IGNORED

Etiquette: Having lunch after 9

David-Dj Bryant
Note: This thread is 3593 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ya-  if you stop for a full-on lunch at the turn you're gonna have to wait for an opening to get back on the course . .or ask the starter if he can re-insert you if the course is packed.

Definitely a better plan to have a meal before or after your round.  I have dropped playing partners because they take too long at the turn (not mid-round . .but I don't call them to play again).  Even the hotdog grabbers get on my nerves.  Heck . .even the guys who stop the cart girl more than once or twice get on my nerves, lol.  Are we here to play golf or to eat and drink?

A drink and a snack at the most and that's if somebody ( like my wife) has to go to the bathroom, but usually no stop at all.

Any more than that is bound to cause a backup.

Being at a little CC in the south no, lunch at the turn is not a custom.  I get a little shaken if a partner decides to sit down to eat.  Eat on the go, take that hot dog in the cart, I'm tryna golf here folks.

Stop in, grab a drink and a brat and go back to the cart. Eat it during the downtime.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It seems like most courses around here, if they offer lunch, typically have either a phone or a phone number posted at the 9th tee instructing you to call in ahead of time and pick it up. The private ones I play at also have a sign saying that if you go in the clubhouse at all you have to get permission to go back onto the 10th.

At most courses I've played at, the staff have been perfectly fine with us stopping after the 9th, if we do decide to stop. If the course is not busy, we'll usually sit down and order a fuller meal. If the course is full, we'll run in quickly and get a snack or water. It all depends on if the course is busy or not. (And the time of day, of course! :) )

When we do sit down, the marshals usually tell us to check in with them when we start the back nine. When we rush quickly to get a snack, they don't really care too much. I guess they probably account for people stopping or something like that, at least at the courses I've been at.

Also, if I'm on a good playing streak (hitting the clubs good, ball straight, etc), I decide not to stop, to keep the momentum going.

Driver: :cobra: BiO Cell (10.5º)

Wood: :ping: G15 3 (15.5°)

Hybrids: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 3 (21º), 4 (24º)

Irons: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 5-PW

Wedges: :cleveland:588 RTX CB 50º, Paradise Black Chrome II Sand Wedge 56º

Quick dog and beer. If you're a slow eater, eat it on your way to the next tee and continue after you tee off on 10. Otherwise, Jenna Jameson that dog and keep it moving!

If you have enough time to sit down and have a conversation, you spent more than enough time in the clubhouse. I usually go straight in, grab our food, get beer/water/gatorade or whatever and I'm walking back to the cart.

I have only had to get on one group of people in the last 2 years, when me and my buddy got jumped by a foursome who took it upon themselves to jump us on the turn when we stopped at the clubhouse for a quick cooler refill and they turned to 10 with every intention of passing us. They felt dumb when we got to the tee before all four of them could get out of their carts.

Originally Posted by David-Dj Bryant

I'm a weekend warrior at best and have a question on etiquette:

We were playing a round the other week and after 9 holes we stopped at the club house and had lunch.

When we got back on to the 10th we were behind 10 other groups so we naturally waited. Another group approached and someone in their group said rather rudely we forfeited our spot by stopping for lunch.

What's the proper thing to do here? I have no idea what normal etiquette is but to me I would think that a) The golf course I would suspect likes having a four-some stop and do a $100 bill at the club house, b) On a busy day, we would never get back on the course lol.

Are you saying that there were actually 10 groups stacked up on the 10th tee??  I find it hard to believe that all these groups were making the turn.  If the starting was sending new players off 10, then you definitely would want to check with him before going to lunch.

How many groups were waiting on 10 as you got off the 9th green- if it was more than 4, you would likely have had time for a 30 minute lunch without losing your turn (but there is the issue of how you hold your place- again check with the starter).

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

LOL...funny post.  Only non-golfers (as I call them) stop at the turn for a sit-down meal.   I am in full support for you stopping for a meal so long as you aren't playing with me!!!

...........if I am behind, yes please stop!! Your group is probably slow as hell anyway, so please eat so I can skip past your group at the turn!!

My group will stop in for a quick second to take a pee, grab a Gatorade and a dog to go.....and wave goodby as we take your position on the course. By all means....take your time!

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut

LOL...funny post.  Only non-golfers (as I call them) stop at the turn for a sit-down meal.   I am in full support for you stopping for a meal so long as you aren't playing with me!!!

...........if I am behind, yes please stop!! Your group is probably slow as hell anyway, so please eat so I can skip past your group at the turn!!

My group will stop in for a quick second to take a pee, grab a Gatorade and a dog to go.....and wave goodby as we take your position on the course. By all means....take your time!

So you are the lucky one...I always wondered who got to skate on by as those 3 or 4 groups decided to stop.

I always seem to come around the corner to the tenth tee box about 5 minutes after they all finish eating and it looks like a golf cart train waiting in line.

Coincidence or not: Those that stop to eat and get in line in front of me on the tenth tee are always the slowest players on the course.

