IGNORED

Travel and Staying Sharp with the Golf Swing

BostonBrew
Note: This thread is 2951 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Despite the "events" of yesterday that some of you in chat were privy to, I received confirmation of my promotion today at work. Pretty pumped, especially about the pay increase. The new position, however, will have me on the road 75-90% of the time. I'll be at the job site typically for 4 weeks at a time. Some jobs will be much shorter. Driving to the job sites won't be a problem as I can just throw my clubs in the car.

But my worry is about the jobs that require flying. Essentially, I'll be flying in on Sunday nights and flying back home Friday nights. So my question is this: Anyone have tips for getting practice and rounds in when you don't have your clubs with you? I thought about just going to golf courses in the area and borrowing a demo club or two and hitting some balls at the range.

Also, unfortunately my training will be in Houston, not Dayton. So I won't have the opportunity to head to Erie and get some work in with the guys. Might have to consider signing up for evolvr.

Congrats on the promotion! I travel a lot for work as well. I usually end up at a golf shop hitting in their tunnel or trying to demo something at a range.

Let me know when you'll be in Houston and we'll see if we can get a group together.

Tyler Martin

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Your company won't pay for airline baggage? I'd play every single free evening I wasn't working late.................

I traveled for while, and it sukked.  The only good thing was that I could play golf until dark every night while on the road.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

• Administrator

You can carry two clubs on planes now. Take a putter and a 6-iron, or a wedge and a 6-iron.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

You can carry two clubs on planes now. Take a putter and a 6-iron, or a wedge and a 6-iron.

Did not know that. Will probably do that then.

Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut

Your company won't pay for airline baggage? I'd play every single free evening I wasn't working late.................

I traveled for while, and it sukked.  The only good thing was that I could play golf until dark every night while on the road.

They likely would. That's not the problem. I've seen how the luggage crews toss around the bags. I'd rather not have my clubs receive that treatment.

I don't mean to be harsh, but that sounds stupid.  what's the point of traveling with 2 golf clubs? LOL

WTF good is it to have 2 clubs if you plan to play any real golf?  Either bring a set....or rent a set.  I don't get it...........

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

• Administrator
Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut

I don't mean to be harsh, but that sounds stupid.  what's the point of traveling with 2 golf clubs? LOL

WTF good is it to have 2 clubs if you plan to play any real golf?  Either bring a set....or rent a set.  I don't get it...........

The title of the thread includes "staying sharp". Two clubs will allow you to "stay sharp" by hitting some balls now and then at a practice range without having to pay $50, $100, or whatever to carry your clubs along (and risk having them lost, broken, etc.).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

The title of the thread includes "staying sharp". Two clubs will allow you to "stay sharp" by hitting some balls now and then at a practice range without having to pay $50, $100, or whatever to carry your clubs along (and risk having them lost, broken, etc.).

Exactly. That's all I'm looking for. I just want to be able to hit balls and stay golf conditioned. If I don't hit balls for a week or two, my swing suffers. Especially the short game.

Originally Posted by geauxforbroke

http://www.allinonegolfclub.com/

Hahaha, I was actually wondering if anyone made something like that. But I think I'll pass.

Bringing a couple of clubs on the plane sounds like the easiest way to do this. With a 6 iron and putter you could actually play some golf on the course as well, but if it's primarily for practice purposes, it sounds perfect.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

• 2 years later...
On 7/19/2013 at 9:59 AM, BostonBrew said:

Despite the "events" of yesterday that some of you in chat were privy to, I received confirmation of my promotion today at work. Pretty pumped, especially about the pay increase. The new position, however, will have me on the road 75-90% of the time. I'll be at the job site typically for 4 weeks at a time. Some jobs will be much shorter. Driving to the job sites won't be a problem as I can just throw my clubs in the car.

But my worry is about the jobs that require flying. Essentially, I'll be flying in on Sunday nights and flying back home Friday nights. So my question is this: Anyone have tips for getting practice and rounds in when you don't have your clubs with you? I thought about just going to golf courses in the area and borrowing a demo club or two and hitting some balls at the range.

Also, unfortunately my training will be in Houston, not Dayton. So I won't have the opportunity to head to Erie and get some work in with the guys. Might have to consider signing up for evolvr.

This thread is old but totally relevant to me. (I only found it with Google's help)

Some of the suggestions are taking 2 clubs as carry on and looking for a nearby range I guess.

For whatever reason I've had a hard time finding nearby ranges that are open when I travel. I think in Texas the mosquitoes are so bad at sunset they close up early.

Do any of you road warriors bring clubs just to practice the swing in the hotel room? 

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

Note: This thread is 2951 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!