shots and the course would not be affected at all after a couple of groups.

Also out of curiosity how many of y'all anti turn snack folks walk the course.

The point is that the group behind you doesn't magically appear on the 10th tee when you go to the clubhouse.  They still have to hit to the green and putt out.  They don't get to the 10th tee any faster.  That means the next group doesn't get to the 10th tee any faster.  And either them, or more likely the group behind them, is going to get to the 10th tee at their normal pace, and you're going to be standing on it.  So they're going to have to wait for you, and then the gap between them and the following group is smaller, so the next group will have to wait on 10.  And that continues.

Maybe the groups that jumped ahead of you will play a bit faster and catch up.  And maybe everyone that follows will do the same and the overall time on the course is unchanged.  But even in that scenario--which is very favorable to your position--everyone has to stand around waiting on 10 because you created a delay there.

Of course, if its not crowded then any delay is less disruptive.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Note: This thread is 3586 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!