IGNORED

iron play

Note: This thread is 6082 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am in liv ewith my irons - at least most of them - 7 to pitching wedge is awesome - I almost never miss with them - and they are so precise it is ridiculous - they are my "show off" clubs. ANyway - i used yto hit y six iron just the same and now i cant hit it for nothing....i never hit the 4 or th 5 consistently - but im finding myself needing these 3 irons more and more - but its always a crap shoot.....

And tips for hitting this irons or should I go to hybrids???

What is the issue? is it hooking? slicing? shanks? or are you just not making contact and not being able to get it in the air?
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

that tyoe of in fo would be good right??? sorry -

My 6 iron used to be a nice trajectory distance - sometimes a nice draw... but now its always a thin shot that stings through my club to my hands and doesnt go too far - maybe a100 yards..

My 4 and 5 iron is getting the distances i would i assume i should get - around 180 on the 4 170 on the 5 - but with a really nasty hook or slice very low shots.

I am making terrible contact with these clubs and cant seem to hit down on them like i do with the shorter irons.

Your 5 and 4 are probably doing that because your opening or closing the club face. When coming down on the forward swing, try not to roll your wrists too much, this causes the clubface to open. Another thing i was doing was i was whipping out my hip towards my target before the club was coming down to the ball. Closing the clubface can come from again wrist turn, try to keep the wrists straight. Also you need to try and come down more on the ball like you are with your lower club, try a steeper swing on the clubs you are having problems with. And remember, have confidence. Im sure someone else on here can help you out alot more than I can.
In My Bag

5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

thats a problem - im losing loyts of confidence when it comes to these clubs......

Thats also a big factor in mishits, think positive, and most likely when you do, the shot you want will happen.
In My Bag

get to the range and try fixing it, if not find out whats wrong. and just get the confidence in your club. I always hit a low knock down shot with low irons, i find you get more spin, and easy to hit

My 6 iron used to be a nice trajectory distance - sometimes a nice draw... but now its always a thin shot that stings through my club to my hands and doesnt go too far - maybe a100 yards..

6 iron - you are probably hitting it off the toe. When you find a solution to this problem, let me know, because it's killing my game as well.

4 and 5 iron - club face is probably open (slice) or closed (hook). A hybrid won't solve that problem although it may produce slightly better results off a toe shot.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

I ha dthe same problems with my 3 iron - i replaced it with a hybrid and i hit my hybrid straight and around 190-200 - with little effort..... thts why i wondered if the hybrids would make a difference....

If you are able to pure your 7-PW, then the problem you are most likely having with your longer irons is mental. Its the same swing, just a longer club. I see many people get that longer club in their hand and immediately over swing trying to get more distance than they need out of the club. Get to the range with your 4-6 iron and try hitting straight shots 140ish yards. This will slow your tempo down and allow you to focus on form. One you are hitting the ball on the line you want, start speeding your swing back up to its normal speed, making sure that you are still hitting the target line you are aiming for. Put that 4 iron in your hand and make your 8 iron swing, you'd be amazed how well you will hit the ball when you arent trying so hard.
In My Bag
Driver: R5 TP 9.5 Diamana
3 Wood: V-Steel 15* UST V2
5 Wood: R7 Steel
Hybrids: Heavenwood 20* UST V2 Rescue Mid 22* UST V2Irons: RAC LT2 5-9 Project X FlightedWedges: RAC Black TP 47* 51* 55* 60*Putter: White Hot 2 BallBalls: One Black

wenyt to the range tried what you said - hit the 6 iron awesome again. i was loveing life - the 5 still a little trouble distance was good - but spraying everywhere, and never hit the sweet spot - the 4 iron im beginning to think is useless for me like my 3 iron.... i have a slow swing speed and im pretty short so i dont know if that has anyything to do with it..... im only 5'5" - someone told me id do better if my clubs were shorter -

Man.... if there were one thing I could tell all golfers it would be to get your equipment fit to you and your swing. I know most people dont have Hotstix right around the corner for a dynamic fitting, but a static fitting is better than no fitting at all. At 5'5" I would have to guess that "off the rack" clubs arent going to fit you. Chances are your clubs are both too long and too upright for you.... but thats just a guess.
In My Bag
Hybrids: Heavenwood 20* UST V2 Rescue Mid 22* UST V2Irons: RAC LT2 5-9 Project X FlightedWedges: RAC Black TP 47* 51* 55* 60*Putter: White Hot 2 BallBalls: One Black

Heres what i did. I bought my clubs off the shelf used. did not get a proper fitting, but kept in mind that they are forged so i can get them bent whenever i want. A week or so bfore i bought my irons, i tried out a set of ping g2's which i almost bought because I was hitting them so well, they were orange dot (2 degree flat) and 1/4" short. I was hitting them at the driving range awesome, just lost alot of distance due to the fact that they had stiff shafts.... i needed reg..... ANyway, i went to pins site and put in the info and sure enough it came with the same specs, orange dot, 1.4" short.

So i went to the store and had them bend my irons 2 deg flat and i saw an immediat ediffernece in ball direction and accuracy.... I didnt cut anything becasue I wanted to waiting until i had a full proper fitting to do anything like that.

I was trying to get my swing down pat before I go get fit - or am i doing it backwards????? should i go get fit first?????I know that the 2 degree flat has helped me immensly becasue before the mizunos - i owned a set of cleveland launcher LP, They were standard lie - and i would pull everything-

WOuld a 1/4" make a huge difference in the shaft????

You are going about it the right way. Get your swing so it is repeatable before you go to get fit. Otherwise you are just wasting your time. The extra 1/4 inch on your shafts could mean that your irons are still too upright for you. You could always go the cheap way an have them butt trim the shafts 1/4 inch, but depending on the shaft it may throw off the entire flex profile. I would play with them for while until you get your swing right where you want it and then get professionally fit. The online tools will give you a general direction as to what you will need, but there is not substitute for getting professionally fit.....and that goes for all clubs, even your putter.
In My Bag

i was fitted for my putter - i have another post going on about that...

as for the irons - I am thinking of getting a proper fitting tyhe end of this month..as long as I can get my six iron back into the zone.....otherwise i will wait - otherwise i am very happy with my iron swing -

also i was wondering about wedges - should they be fit as well???? i hit mine awesome and straight so im not going to change anything - but do you normally get fit for wedges???

I really dont know what the hell happened to my iron game - with my clevelands i had no problems hitting the long irons - maybe they were more forgiving them the mx-23.....

When buying wedges you really need to consider the type of courses and conditions you usually play in. You will also want to buy the proper lofts to make sure that you have consistent gaps in your yardages from club to club. Bounce angles are going to vary, and thats where the course conditions come in. If you typically play courses with very fluffy sand and deep rough, you are going to want to look into getting some wedges with more bounce, firmer courses with less rough and firm sand will require less bounce. Short game creativity also comes into the picture when buying wedges. If you like opening up the face of your wedges around the greens, you may want to buy a wedge that sits a little flatter when the face is open. Its all personal preference, but higher cap players would do better with a gap wedge in their bag than a lob wedge. You really just gotta try different clubs and see what suits your game.
In My Bag

well if you want to hit the ball thin and want to take some ground put your hands a bit forward of the club face, my pro told me to do it.

In the OGIO OZONE Bag
Driver: SuperQuad 9.5
3 Wood- V steel 15 ALDILA NV s
Irons- Hogan Apex FTX
Wedges- CG14 52 56Putter- Odyssey XG model #9Ball- Pro v 1 xShoes- Adidas Tour Metal

Note: This thread is 6082 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!