Courses here are far too busy in the afternoon for someone to stop for longer than about 5 minutes.  I play in the mornings and usually stop for water at the turn and have time for food if I wanted.

Originally Posted by MS256

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut

So you are the lucky one...I always wondered who got to skate on by as those 3 or 4 groups decided to stop.

I always seem to come around the corner to the tenth tee box about 5 minutes after they all finish eating and it looks like a golf cart train waiting in line.

Coincidence or not: Those that stop to eat and get in line in front of me on the tenth tee are always the slowest players on the course.

Crazy.  Any courses I play, if you take more than just a couple of minutes to grab a dog and hoof it to #10 you lose your place, and there is no standing in line to continue.  You wait until there is an actual opening, and that goes by the tee sheet, not just course flow.  You snooze, you lose, period.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Crazy.  Any courses I play, if you take more than just a couple of minutes to grab a dog and hoof it to #10 you lose your place, and there is no standing in line to continue.  You wait until there is an actual opening, and that goes by the tee sheet, not just course flow.  You snooze, you lose, period.

Most of the courses I play are not crowded at all and there is never an issue. All bets are off when we go somewhere else to play though. The last time was at a city course in Chattanooga and the tenth tee was a train wreck. There was a starter at that course on the first tee box (not uncommon around here to not have a starter at all) but nobody was monitoring the disaster at 10.

Originally Posted by MS256

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Most of the courses I play are not crowded at all and there is never an issue. All bets are off when we go somewhere else to play though. The last time was at a city course in Chattanooga and the tenth tee was a train wreck. There was a starter at that course on the first tee box (not uncommon around here to not have a starter at all) but nobody was monitoring the disaster at 10.

As the starter at my home course, I ran the first and 10th tees (as well as the first tee in the Executive 9), and nobody went out on either tee unless I cleared it.  Nobody went out on the course unless they had checked in with me and I saw a receipt.  If they came off 9 and weren't on 10 in a reasonable time, they got one warning and that was it.  Ignore the warning and you wait for the next opening, which could be hours away.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

• 10 months later...
Just started playing less than a year ago. So a different spin on this topic. What about taking a leak. At the nicer public courses in our area, going to the bathroom and grabbing a beer at the turn hasn't been an issue. I have gotten the feel that anlittlem juggling of order is expected/accepted at the turn. Our local municipal course has been the issue. Signs advertise to call ahead to the grill. There are no bathrooms ANYWHERE on the course. Only the clubhouse. If you hurry, it still takes a while to drive over, take a leak, and get a beer or not and get to the tenth tee. As fast as you can go, you will be passed by several groups. Usually not an issue, but today a pair got their assets on their shoulder. Smiled and toldmthem to to go ahead b/c they made a big deal about it even after we told them we had played the front nine and gone to the bathroom. Most other times people that even say anything are fine when they find out you aren't trying to start on the 10th. I would have laughed it off, but these two sucked and played slow. Not one to criticize b/c I am just learning and am happy to break 100, but their attitude coupled with the fact that they slowed my son and I down kinda pissed me off. So is this just quirk of a poorly marshalled course with to much distance betwween 9/10 and the facilities/clubhouse? Whether drinking beer or staying hydrated with water, you can't expect everyone to go four hours without pissing. I get that you dont want to disrupt the flowmof play, but some common sense has to factor in.

I'm a serious lardass with a monstrous appetite, but I never stop for food at the turn and don't enjoy playing with people who do. I just can't stand the flow of the round being interrupted. If I've had a crappy front 9, I'm in a hurry to try to get things turned around. If I've had a good front, I want to see if I can keep up the momentum. If my play has been average for me, I'm in a hurry to see if the round is going to go one way or the other. Basically, I just have no patience.

If there's a backup on the 10th tee, that's a little different in regard to one of my playing partners grabbing a quick bite. If there's no logjam, I prefer no delays at all. I don't ever want to play a round that features a full meal in the middle, no matter how good the food is. I'll wait until we're done.

As far as nature calling, most golf courses (with their trees and other physical features) are among the easiest places in the world to achieve on-ground relief in the absence of a nearby facility (at least in regard to No. 1 for males). I accomplished it right off the back of the 18th tee at Pebble Beach, right over the rustic-looking wooden rail. I was paired with a guy from Minnesota and he opted to do it, too. Granted, it was getting near dark. If it hadn't been, I doubt I would've done it and I know the Minnesota guy wouldn't have.

John

Ha...just Try having lunch at the turn here in L.A. 30 groups would have passed you in that time... :-$

Ya-  if you stop for a full-on lunch at the turn you're gonna have to wait for an opening to get back on the course . .or ask the starter if he can re-insert you if the course is packed.

Definitely a better plan to have a meal before or after your round.  I have dropped playing partners because they take too long at the turn (not mid-round . .but I don't call them to play again).  Even the hotdog grabbers get on my nerves.  Heck . .even the guys who stop the cart girl more than once or twice get on my nerves, lol.  Are we here to play golf or to eat and drink?

Yeah I'm kinda like this too.

Note: This thread is 3593 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!